Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boosted XB dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRTc
^^yeah I have a 8.7psi spring and my boost gauge is always pegged to 8psi at WOT. It's more commonly pressure loss through all the piping/intercooler, no biggie.

Since it's your DD and an AT is this where it ends, Brett?
Yeah, I figure if I'm losing less than 1 psi to the IC, etc. that's pretty good. I only mentioned it for accuracy since the dyno guy put 6psi on the sheet instead of 5psi. That and some setups tend to spike above the WG spring psi but mine doesn't.

This is where it ends for now. If and when the tranny needs replacement I may consider other options. Maybe a 5 speed MT swap or a built AT. Then I could bump the power up to 300+. For now though I'm very happy with this setup. I'm still a bit amazed at how much difference the new intake and MAS setup made.

Originally Posted by crush02342002
sucks you guys couldnt lock it out..your only getting half the story doing it at that rpm. but hey you do what ya gatta do
Yeah, I wish this trans was like my old 626 where I could manually select and hold any gear. At least I now know that it's possible to lock it into a gear. ScanXL has a console feature for sending commands to the ECU. I wonder if it's possible, given the right command, to do this? Something for me to investigate. Thx.

Originally Posted by johnhawkins
Sick Fred I love it!!!! I love the way it feels with the stock ECU - I was going to run the stock ecu, 550cc injectors, fuel return, and e85 but I ordred some 700cc and opted to go with the Neo to tune (against all odds) but will be using OP3 cuz I dont give 2 poops about a CEL - If for some reason I have trouble tuning it with the 700cc and the Neo I will go the other route (550cc, Stock ECU, Split Second Enrichment, e85, fuel return,and 8psi)
Thanks John! I haven't posted much but I've been following your build thread progress since the beginning. I like what you're doing and that you have the ballz to try things that others say can't be done. It sounds a little crazy but I think you might just pull it off with the Neo. The injectors have to flow 40-45% more fuel with E85 and you can do some tuning with fuel pressure. My gut feeling is that 700cc might be too big for the Neo but I'll be watching your progress with much interest and wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by ScionFred; 09-30-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I figured with e85 consuming more volume than regular gas and have the options to turn the fuel pressure down I could get it to work. I figure a base pressure of 38psi would give the 700cc injectors the equivalant rating of a 650cc injector. I wouldnt really want to lower the fuel pressure any more due to trouble with atomizing the fuel. I also think I will be able to get it to work. Plus, I love how I can mount the Neo and have something to look at rather than something shoved into my glove box or dash.

PS - I will be using open loop 3 lock by disconnecting my o2 sensor I dont really care about a CEL. Allowing me to subtract fuel all the way down to 500rpm/idle.

Also, my understanding with e85 is that it pulls LESS timing compared to regular pump gas due to its higher octane making it safer than using reglar pump gas.

Last edited by johnhawkins; 10-05-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In regards to the 550cc, stock ecu, and fuel return it would WORK. I did not say a perfect tune or anything like that.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
And just to add to the data displayed, when I was on the 16G turbo, my torque curved was the same. Huge tq numbers early in the rpm (3xxxrpm) and would fall sharply toward redline. But I preferred it that way for the streets. For the track, a larger power band and flatter tq curve is more suitable.
Thank you. I chose my manifold, turbo and exhaust size based on street use and I'm very happy with the results. IMO it's preferable to have TQ peak early for DD street use and especially with a AT. I may not have a lot of hp or tq but it's always there when I want it.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In regards to the 550cc, stock ecu, and fuel return it would WORK. I did not say a perfect tune or anything like that.
This sounds very reasonable to me if using e85 instead of pump gas. I'm looking forward to your results with 700cc and the Neo. I think you may surprise a few people.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
did u really just say u were going to run stock ecu with 550cc injects, and e85? I wish i could slap you through the computer.

Bro save ur money for a piggybank stop bieng a moron.

I am doing this now just cuz you said I couldnt! Just to let you know.

Do you want your slap now? or later?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I am doing this now just cuz you said I couldnt! Just to let you know.

Do you want your slap now? or later?

You can't go over Niagara Falls in a Canoe and live to tell about it. Now, you want to prove me wrong....LOL.

I know somethings are worth doing because some said it can't be done, but seriously bro....
Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't go over Niagara Falls in a Canoe and live to tell about it. Now, you want to prove me wrong....LOL.

I know somethings are worth doing because some said it can't be done, but seriously bro....
People have done it in a barrel and survived

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yweAc...eature=related
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

People have done it in a barrel and survived

Why you think I said canoe? LOL...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hehehe
Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

One of the seven wonders of the world 20 minutes away from the shop. Funny!

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lololol - yea I know im crazy but I have to do it....I wasnt really mad by what soflo said Im just messing around with him...but I am going to do it....partial throttle should be ok too becuase the e85 will allow cooler comustion temps thus allowing a safer, higher afr in part throttle.

PS - I live by Niagra Falls too lol maybe that why Im crazy.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just be sure to raise your fuel pressure or those 550s might only be good for ~250bhp with E85. I assume you're aiming higher than that. With a bone-stock fuel system I'm almost maxing out 440s at only 260bhp on 93 pump. 440 x 1.47 = 647cc.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Just be sure to raise your fuel pressure or those 550s might only be good for ~250bhp with E85. I assume you're aiming higher than that. With a bone-stock fuel system I'm almost maxing out 440s at only 260bhp on 93 pump. 440 x 1.47 = 647cc.

Thanks for all your help - Yea I plan to deff raise the fuel pressure and the ss enricher is on my list too - love the driveability with the stock ecu
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all your help - Yea I plan to deff raise the fuel pressure and the ss enricher is on my list too - love the driveability with the stock ecu
Good luck. I'm looking forward to your results.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question about my dyno results. After looking at a lot of 2AZ dyno sheets I've noticed that the torque curve generally falls off after peaking between 4-5k rpm. Some fall off more than mine and others less but in a few cases I've seen really flat tq curves even at low boost (6-8psi). What are some of the factors that affect this? I can't believe that tuning alone can make such a dramatic difference. Can a small turbine housing affect the tq curve? What about the manifold? EL vs say cast iron? Exhaust restriction?

Just looking for ideas, TIA.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think anything that can cause back pressure will affect the tq. compression, head design, turbo housing, turbo wheels, afr, turbo manifold design, exhaust, the list goes on really of possible causes. Im curious how much tq would be affected by just pnp the head and larger valves.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think anything that can cause back pressure will affect the tq. compression, head design, turbo housing, turbo wheels, afr, turbo manifold design, exhaust, the list goes on really of possible causes. Im curious how much tq would be affected by just pnp the head and larger valves.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. The end result is the sum of it's parts. Then we also have dyno results like these from 2 XBs with the same exact turbo kit and boost recorded on the same dyno. The only differences between these setups are intake, exhaust and tune. The red run in the first sheet looks like mine with higher boost and the tq peak moved up 500rpm and the third has an amazing tq curve.

You want to know the funny part? The first XB (sheet 1) had a full 3" exhaust and the second one (sheets 2&3) had stock exhaust with a TRD axle-back! The XB's stock exhaust tapers from 2.25" to 1.8" ID before reaching the 2.5" TRD axle-back. These results fly in the face of what I've been told about turbo exhaust design. Unless Rob misspoke when he said "TRD exhaust only" because the only TRD exhaust for the XB is a 2.5" ID axle-back.

I wonder if the red run was taken under very hot conditions like mine was? ECT over 200F and IAT over 120F with no airflow thru the IC or to the air filter. I know that the stock ECU has guardian features like the X1 and pulls ign timing above preset ECT and IAT temps. I may have to dyno test again in better (cooler) conditions. I want a nice phat tq curve like sheet 3.

Full 3" exhaust^^

Name:  ShawnxBwithIM.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  35.9 KB

Stock exhaust with TRD axle-back

Last edited by ScionFred; 10-26-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Yeah, I suppose you're right. The end result is the sum of it's parts. Then we also have dyno results like these from 2 XBs with the same exact turbo kit and boost recorded on the same dyno. The only differences between these setups are intake, exhaust and tune. The red run in the first sheet looks like mine with higher boost and the tq peak moved up 500rpm and the third has an amazing tq curve.

You want to know the funny part? The first XB (sheet 1) had a full 3" exhaust and the second one (sheets 2&3) had stock exhaust with a TRD axle-back! The XB's stock exhaust tapers from 2.25" to 1.8" ID before reaching the 2.5" TRD axle-back. These results fly in the face of what I've been told about turbo exhaust design.

There are plenty of variables other than the kit even that will play a role in the power made Brett. Just because it's bigger does not mean it's better.

So both xB2s had about the same componentry, but I am sure they are not 100% identical. The turbine wheel and/or A/R alone could have enough bearing to change the power curves like that not even counting other variables like the tune, plugs, octane ran, exhaust size, ambient temp, baro pressure, boost levels, compressor efficiency etc etc.

You must view turbocharging as the larger picture and not just the kit. Once you can see past that one tree, you will see the forest.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
There are plenty of variables other than the kit even that will play a role in the power made Brett. Just because it's bigger does not mean it's better.

So both xB2s had about the same componentry, but I am sure they are not 100% identical. The turbine wheel and/or A/R alone could have enough bearing to change the power curves like that not even counting other variables like the tune, plugs, octane ran, exhaust size, ambient temp, baro pressure, boost levels, compressor efficiency etc etc.

You must view turbocharging as the larger picture and not just the kit. Once you can see past that one tree, you will see the forest.
Paul, at the risk of sounding offended by your condescension, DUH!

I'm not trying to understand why different turbo setups produce different results, I'm trying to better understand the complex interaction of the component variables so that I may apply this knowledge for my benefit and possibly other readers who don't already know everything.

Perhaps you can explain the marked difference between the 2 runs in sheet #1? Aside from different boost levels, I doubt they changed much else in between runs. What would cause a very flat tq curve to fall off so drastically after 5000rpm simply by raising the boost level? I'd like to know.

Quick Reply: Boosted XB dyno results