Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc
Would this inner black circle be one? Sorry I can't really tell from the pic
[/img]
I will go back and look at it, but that is the pulley side of the shaft. There is no way oil can get out there, supposedly... The unit only supplies oil to the bell housing. The shaft seems to just be a free unit. Free of any oil. I am going to need to get my buddies impact to get the rest of the unit appart, then I will be able to get some more answers.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

reason number 10 as to why i don't recomment the supercharger to people. from the start i knew something would go wrong, i just didn't know what.

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys start hearing stories another 6-12months from now about problems with the seals of the piston rings, rods, or worse. Thats not a supercharger thing, thats a boosted thing. Too many people have poor set ups, not implying simply does. Hes a good guy, and from what i've talked to him knows what hes doing. But, not even with the set up, 90% of tC owners i see on the road are driving the car like its a ferrari, adding boost is something most of the owners don't need.

Good luck with everything whoever has this problem.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member

Just curious, everyone said it was the header that caused the poblem, or the pully? Could it have been an install blunder? It would have been interesting to see the torq reading on the seal bolts. Spaks has the install instuctions on their sight I think I'll go look at it now. AH!, it says 14-16 lbs. of torq. Did yours come off easy? Maybe you sould check your new one, but you had it installed at a dif dealer right? I am looking to get a S/C for my Tc, and may drive to Sparks to get it and installed there.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thing i noticed on our warranty cert: it does note about changing pulleys, or fuel/bypass systems would affect the coverage. I do not see anything in there about a header. Taking into account any emmisions issues with replacing stock manifold w/ header; where else is it written that exhaust changes would void the warranty? Am I mis-reading something here? Or is this some "oh, we forget to add this and that" addendum that TRD knows about, but us owners do not?
As for owners driving these like a Ferrari: same can be said for any sport coupe owner, whether it'a stang GT, Si, GTI, or whatever. If the manufacturer doesn't want you to play with a car; then don't build it and market it for sport driving.
We have friends with a new GT, and their dealer told them that the computer would know if it was running at a track, and could void their warranty. If that's a bunch of crap from their dealer, then he outta be slapped. But if Ford actually monitors this: why the hell build a 300hp car in the first place??
Sorry, the train of thought jumped the tracks for a minute.
Anyhow, if the warranty paperwork states a header would void coverage, then so be it. But if it doesn't, then they owe highlandermac a lot more then a simple "we're sorry"...
Old 04-30-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
reason number 10 as to why i don't recomment the supercharger to people. from the start i knew something would go wrong , i just didn't know what.

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys start hearing stories another 6-12months from now about problems with the seals of the piston rings, rods, or worse. Thats not a supercharger thing, thats a boosted thing. Too many people have poor set ups, not implying simply does. Hes a good guy, and from what i've talked to him knows what hes doing. But, not even with the set up, 90% of tC owners i see on the road are driving the car like its a ferrari, adding boost is something most of the owners don't need.

Good luck with everything whoever has this problem.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
thing i noticed on our warranty cert: it does note about changing pulleys, or fuel/bypass systems would affect the coverage. I do not see anything in there about a header. Taking into account any emmisions issues with replacing stock manifold w/ header; where else is it written that exhaust changes would void the warranty? Am I mis-reading something here? Or is this some "oh, we forget to add this and that" addendum that TRD knows about, but us owners do not?
As for owners driving these like a Ferrari: same can be said for any sport coupe owner, whether it'a stang GT, Si, GTI, or whatever. If the manufacturer doesn't want you to play with a car; then don't build it and market it for sport driving.
We have friends with a new GT, and their dealer told them that the computer would know if it was running at a track, and could void their warranty. If that's a bunch of crap from their dealer, then he outta be slapped. But if Ford actually monitors this: why the hell build a 300hp car in the first place??
Sorry, the train of thought jumped the tracks for a minute.
Anyhow, if the warranty paperwork states a header would void coverage, then so be it. But if it doesn't, then they owe highlandermac a lot more then a simple "we're sorry"...
**Start the broken record**

If removing the cat is against federal law then TRD doesn't have to state it in their warranty since it should never be removed in the first place.

Highlander it does look like the shaft is a separate unit if I'm looking at it correctly. I don't have a socket that will fit the black bolt inside so I can't see where the oil would be coming from or what seal may have gone bad. Keep us posted on what you find and I'll do the same.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REFUND!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't trying to step outta line; maybe my ignorance on this vehicle got the best of me. For many years people have been pulling off emission equipment ( whether air pumps, cats, etc ); and i've also seen header systems where you could run some form of a cat if needed. We all know pulling any of that equipment off is not recommended; my point was that the sc warranty itself did not note anything specific about exhaust changes.
As I questioned before, what would/will a dealer say if they go to install a sc on a car already equipped with a header? Is it their duty to let that customer know that the header should come off prior to install or is it up to the customer to know his rights/limitations? Or should the customer be told this at time the part is ordered?
Heck, i was going under the assumption that there may be other add-ons coming soon ( intake, etc ) to give us more options. Maybe someday they will but it's been 6+ months since our install and nothing yet... That wait does not deter my enjoyment of our car, i'm just saying....
I'm not asking for myself, or for highlandermac either; but there are plenty of TC owners out there still looking at the sc, as well as considering other mods.... no sense more people going thru this then necessary, if it can be avoided. And unless those owners read these threads, this will be quite the unwanted surprise for them.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sport coupe? nothings changed here.. The tC wasn't made for people to drive like retards on the road, it was made affordable just like any other Scion. Bigger motor, two doors, doesn't justify much when its heavy as hell. Its a nice car, but your comment doesn't justify anything. What you drive has nothing to do with the way you should drive. If so, you'd see more high end sport cars or sport cars in general in accidents and/or driving reckless through traffic.

I'm done here, good luck to those that have the problem now and will have the problem in the future.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
sport coupe? nothings changed here.. The tC wasn't made for people to drive like retards on the road, it was made affordable just like any other Scion. Bigger motor, two doors, doesn't justify much when its heavy as hell. Its a nice car, but your comment doesn't justify anything. What you drive has nothing to do with the way you should drive. If so, you'd see more high end sport cars or sport cars in general in accidents and/or driving reckless through traffic.

I'm done here, good luck to those that have the problem now and will have the problem in the future.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

beleive me i don't want to turn this into a battle with you know who about the merits of the tc; we don't need this one locked as this thread has been very informative to not only us with the sc, but to those looking at one as well.
I just thought if there is any info that we as a group can get out to the prospective sc buyers--that would be a good thing. ( that info does not include buy an Si.... )
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
I wasn't trying to step outta line; maybe my ignorance on this vehicle got the best of me. For many years people have been pulling off emission equipment ( whether air pumps, cats, etc ); and i've also seen header systems where you could run some form of a cat if needed. We all know pulling any of that equipment off is not recommended; my point was that the sc warranty itself did not note anything specific about exhaust changes.
As I questioned before, what would/will a dealer say if they go to install a sc on a car already equipped with a header? Is it their duty to let that customer know that the header should come off prior to install or is it up to the customer to know his rights/limitations? Or should the customer be told this at time the part is ordered?
Heck, i was going under the assumption that there may be other add-ons coming soon ( intake, etc ) to give us more options. Maybe someday they will but it's been 6+ months since our install and nothing yet... That wait does not deter my enjoyment of our car, i'm just saying....
I'm not asking for myself, or for highlandermac either; but there are plenty of TC owners out there still looking at the sc, as well as considering other mods.... no sense more people going thru this then necessary, if it can be avoided. And unless those owners read these threads, this will be quite the unwanted surprise for them.

You're right it isn't specific but it doesn't have to be in that particular case because it shouldn't & cannot be done legally. Enough about what's right and wrong or illegal because at this point it's not really relevant to what is going on. We have already established what can and cannot be done.

Originally Posted by kcautotc
REDUND!
On what?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All this is doing is showing, again, what kind of company TRD is. They told me that the excessive heat warped the seals in the shaft of the S/C unit. Hmmm.. From what I can tell so far, that is a complete lie.
This will prove that they are going to look for whatever they can to void the warranty. Again, showing that they are not looking to help out the customers, they are looking to make a buck.
One of their S/C owners, who happens to have been one of the guys that has been saying how great it is and why other people should go and get it, has a problem. He goes to TRD and gets a bunch of B/S from them, and they can't even explain what happened, let alone, have any idea how their product is made.

Oh and Josh, you may want to let TRD know that they should come up with a different lie about how the header causes the problem...
Old 05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The sad thing about this thread is that you are all bickering about nothing. Again, the issue is not a refund or warranty, the issue is finding out what went wrong and how to fix it if it happens to you.

From the pictures above, there does not seem to be an issue with the seals, maybe that's why TRD doesn't know anything.
Maybe there is an oil pressure issue? Does anybody know what the oil pressure is on the TC?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The question is, Why is it up to its customers to find out what is wrong? I am going to send them an R&D bill...
TRD is such a supposed, Large company, and they can't figure out what is wrong, they have to lie to its customers because they are not willing to do any research, and they just want to basically screw one of their customers. Well, I will be sure to let everyone I know, and everyone that I can, about what they have done.

Oh and BTW, if the S/C was faulty because of something that was done wrong at TRD, or Vortech, I would expect a COMPLETE refund... If there were supposed to be seals in there, and they went ahead and blamed it on the header, I would expect a complete refund.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

As far as I know this problem has only ocurred on 2AZs which are modified by the addition of either a pulley, header, or both. Does anyone have this problem who:

1) Does not have a header
2) Does not have a pulley
3) Does not have either a header or a pulley

I have neither and do not have the problem. Of course it has only been run about 70 miles, so time will tell.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

has anyone said it may be too much oil pressure? I know when boosting civics u can get oil leaks EVERYWHERE if you dont put an oil restrictor to limit the amount of pressure in the system under boost....perhaps this is the issue at hand causing whatever seals are or arent there to be no longer sufficient?

just a thought...i dont own a tC, but my best friend does, and his has the SC....so i have been poppin in and outta this thread....
surely TRD would have thought of this tho?

thanks

C
Old 05-01-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

not sure what the pressure hits under boost. All I have right now is the Boost Gauge. I didn't get around to the oil pressure gauge...I do think someone mentioned it but there was no mention again after he brought it up.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by PghtC
As far as I know this problem has only ocurred on 2AZs which are modified by the addition of either a pulley, header, or both. Does anyone have this problem who:

1) Does not have a header
2) Does not have a pulley
3) Does not have either a header or a pulley

I have neither and do not have the problem. Of course it has only been run about 70 miles, so time will tell.
This is a question that I asked a while ago and it either go missed or dodged. I would love to know if there is anyone else with an issue without any mods. I would think we would have heard of one by now as long as this thread has been going.

No matter what anyone finds out everyone with a problem is going to try and blame TRD. TRD is going to say that if the S/C was modded then that is the cause of the problem. Just like everyone has their opinion of what happened TRD has the right to not cover the S/C if it were modded. So arguing about who's fault it was or who's right and who's wrong is pointless. I thought we were all past that and trying to find a solution to whatever the problem was.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah Josh you are totally right. The fact that, from what I can find so far, TRD has lied about the seals should be totally forgotten. It really doesnt matter that they didnt care to find out what the real problem was. And you are trying to push it aside as well.
If you HONESTLY think that TRD was being a stand up company in this situation I will stop. But I want you to think about what has happened. Knowing that they told me it was the SEALS in the SHAFT of the S/C that are giving out becasue of the excesive heat of the Header. So you tell me that TRD was 100% correct in what they told me and I will drop it.

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!