Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

bov on a s/c?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member

Default bov on a s/c?

I was looking into putting a bosch 110 on my s/c tc since I heard the stock 102 leaks some, but then I realized that since I'm buying a new part I could get a blow off instead. I've always loved the sound of a bov, and if I can get one on my s/c without any problems then that would be pretty cool.

I didn't know sc's could run bov's until pretty recently so could you guys please enlighten me on the ups and downs of putting a bov on a sc?

Could I use this one below with no problems?

http://dezod.com/pd_vortech_maxflow.cfm

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:19 AM
SL Member

lemme know if it works
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member

I have a HKS SSQBOV on my supercharger and it is sweet man. It does what its supposed to do as a by pass also. I wish i had a camera i would show you but i don't. But to answer your question yes. http://www.optionimports.com/hksbloffvaun.html. thats a link to a univeral hks ssqbov and if you scroll down on that page it has HKS SSQV BOV Recirculation Fitting and Aluminum Install Flange for HKS SSQV - 1" Hose Adapter. that would be perfect man. And i think those are pretty good prices too. hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the Greddy RS adjustable BOV can be run atmosphericly on a S/C tC... Ive only actually heard of one person that has/had that on their tC though. Im going to do it soon.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 AM
SL Member

which of all the options sounds most like a BOV?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

let me know who does this and how good it works with out any problems.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member

I talked to a friend about this, and he thinks the blow off sound would be muffled by the stock intake. How muffled will the sound be compared to the light whistle of the s/c?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member

with the hks you can hear it loud and clear very nice. even on the highway at high speeds.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 AM
SL Member

sounds clips anyone?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162287 same applies to superchargers. Recirc is most recommended for our cars. A hybrid BOV by Go Fast Bits or TurboSmart is a compromise between sound and driveability (reduces chances of stuttering/stalling between shifts that can happen with full atmospheric BOV). The sound won't be as loud as the turbo guys.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just use the forge 007 and look like less of a douche for not going out of the way to hurt the performance of your car just so you can hear a 'psh' sound.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member

I wasn't aware it hurt performance. Why is that? Does it really perform less than the 102 that leaks?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member

I have not stalled or it feeling like it would want to stall. You can also ask Jeremy garage1217. I bought my supercharger from him. I am telling you the HKS works like a charm. like the other guy said it wont be as loud as a turbo but people can still hear it going off. Your rpm would have to be around three thousand when you shift into another gear to hear it. You'll learn when to shift to hear the bov. i wish i had a camera to get you guys some clips.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05trdtc
I have not stalled or it feeling like it would want to stall. You can also ask Jeremy garage1217. I bought my supercharger from him. I am telling you the HKS works like a charm. like the other guy said it wont be as loud as a turbo but people can still hear it going off. Your rpm would have to be around three thousand when you shift into another gear to hear it. You'll learn when to shift to hear the bov. i wish i had a camera to get you guys some clips.
DO IT!!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I doubt I would switch but ide love to hear a vid. Someone you know has to have a digital camera (because almost all of them have pretty decent video functions).
Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watchin!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read the following link. It applies to the tC because the Evo is also MAF-based.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=209640

ATMOSPHERIC vs. RECIRCULATING vs. 50/50:

The BIG question.

The simple answer:

What kind of valve is your engine management system designed for and/or capable of allowing for the use of?

Yes, I answered a question with another question, but the real answer is, there is no simple answer. Each person will need to consider what their plans for their car are, what type of engine management system they will ultimately be using, and what valve can or can't be used with that type of system. “Blow-off valve sound” aside.

Firstly, we need to know what type of engine management can use what type of valve.

Mass AirFlow systems are designed as "closed-loop" systems requiring the use of a recirculating valve.

Speed Density systems are typically setup as closed-loop systems from the factory, but they can typically use either a recirculating OR atmospheric valve without any major detriment to the system.

MAP based systems (manifold absolute pressure) are typically capable of allowing for the use of either valve as well, but most MAP-based systems are fully stand-alone and require significant tuning to overcome any changes.

Now, with that said, the OEM ECU used on the Evo is a Mass Airflow system. It requires the use of a recirculating valve. If anyone, through the course of modifying their car, plans to continue to use the OEM ECU as the base for their engine management (even if some aftermarket tuner has uploaded new programming or a piggyback system is used), it is HIGHLY recommended to continue to use a recirculating valve.

The use of an atmospheric valve will cause a rich fuel mixture due to the loss of already metered air which the ECU is expecting to remain in the system. When the air is vented, the ECU dumps fuel into the system expecting the air to be there, and it's not. This rich fuel condition can sometimes be severe enough that the ECU cannot compensate for the condition and the car will run rough, not idle properly, experience a loss of power, and also experience poor fuel economy.

I have personally seen, on my own vehicle, a loss of as much as roughly 40 miles per full tank of fuel from using an atmospheric valve on a tuned, but otherwise stock engine management system.

If anyone, through the course of modifying their car, plans to switch their engine management from the OEM ECU to some form of standalone engine management (NOT a piggyback system, as even a piggyback still uses the OEM ECU), they can then, and only then, consider the use of an atmospheric valve, as such a system can compensate for, or be tuned to allow for the use of such a valve without any of the problems mentioned above.

50/50 valves, while seemingly great, are not an ideal solution by any measure, in my personal opinion.

(Yes, everything below is a personal opinion and subject to argument, but I’d like to think I know what I’m talking about.)

While they are designed to accomodate those with the desire for an increase in the "blow-off valve sound" from their car, they do so in a way that is still venting metered air, still causing a somewhat richer fuel condition, and still potentially leading to the above mentioned problems. While they may appear to work on any given vehicle, they are only doing so within a window that is not yet necessarily a largely detrimental problem to the OEM ECU at that time and it's ability to alow for the venting of metered air.

The difficulty lies in that there is no precise way to measure, at least cost effectively for aftermarket companies anyway, the PRECISE amount of air that can "safely" be vented out of the system and not cause a problem for the ECU, in whatever it's current state of tune may be, and it's ability to correctly add fuel to the system in the appropriate ratio. There are innumerable factors to consider that will never be perfectly "tuned" in a single 50/50 valve design to suit all applications.

50/50 valves are essentially trying to "trick" the ECU into believing that enough air is still being recirculated to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio under any given load condition, when, in fact, there is no way to effectively know what ratio should be used, if any at all.

The safe bet is to just use a recirulating valve where recommended and enjoy the security that you know that your ECU is not struggling to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio.

If the added sound is REALLY the most important thing to you, however, you must be willing to accept a level of risk that some problems MAY occur.

While it may be nice to have that blow-off valve (whooshing) sound, I personally feel that it's significantly more important to have a valve that will perform and operate properly for the given application regadless of the amount of noise it makes. I do not feel that valves should be designed to make a particular sound, nor to trick their engine management system, whether factory or aftermarket, into thinking the car is operating properly. Valves are meant to perform a specific function that should be done in a manner best suiting the specific application.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
Read the following link. It applies to the tC because the Evo is also MAF-based.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=209640

ATMOSPHERIC vs. RECIRCULATING vs. 50/50:

The BIG question.

The simple answer:

What kind of valve is your engine management system designed for and/or capable of allowing for the use of?

Yes, I answered a question with another question, but the real answer is, there is no simple answer. Each person will need to consider what their plans for their car are, what type of engine management system they will ultimately be using, and what valve can or can't be used with that type of system. “Blow-off valve sound” aside.

Firstly, we need to know what type of engine management can use what type of valve.

Mass AirFlow systems are designed as "closed-loop" systems requiring the use of a recirculating valve.

Speed Density systems are typically setup as closed-loop systems from the factory, but they can typically use either a recirculating OR atmospheric valve without any major detriment to the system.

MAP based systems (manifold absolute pressure) are typically capable of allowing for the use of either valve as well, but most MAP-based systems are fully stand-alone and require significant tuning to overcome any changes.

Now, with that said, the OEM ECU used on the Evo is a Mass Airflow system. It requires the use of a recirculating valve. If anyone, through the course of modifying their car, plans to continue to use the OEM ECU as the base for their engine management (even if some aftermarket tuner has uploaded new programming or a piggyback system is used), it is HIGHLY recommended to continue to use a recirculating valve.

The use of an atmospheric valve will cause a rich fuel mixture due to the loss of already metered air which the ECU is expecting to remain in the system. When the air is vented, the ECU dumps fuel into the system expecting the air to be there, and it's not. This rich fuel condition can sometimes be severe enough that the ECU cannot compensate for the condition and the car will run rough, not idle properly, experience a loss of power, and also experience poor fuel economy.

I have personally seen, on my own vehicle, a loss of as much as roughly 40 miles per full tank of fuel from using an atmospheric valve on a tuned, but otherwise stock engine management system.

If anyone, through the course of modifying their car, plans to switch their engine management from the OEM ECU to some form of standalone engine management (NOT a piggyback system, as even a piggyback still uses the OEM ECU), they can then, and only then, consider the use of an atmospheric valve, as such a system can compensate for, or be tuned to allow for the use of such a valve without any of the problems mentioned above.

50/50 valves, while seemingly great, are not an ideal solution by any measure, in my personal opinion.

(Yes, everything below is a personal opinion and subject to argument, but I’d like to think I know what I’m talking about.)

While they are designed to accomodate those with the desire for an increase in the "blow-off valve sound" from their car, they do so in a way that is still venting metered air, still causing a somewhat richer fuel condition, and still potentially leading to the above mentioned problems. While they may appear to work on any given vehicle, they are only doing so within a window that is not yet necessarily a largely detrimental problem to the OEM ECU at that time and it's ability to alow for the venting of metered air.

The difficulty lies in that there is no precise way to measure, at least cost effectively for aftermarket companies anyway, the PRECISE amount of air that can "safely" be vented out of the system and not cause a problem for the ECU, in whatever it's current state of tune may be, and it's ability to correctly add fuel to the system in the appropriate ratio. There are innumerable factors to consider that will never be perfectly "tuned" in a single 50/50 valve design to suit all applications.

50/50 valves are essentially trying to "trick" the ECU into believing that enough air is still being recirculated to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio under any given load condition, when, in fact, there is no way to effectively know what ratio should be used, if any at all.

The safe bet is to just use a recirulating valve where recommended and enjoy the security that you know that your ECU is not struggling to maintain a proper air/fuel ratio.

If the added sound is REALLY the most important thing to you, however, you must be willing to accept a level of risk that some problems MAY occur.

While it may be nice to have that blow-off valve (whooshing) sound, I personally feel that it's significantly more important to have a valve that will perform and operate properly for the given application regadless of the amount of noise it makes. I do not feel that valves should be designed to make a particular sound, nor to trick their engine management system, whether factory or aftermarket, into thinking the car is operating properly. Valves are meant to perform a specific function that should be done in a manner best suiting the specific application.

Very good and informative read. Thanks! Now just to clarify, the HKS with the recirc fitting is a recirculating system and not a 50/50, correct? So that system shouldn't cause any problems?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member

bump^
Old 02-24-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

this is an old topic and people have proved that you do not want a bov w/ the s/c setup. I am not posting this to argue but I have been on this form for a few years and from what i have read in the past .... its not a good idea.

Quick Reply: bov on a s/c?