Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Brake BOOST tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
I don't see how a clutch that is not slipping will wear any faster then normal?? Sorry not trying to be a n00b just it does not make any sense.

Yeah, I'm with you. Can someone explain the mechanics behind how a clutch will wear any faster from Brake Boosting, when during brake boosting, you are using only the Brake Pedal, and the Gas Pedal?
They dont make the exedy 3 plate stage 5 clutch for 2500.00 for nothing. Install that and brake boost all day.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see how a clutch that is not slipping will wear any faster then normal?? Sorry not trying to be a n00b just it does not make any sense.

Yeah, I'm with you. Can someone explain the mechanics behind how a clutch will wear any faster from Brake Boosting, when during brake boosting, you are using only the Brake Pedal, and the Gas Pedal?
Brake boost = more wear and tear bumper to bumper. I was told never drive around with one foot on the gas and one on the break. there are better ways of beating your competition.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller

They dont make the exedy 3 plate stage 5 clutch for 2500.00 for nothing. Install that and brake boost all day.

I'm not ready to say Bye Bye to being Daily Driven yet though...

Originally Posted by Schuller
Brake boost = more wear and tear bumper to bumper. I was told never drive around with one foot on the gas and one on the break. there are better ways of beating your competition.

That might be accurate if people actually "drove around with one foot on the brake, and one on the gas"... . But you only Brake Boost during your race, which is what like 2 runs at most during a week/2 week span.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you need to brake boost to get the "jump" on the person maybe you shouldn't be trying to race them lol. I'm not trying to be rude, but if your car (anyone here) is as fast as you say it is, just floor it.

Ever hear the quote...
"You call it turbo lag, I call it foreplay"
or
"You call it turbo lag, I call it a head start"

Just have fun with your car and go easy on your brakes. Sure there is STRESS on the clutch, but the wear would be very minimal. I've brake boosted before, but I was just trying it out and never used it to race a car. Why you ask? Street racing is pretty stupid. The car's are fast to a point now within a few seconds of a roll start you're already doing over 100mph. Take it to a drag strip and shut the other person up on paper, or go road racing or auto cross and use the brakes for what they're for.

Again, I'm not picking on anyone here at all. My tip for brake boosting is to avoid it all together. Pick the right gear and time it right and it should get up and go. If you need to brake boost to minimize lag, pick a turbo that's spec'd out better for what you're doing.

Hey rythm... You say you blew your clutch out from the 40+ passes on the dragway... Why haven't you posted a single time slip as to what your car ran? Aren't you making all kinds of power now? What's it run?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
If you need to brake boost to get the "jump" on the person maybe you shouldn't be trying to race them lol. I'm not trying to be rude, but if your car (anyone here) is as fast as you say it is, just floor it.

Ever hear the quote...
"You call it turbo lag, I call it foreplay"
or
"You call it turbo lag, I call it a head start"

Just have fun with your car and go easy on your brakes. Sure there is STRESS on the clutch, but the wear would be very minimal. I've brake boosted before, but I was just trying it out and never used it to race a car. Why you ask? Street racing is pretty stupid. The car's are fast to a point now within a few seconds of a roll start you're already doing over 100mph. Take it to a drag strip and shut the other person up on paper, or go road racing or auto cross and use the brakes for what they're for.

Again, I'm not picking on anyone here at all. My tip for brake boosting is to avoid it all together. Pick the right gear and time it right and it should get up and go. If you need to brake boost to minimize lag, pick a turbo that's spec'd out better for what you're doing.

Hey rythm... You say you blew your clutch out from the 40+ passes on the dragway... Why haven't you posted a single time slip as to what your car ran? Aren't you making all kinds of power now? What's it run?

Where have you been, I did post the times when from a slipping clutch... I didn't make a thread about it, cause it wasn't worth making one if the clutch was slipping. Also, it was on an 1/8th mile course. I will make a thread when I actually have a clutch that will hold, and it be on a 1/4 mile track and noth 1/8th.

About brake boosting. It's just MORE FUN, when you smash the gas and it takes off, instead of waiting to come out of vaccum. The 16G that I run spools faster than any of the T3/T4 setups on some of the other guys kits. The 16G is spec'ed nicely for the tC imo. Spooling faster than the rest, but still much more fun to brake boost it.

The track talk is all fun and dandy, I love track more than street. But when your cruising along on I24 here in TN, you can expect to be tried on the street. I don't back down... And there is nothing wrong with brake boosting to beat the other car imo. It's no different than being at the drag strip, and having a 2 Step computer to hold your boost down off the line, and after a certain gear, Full boost kicks in (all in making things efficient and improving your time and reducing wheel spin in the lower gears due to not running full boost at first). It's all about getting the MAX performance from your car, making it faster, and using all the available techniques to make your times improve. Brake Boosting is just the same, except it's done during Highway rolls.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It is pretty simple how you can put more wear and tear without slipping. There is a lot more to a clutch than just the friction plate you know.

Again, it is not going to be monumental wear.. but it is wear nonetheless. I am not trying to tell anyone to do it or not.. racing a car is going to wear things out anyway.. that is expected. But what Joe said is right on.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess ill just mash the pedal
Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey did you ever get your car tuned?
And do you know of any good tuning shops in the kc area?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
It is pretty simple how you can put more wear and tear without slipping. There is a lot more to a clutch than just the friction plate you know.

Again, it is not going to be monumental wear.. but it is wear nonetheless. I am not trying to tell anyone to do it or not.. racing a car is going to wear things out anyway.. that is expected. But what Joe said is right on.
Thank you.

Oh and rythm... If you made 40 passes and posted up one 1/8th mile run in someone else's post, and didn't say anything beyond that, you need to lay off the rest of us lol. That's some CRAZY hypocritical shizzle right there.

But yeah, mash the pedal, and once the turbo spools up fly by your opponent. If you need to brake boost to pass him for the first second of the race, maybe you're car is not as fast as the other, and you should take that as motivation to get some more juice on that puppy.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112
i guess ill just mash the pedal

If you can handle taking a loss, then by all means do so
Old 07-25-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Originally Posted by engifineer

Thank you.

Oh and rythm... If you made 40 passes and posted up one 1/8th mile run in someone else's post, and didn't say anything beyond that, you need to lay off the rest of us lol. That's some CRAZY hypocritical shizzle right there.

But yeah, mash the pedal, and once the turbo spools up fly by your opponent. If you need to brake boost to pass him for the first second of the race, maybe you're car is not as fast as the other, and you should take that as motivation to get some more juice on that puppy.

A win is a win, dosen't matter if you Brake Boost or not. If the other guy Brake Boost and you don't, and he has the same turbo kit at the same Power Level as you, you will be scratching your head trying to figure out how you keep loosing...

And I'm not hypocritical, if I don't have my car at the moment... OH TRUST ME, when I get to the track (1/4th mile that is), I will be sure to have those vids! I think I've posted more vids than anyone on SL, so there is no way that I'm lacking on the vids. Not to mention, you made claims of times, but not ONE of them is recorded. Dave said he got it on his camera phone, maybe you should hit him up to see if he can get it uploaded for you. Otherwise all anyone can do is take your word for it.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to mention, you made claims of times, but not ONE of them is recorded. Dave said he got it on his camera phone, maybe you should hit him up to see if he can get it uploaded for you. Otherwise all anyone can do is take your word for it.
It's cool and all if you want to poke fun and all, but Travis be realistic here man. Joe has always posted his vids from track events on SL.

www.putfile.com/madwheel - just incase you forgot the site again....
Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he's talking about my 13.3 sec pass where it wasn't on tape. Even though over a thousand people saw it, and multiple credable members on this site saw it, I'm still the deceiving one
Old 07-25-2006, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OH yeah THAT pass....

its ok...thats why we have the tracks here in AZ bro. We'll line 'em up sooner or later..

I've always wanted a piece of the Dezod tC
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
Not to mention, you made claims of times, but not ONE of them is recorded. Dave said he got it on his camera phone, maybe you should hit him up to see if he can get it uploaded for you. Otherwise all anyone can do is take your word for it.
It's cool and all if you want to poke fun and all, but Travis be realistic here man. Joe has always posted his vids from track events on SL.

www.putfile.com/madwheel - just incase you forgot the site again....

Of the 13.7's and 13.8's, but I was talking about the constant 13.3/13.4 runs. Where are those runs is what I was refering to.

But it's all gravy though. I'll be sure to record my passes, good or bad.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Yo Joe, even if you didn't have vids. You could at least have posted up the time slips. And what Clutch are you running? Upgraded flywheel too or no?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I smoked a WRX who was brake boosting last weekend - and before you ask for video rhythmnsmoke, I had a guy taping it and my camera timed out before the race and he didn't know how to put it back on video mode.

Point is, though - brake boosting didn't help him at all.

(It was from a DIG no less.)
Old 07-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Yo Joe, even if you didn't have vids. You could at least have posted up the time slips. And what Clutch are you running? Upgraded flywheel too or no?
ACT Street Clutch and OEM flywheel.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Streeter
I smoked a WRX who was brake boosting last weekend - and before you ask for video rhythmnsmoke, I had a guy taping it and my camera timed out before the race and he didn't know how to put it back on video mode.

Point is, though - brake boosting didn't help him at all.

(It was from a DIG no less.)

You can't brake boost from a Dig though Streeter. Unless you have a computer of somesort that will allow you build boost off the line, to which us tC boys don't have.

You should try it some times. Curise at 40mph and then just floor it. Then after that, run, use the brake to hold you at 40mph and have the gas pedal depressed to take you out of vac and hold it at about 0-1 PSI of pressure, then mash the gas. If you don't think there is a difference, then I'll meet you halfway and race you. You with no Brake Boosting, and Me With Brake Boosting.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
ACT Street Clutch and OEM flywheel.

Stage 3, Stage 4?

Quick Reply: Brake BOOST tips