Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Brake BOOST tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brake BOOST tips

Just starting to learn how to brake boost. Anybody got any tips how to do it? Still trying to modulate so I dont take off or get ahead of the other driver? But it feels awesome from a roll
Old 07-22-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Brake Boosting....Only way to race from a roll...LOL. Otherwise your just waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Being you have TN, I can imagine your spool time would be longer than mine, but I find a 40mph kick while holding JUST right out of vac (0 - 1 PSI) in 3rd Gear, is the sweet spot. But the spooling properties of your turbo is slightly different, so the only real advise to give you, is to just practice. Find where you feel is the best lauch for you, and get the balance of the gas and brake down good to hold you at the mph and the boost level you want when you punch it.

You can try the 40mph hold and 0-1 PSI hold in 3rd gear if you want. I think it's a pretty good launch.

You DO have a boost Gauge right?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most important tip would be to have 4 or 5 extra cluches on hand and a few extra 2azfes.

Brake boost is a retardsway of accelerating because he dont know what gear he should be in. I can reach 10 psi within 1 second at any given point in time. Dont be a dumb ___ and brake boost.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller
Most important tip would be to have 4 or 5 extra cluches on hand and a few extra 2azfes.

Brake boost is a retardsway of accelerating because he dont know what gear he should be in. I can reach 10 psi within 1 second at any given point in time. Dont be a dumb butt and brake boost.
Yea the BB Turbo TN provides is a very quick spooling turbo.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0

Brake boost is a retardsway of accelerating because he dont know what gear he should be in. I can reach 10 psi within 1 second at any given point in time. Dont be a dumb butt and brake boost.
Prolly not as fast as a 16g. Break boost = bad advice.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0

Prolly not as fast as a 16g. Break boost = bad advice.

And your basing this off of what evidence? Cause my advice comes from EXPERIENCE... Brake boost everytime I'm doing races from a roll dude, and have been since I've been boosted. Got ONE engine, and it runs strong. If I you went up against a similarly powered TN tC, and he brake boosted and you didn't, you would be at least a Car length behind from the jump and you would never catch back up.....However, you had the same kit...
Old 07-22-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Giving FALSE information = Bad Advise
Old 07-22-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Brake boost is gives you a killer advantage from a roll. Only thing that wears out quick is the clutch.... which is rather quick
Old 07-22-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
Brake boost is gives you a killer advantage from a roll. Only thing that wears out quick is the clutch.... which is rather quick

Correction, what wears out quick is the Brakes, not the clutch. You DO know how to brake boost right?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
These cars can only take so much abuse. My advice is to have some mercy. Thats not bad advice.

I just remember the moment you learned about break boost in a thread. Now 1-2 months later your replacing your stage 1 clutch. OK for you but not good for most others. There are other power mods besides unneccessarily replacing worn parts that will put u ahead of the competition.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Yea... you just taught me! lol Not very good at it but the car does spool fast in my opinon. I heard that it wears out your clutch too. I did know it wears out the brakes quick so I didn't even think it would be worth while mentioning.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any time you power brake a car you are putting more strain on the clutch. Not as bad as slipping the clutch, but just puts that much more strain on it. It wont destroy it right away, but will put more wear on it.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
These cars can only take so much abuse. My advice is to have some mercy. Thats not bad advice.

I just remember the moment you learned about break boost in a thread. Now 1-2 months later your replacing your stage 1 clutch. OK for you but not good for most others. There are other power mods besides unneccessarily replacing worn parts that will put u ahead of the competition.

fyi...Clutch went out from abuse at the Dragstrip. Not on the highway doing 40 kick rolls..

To much power + Slipping the clutch off the line + drying to warm up DR's in the water box = bye bye clutch (one not strong enough anyways... )
Old 07-23-2006, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All that zpi drying zpi off zpi in zpi the zpi water zpi box zpi and zpi not one zpi post zpi off zpi your time zpi zlips zpi. Just zpi messing zpi with zpi you zpi
Old 07-23-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

All that zpi drying zpi off zpi in zpi the zpi water zpi box zpi and zpi not one zpi post zpi off zpi your time zpi zlips zpi. Just zpi messing zpi with zpi you zpi

I must be a moron for actually trying to read that...
Old 07-23-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have your ride back? I will eventualy install the stage 3 as well. I bet you will not have the patiience to break it in
Old 07-23-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Any time you power brake a car you are putting more strain on the clutch. Not as bad as slipping the clutch, but just puts that much more strain on it. It wont destroy it right away, but will put more wear on it.
You must treat your clutch the same way u would treat a lady on the first date.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see how a clutch that is not slipping will wear any faster then normal?? Sorry not trying to be a n00b just it does not make any sense.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Do you have your ride back? I will eventualy install the stage 3 as well. I bet you will not have the patiience to break it in

This weekend. And it will be in the hands of my better half. She will baby it, so it will break in just fine..
Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
I don't see how a clutch that is not slipping will wear any faster then normal?? Sorry not trying to be a n00b just it does not make any sense.

Yeah, I'm with you. Can someone explain the mechanics behind how a clutch will wear any faster from Brake Boosting, when during brake boosting, you are using only the Brake Pedal, and the Gas Pedal?

Quick Reply: Brake BOOST tips