Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ERIC-TC
Does this mean that if the S/C needs maintenance and is not under warranty(some mods are made) you have to buy the whole super charger kit again? Please tell me it's not true!
If you put any of the things I listed above on your car the S/C is not going to be covered. No questions asked. If it's not modded then you don't have a problem.

I'm sure that eventually Vortech will have some sort of refurbish or rebuild deal for this unit. They do it on all of thier other units and I can't see this one being any different. But we'll see what happens in the future.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jetlounge
^^
that is an excellent question. Just take out the mods part...say you have the S/C and NO other mods..it's now Year 2, and the seal or some other part fails. normal wear and tear..whatever. You bring it in and the service team should be able to order that single part (charge you for it) and replace.

But it sounds like from Highlander and Sparks, they were told that individual parts from the kit were not available...so would another $3000 investment be required?
That's the part that had me scratching my head for this whole thread. it makes no sense at all.

Or say it is still year 1 and in warranty and the same situation. Does the dealer have to order an entire kit and bill Toyota for it??
No Because it would still be under warranty so you won't have an issue. That would be between TRD and the dealer.

To be honest I don't think TRD expected these S/C's to have any kind of issues this early on in their life. So far I haven't seen any other issues with the S/C other than Highlander with the seals. Or atleast he's the only reported case thus far.

The way I see it is it not a problem until it's a problem. If your S/C is working fine and doesn't have any issues then I would worry about it. Just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i mentioned switching the wheel a while ago. i love this idea. it would be really hard for techs to realize the difference, right? now, correct me, but this would put more air into the engine, but still be 7 psi? just more c.f.m. (i dont remember the name). but, josh said this would void the warranty. whats the difficulty rating on changing a comressor wheel? i know if its not perfect, your done. what kind of power would one realize with the g-trim?
and josh, is this what you meant by "other ways to increase boost"?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
^^
that is an excellent question. Just take out the mods part...say you have the S/C and NO other mods..it's now Year 2, and the seal or some other part fails. normal wear and tear..whatever. You bring it in and the service team should be able to order that single part (charge you for it) and replace.

But it sounds like from Highlander and Sparks, they were told that individual parts from the kit were not available...so would another $3000 investment be required?
That's the part that had me scratching my head for this whole thread. it makes no sense at all.

Or say it is still year 1 and in warranty and the same situation. Does the dealer have to order an entire kit and bill Toyota for it??
No Because it would still be under warranty so you won't have an issue. That would be between TRD and the dealer.

To be honest I don't think TRD expected these S/C's to have any kind of issues this early on in their life. So far I haven't seen any other issues with the S/C other than Highlander with the seals. Or atleast he's the only reported case thus far.

The way I see it is it not a problem until it's a problem. If your S/C is working fine and doesn't have any issues then I would worry about it. Just my opinion.

I agree, it shouldn't be a problem, and with warranty intact you are correct...that's the dealer's issue..
but in my Year 2 (out of warranty) question, if I am in the market for a replacement part. due to wear and tear..would I be able to pay for that part & labor, or do I have to purchase the entire kit?
From the feedback you got and Highlander it appears that this is the case. If it wasn't then TRD would have simply charged him for the replacement parts needed and told him to pay for service labor, and provided you with individual part #'s to put on your site.

i recall someone else on this site having an unrelated issue with the s/c and their entire kit was replaced. even though free to the consumer, that arrangement just doesn't make economical sense if all that was needed was a new blower. in any type of production with multiple parts you simply have to make additional components available. not doing so is a serious oversight. what if they took this concept further? I'd have to get a replacement car every time i blew a tire.

i know about manufacturing and production, but not on the aftermarket auto parts side. Is this typical...Do the likes of Greddy and others allow you to purchase individual components if they require replacemnet or do they make you purchase an entire kit again? I would imagine if i purchased a full exhaust system from (insert aftermarket company here) and my S-Pipe got all scraped up, salt damage and rusted after 3 years of neglect I could just get that part without having to purchase the full exhaust package. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by kcautotc
i mentioned switching the wheel a while ago. i love this idea. it would be really hard for techs to realize the difference, right? now, correct me, but this would put more air into the engine, but still be 7 psi? just more c.f.m. (i dont remember the name). but, josh said this would void the warranty. whats the difficulty rating on changing a comressor wheel? i know if its not perfect, your done. what kind of power would one realize with the g-trim?
and josh, is this what you meant by "other ways to increase boost"?
Yeah that's what I was getting at when I said that. It would still void your warranty but it would make more power without really effecting the S/C. But like you said it have to be exact or the S/C is toast.

I'm not saying that this is a good idea or that you should do it. It's just another way you could make more power without changing the pulley.

With all the stuff that's going on I wouldn't be surprised if they start checking every detail of the S/C when it comes to warranty work.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I agree, it shouldn't be a problem, and with warranty intact you are correct...that's the dealer's issue..
but in my Year 2 (out of warranty) question, if I am in the market for a replacement part. due to wear and tear..would I be able to pay for that part & labor, or do I have to purchase the entire kit?
From the feedback you got and Highlander it appears that this is the case. If it wasn't then TRD would have simply charged him for the replacement parts needed and told him to pay for service labor, and provided you with individual part #'s to put on your site.

i recall someone else on this site having an unrelated issue with the s/c and their entire kit was replaced. even though free to the consumer, that arrangement just doesn't make economical sense if all that was needed was a new blower. in any type of production with multiple parts you simply have to make additional components available. not doing so is a serious oversight. what if they took this concept further? I'd have to get a replacement car every time i blew a tire.

i know about manufacturing and production, but not on the aftermarket auto parts side. Is this typical...Do the likes of Greddy and others allow you to purchase individual components if they require replacemnet or do they make you purchase an entire kit again? I would imagine if i purchased a full exhaust system from (insert aftermarket company here) and my S-Pipe got all scraped up, salt damage and rusted after 3 years of neglect I could just get that part without having to purchase the full exhaust package. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong?
Like I said before I can't see Vortech or TRD not offering some sort of refurbish program for the S/C unit. Right now if you have a warranty on your S/C then you're fine and have nothing to worry about. When 2 years get's here you probably still won't have any issues with your S/C but by then I'm sure something will be in place.

Just for reference the TRD S/C for the 3.4L Tacoma's can be sent to Magnusson for service and rebuilds. Which says to me that Vortech will be able to do the same sometime in the future. Right now they are telling me they can't do that. Why this is I have no idea. If I had to guess I'd say it's a "Red Tape" thing.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are there any other plans coming out of TRD for the tC that involved forced induction? Stage 2 perhaps?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mattvs
Are there any other plans coming out of TRD for the tC that involved forced induction? Stage 2 perhaps?

Not that we're aware of.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unacceptable!!11!1!1

Old 04-29-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there wouldnt be any way to tell unless they took the sc apart and measured the compressor wheel...
on the other hand, im still curious to know if this g trim would still produce 7 psi, but more c.f.m.(still cant remember the correct abr.). and also, anyone know what difference in power this could make?
Old 04-29-2006, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm working on getting some pricing for a replacement wheel, I'll post updates as I get them
Old 04-29-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Wow.... No stage upgrades!? Looks like GM has them the tC beat in the Performance department for the Colbalt SS. GM Performance has a line of pulleys, intakes and other upgrades for their SC.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
Wow.... No stage upgrades!? Looks like GM has them the tC beat in the Performance department for the Colbalt SS. GM Performance has a line of pulleys, intakes and other upgrades for their SC.
i really like that .... all someone needs to do is come out w/ an all wheel drive car w/ stage upgrades.

That idea w/ the stages w/ the colbalt is nice .... you keep the people comming back and spending a few grand a shot.... I would.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Extensive performance parts support from Toyota would be outstanding. I would utilize it all the way.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Iill have to call TRD on the BPV thing but most likely they'll say "If you change anything in the S/C kit then.......". You get the idea. It's all by the book 100% at TRD now that Toyota has put their hands into it. So while I seriously doubt that using a better BPV will do any sort of damage to anything in the car I can't say it's OK to do so.
No need to check Josh, It clearly states on the 8.5"x11" warranty card that came with my supercharger that any modifications to the bypass system void the warranty. So upgrading the BPV will void your warranty.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
Extensive performance parts support from Toyota would be outstanding. I would utilize it all the way.
The problem, from what we can tell so far, is that the S/C setup cannot handle much more. If we have seals going out with the addition of a header, and/or smaller pulley, then what would TRD offer to keep the thing in warranty?
Also, with SRT-4s, even mopar Stages void warranty. Well, thats what I was told by a dealer.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
The problem, from what we can tell so far, is that the S/C setup cannot handle much more. If we have seals going out with the addition of a header, and/or smaller pulley, then what would TRD offer to keep the thing in warranty?
Also, with SRT-4s, even mopar Stages void warranty. Well, thats what I was told by a dealer.
Certainly, but one can wish. Support from Toyota would have had to be part of their plan all along though. Instead their plan was to offer a single, non-improvable performance part. Kinda half-butt if you ask me. Especially if they had any intentions of REALLY catching the attention of the tC's "target market."
Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me know if you see any seals in the shaft... Looks to me like a seperate unit, hmm.. wonder how the extra heat could warp the seals in the shaft....

Old 04-30-2006, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would this inner black circle be one? Sorry I can't really tell from the pic
[/img]
Old 04-30-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is becoming a nightmare...

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!