Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

May as well throw that pulley on there scion-ce, lol. I think that's pretty ridiculous personally. So basically TRD is saying we're just going to screw you over if you open the hood too many times to look at the s/c, lol.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
So pretty much what it boils down to is you can't change anything and retain your warranty. I was told that if you modify anything from the S/C kit your warranty is toast.
Ok, here is a question Josh. I know in the TRD paperwork, it specifically states that if you mess with the tamperproof cap, your warranty is toast. So anyone that did that is SOL. But in regards to the other things you listed. Because they aren't specifically stated in the warranty, wouldn't the Magnusson-Moss act still apply? If its not specifically stated in the warranty info, doesn't the dealer still have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the aftermarket part directly cause the malfunction?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Scion-ce
Ok, here is a question Josh. I know in the TRD paperwork, it specifically states that if you mess with the tamperproof cap, your warranty is toast. So anyone that did that is SOL. But in regards to the other things you listed. Because they aren't specifically stated in the warranty, wouldn't the Magnusson-Moss act still apply? If its not specifically stated in the warranty info, doesn't the dealer still have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the aftermarket part directly cause the malfunction?
Yes The Magnuson/Moss act is still valid but the problem you or anyone else would run into is the fact the they can prove the header warpped the seals. On top of that it doesn't look good when you remove the cat especially when it's against federal law to do so. As far as any of the other stuff listed they can cause MAJOR damage to the car if not properly installed or tuned.

Now here's where I think you guys are getting a little too worried. As far as i can tell the guys with leaks and a header also have the pulley. But not all of you guys have issue. The Magnuson/Moss Act states that they have to prove the part in question caused whatever damages to the car. Now if the S/C starts leaking on the shaft and there is a header installed. They won't have too much trouble proving the excess heat caused the damage. Now if something totally not related to the S/C, or the part in question, fails then you should be covered.

I want it to be clear that I'm not saying that agree or disagree with all of this I'm just stating what was told to me. I can't tell any of you guy what to do and not to do but I don't think the gains are worth the losses.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question... How in the world would an intake cause any damage to the S/C unit? Too much air going into the S/C?
This is my point with TRD being weak.
Well guys, looks like they got us and will laugh all of the way to the bank, they already got another 3,600 from me.

Now what about a header back exhaust? When you say cat back, do you mean the first or the second cat?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Actually the air box is designed to cut down turbulance inside the intake so that the MAF can read properly. That's exactly how it was explained to me.

With the exhaust as long and the stock manifold is still there you're fine. The second "cat" is more of a resonator that a cat.

I also called Vortech again today and I talked to 2 different people and they both started that no one there know anything about the TRD S/C and they have never once stated that it would handle any boost over what was stated by TRD. They also told me that if the pulley were changed that it could cause damage to seals and if the header were too close it could cause the seals to warp.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about probing the stock header for an EGT gauge? Will that void the warranty?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Josh, thanks for trying, but this is all a load of bull TRD is feeding you. Vortech superchargers have been used for so many years without seal problems. This is obviously a design flaw by TRD, especially since Vortech is blaming TRD and TRD is blaming Vortech. Vortech Superchargers have been run at very high boost levels in other applications without problem. An extra 2 PSI should do nothing...
Old 04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you probe the manifold and the cat happens to go bad the you're going to have the pay for the manifold. They'll say you modified it. But the warranty should stay in place.

No TRD isn't blaming Vortech and Vortech hasn't said anything at all really. Yes this style of S/C has been used in other applications with no problems and no other modifications. When I asked the guys at Vortech about the pulley being changed they told me that it would depend on the trim of the compressor and what that particular unit for that car was rated at. I said that TRD has it rated at 5-7 psi. He says "Then that's what it can handle and I would push it anymore that what is recommened". Just remember that there are other ways the raise boost in a S/C without changing the pulley. Just because this same style S/C has made more boost in other cars doesn't mean they both had the same specs.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
Well Josh, thanks for trying, but this is all a load of bull TRD is feeding you. Vortech superchargers have been used for so many years without seal problems. This is obviously a design flaw by TRD, especially since Vortech is blaming TRD and TRD is blaming Vortech. Vortech Superchargers have been run at very high boost levels in other applications without problem. An extra 2 PSI should do nothing...
Josh isn't saying the supercharger can't handle the extra boost. We all know the F-trim that Vortech used for the TRD s/c can handle up to 19psi. What he is saying that the 2AZ-FE wasn't built to handle the extra boost over the long term. Sure our engine can handle 12psi, but for how long is the question. TRD is basically saying the 2AZ can handle 7psi on a daily basis without sacrificing long term reliability
Old 04-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Josh isn't saying the supercharger can't handle the extra boost. We all know the F-trim that Vortech used for the TRD s/c can handle up to 19psi. What he is saying that the 2AZ-FE wasn't built to handle the extra boost over the long term. Sure our engine can handle 12psi, but for how long is the question. TRD is basically saying the 2AZ can handle 7psi on a daily basis without sacrificing long term reliability
\

It might be able to handle more boost and IMO probably can but I didn't design the S/C or the engine so I can't say for sure either way.

I don't know why you guys don't change the compressor wheel. It would be WAY more efficient and probably give you better results. I'm not saying you should but if you are going to try to get more boost and/or power that would be a better way to go.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
\

It might be able to handle more boost and IMO probably can but I didn't design the S/C or the engine so I can't say for sure either way.

I don't know why you guys don't change the compressor wheel. It would be WAY more efficient and probably give you better results. I'm not saying you should but if you are going to try to get more boost and/or power that would be a better way to go.
Ive been looking into this for a while now...I cant get my hands on a G trim impeller. The G trim uses the same housing as our F trim but will bring on boost sooner and stronger with less stress on the seals and shaft...find me one and I will be glad to do it...only problem is I have been searching with no success, help a brotha out Josh
Old 04-24-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Yes, please help this man out, lol

Hey simply, if you can get ahold of the g-trim wheel and it works are you going to keep the stock pulley or go with the 9lb pulley plus the wheel?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by kytc
^Yes, please help this man out, lol

Hey simply, if you can get ahold of the g-trim wheel and it works are you going to keep the stock pulley or go with the 9lb pulley plus the wheel?
stock pulley for the time being
Someone had a G Trim unit listed on ebay not to long ago but I dont need the whole unit.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

what about upgrading to the better bosch 110 BPV?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
what about upgrading to the better bosch 110 BPV?
I dont think people really use the 110 as much anymore being as there are so many other options out. I started out with the Bosch but then bought a Forge 007 because I figured I would be different and try that out.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is changing the bpv something that can sneak by without affecting warranty? From what i've seen it's an easy enough install, and may be the ticket for adding some more responsiveness ( not hp ) for low dough.
I see most of the sc'd cars out there have them, and i know there is an improvement in feel; just would be nice if we could do SOMETHING to these without killing the service.
Same goes for an intake--even something more show then go--in olden days we luved to dress up the engine bay; now we have this cool sc and a bunch of black plastic crap right next to it...
If TRD was reading these, which i'm sure they are: this market is wide open for them to be creating/offering mods & add-ons to keep the biz in their corner, yet let the owners be able to compete with the Joneses ( err, I mean Hondas )...
Old 04-25-2006, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Basstrack17 I wouldnt think it would void the warranty. The dealership wouldnt know the difference. They look exactly the same except for the the little part on there that says "110" instead of "102."

If you are looking at getting one, you can buy mine. I switched to the forge 007, so Im selling my BPV 110, which I had only on for a month for $30 shipped. Or $25 plus $5 for shipping! ha!
Old 04-25-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by mtxgalant96
Basstrack17 I wouldnt think it would void the warranty. The dealership wouldnt know the difference. They look exactly the same except for the the little part on there that says "110" instead of "102."

If you are looking at getting one, you can buy mine. I switched to the forge 007, so Im selling my BPV 110, which I had only on for a month for $30 shipped. Or $25 plus $5 for shipping! ha!

how much of a difference is there in the car w/ the new valve?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing I have learned about this S/C and this company is not to assume... Because they will make an a$$ out of you and me.

I have never heard of a header voiding a warranty, but it does. I would bet that if something happened and they saw that you had a different BPV they would be quick to blame it on that. I would wait to get the A-OK from someone before you do it, or just swap back the old one before you do anything. Hell, Its that easy with an intake.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea highlander is right! They would do anything so they wouldnt have to pay. I wouldnt worry about it though. If something goes wrong, just change back. Its so simple to do. I have changed and played with mine like 10 times already. Its easier than putting in gas.

As far as power! Uh i'm not sure. U dont loose boost that much like u do with the bpv 102, thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!