Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Bouncing boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
we sell a 38mm to 44mm adapter flange if your interested. Also I use Tial wastegates, and we use them on all of our cars in the shop. Never had a problem with one.

Here is a link to the adapter.

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/...Flange-T304-SS
That seems like a pretty nice adaptor, but i think it would cause the wg to sit too high on the manifold to where the dump tube wouldnt line up. Plus arent 44mms taller in general, making it even more of an alignment nightmare. The dumptube does move around a bit, but its more on the side to side movement, not up and down.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont have the wastegates in front of me, but i think the 44's might be larger in height. I'm not positive though. YOu could always just cut off the 38 flange and weld on the 44 v-band flange.

BTW sometimes I have the same problem with the 38 wastegate. I just live with it though. I forgot to add that haha.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

nice link but yeah thats the reason i upgraded to 44mm, takes care of the boost creep but generally makes a more consistent boost especially on low boost setting
Old 08-22-2009, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

So just to let everyone who was interested.... I installed my new Synapse WG and what a huge difference. The boost is sooooooo much smoother as is comes up to full boost and theres no more bouncing or fluttering. In general, the acceleration is alot smoother under partial throttle or wot.... and spool up time is alot quicker. If anyone is having funny boosting issues like I had... I recommend the synapse wastegate. It def fixed my problem.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:38 PM
SL Member

So it was the wastegate?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by slostjoe
So it was the wastegate?
I would say yes. I mean installed new wastegate, no more problem. But it didnt just resolve the problem.... it made accelerating in general much smoother and more precise.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yay for a new wastegate. What did you end up going with?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
yay for a new wastegate. What did you end up going with?
Synapse 40mm
Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 PM
SL Member

Well good thing its fixed regaurdless of what fixed it lol
Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by kirk212
So just to let everyone who was interested.... I installed my new Synapse WG and what a huge difference. The boost is sooooooo much smoother as is comes up to full boost and theres no more bouncing or fluttering. In general, the acceleration is alot smoother under partial throttle or wot.... and spool up time is alot quicker. If anyone is having funny boosting issues like I had... I recommend the synapse wastegate. It def fixed my problem.
Thank you so much for the follow up! I've been having the same issue on a dezod s1 kit, the boost flickers from 5-8 so bad that it just made it really hard to tune, from jumping all over the fuel map! I will be installing a different wastegate when I reinstall everything! Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boostedyota
Thank you so much for the follow up! I've been having the same issue on a dezod s1 kit, the boost flickers from 5-8 so bad that it just made it really hard to tune, from jumping all over the fuel map! I will be installing a different wastegate when I reinstall everything! Thanks again!
Boost flickers in the FIC readout of boost or on your boost gauge? Reason why I ask is because the S1 is usually ROCK solid on boost control and always has been. If you are running a el-cheapo boost gauge, then could be the problem on it's own.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Boost flickers in the FIC readout of boost or on your boost gauge? Reason why I ask is because the S1 is usually ROCK solid on boost control and always has been. If you are running a el-cheapo boost gauge, then could be the problem on it's own.
No both show a flickering boost level, like the Fic would jump around half way across the map. I'm gonna just try a different wastegate.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose it wont hurt to try, but also look for a boost leak. I did this with an old car and found my leak. I used a pvc end cap the same size as my charge piping and threaded and sealed an air hose fitting into the flat end. I then attached it to a coupler from my intake piping and gave it about 8-10 pounds of pressure from my air compressor while the engine was off. This way, it is silent (after your compressor is off obviously) and you can listen all around the engine bay to try and locate a leak.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
I suppose it wont hurt to try, but also look for a boost leak. I did this with an old car and found my leak. I used a pvc end cap the same size as my charge piping and threaded and sealed an air hose fitting into the flat end. I then attached it to a coupler from my intake piping and gave it about 8-10 pounds of pressure from my air compressor while the engine was off. This way, it is silent (after your compressor is off obviously) and you can listen all around the engine bay to try and locate a leak.
yup ^^^
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Already boost leak tested it nd did find a few small leaks, but still didn't fix the erratic boost level.