Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
Yeah Josh you are totally right. The fact that, from what I can find so far, TRD has lied about the seals should be totally forgotten. It really doesnt matter that they didnt care to find out what the real problem was. And you are trying to push it aside as well.
If you HONESTLY think that TRD was being a stand up company in this situation I will stop. But I want you to think about what has happened. Knowing that they told me it was the SEALS in the SHAFT of the S/C that are giving out becasue of the excesive heat of the Header. So you tell me that TRD was 100% correct in what they told me and I will drop it.
You know what.... it is what it is. No matter what I say or anyone says you're going to feel how you feel. From what I can see from you pics and the one that I have taken apart there is a seal that could be warped and it could be directly related to the header being so close to it. Being that where the S/C was leaking in relation to where the header gets close to it I have to say there is more supporting evidence that the heat cause a seal to wrap than a defect. When I see another case where someone has a leak in the same spot without any mods then I may rethink that statement. Until then I'm stepping out of this thread.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

WOW...someones pizzed...

Highlander, any htoughts as to what may be causing the problem? did u see my post on Oil pressure...seems that would be a logical progression of thought when the problem at hand is an OIL leak....

do not flame or give others ish please, i am not taking sides, just trying to make sure this doesnt get outta hand....

so Highlander, while i may agree (based on my hard time trying to get a replacement cap for hte pully the DEALER messed up) with SOME of your opinions and views, please watch your tone of typing...just cause u have anonymity on your side, shouldnt change how much respect you address other human beings with. Keep this in mind when posting in the future...
thanks
C
Old 05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i asked the oil pressure question a while back but I dont remember if I got a straight answer. Thats what I thought the problem was. As boost goes up the oil pressure should rise as well, basically eating away the seals. I had to put a restrictor going from my turbo oil feed line on the xB to the turbo because Garett turbos dont like to see anything more than about 30 psi going to the turbo.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

simply-

that would make ALOT of sense then...i think that in the end, its going to be something retarded simple like oil pressure too much, etc...

VALID argument tho bro...glad i wasnt the only one who thought it hehe...

C
Old 05-01-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

could the oil pressure be too high because of the smaller pulley pushing more boost? Does higher boost relate to higher oil pressure? or is the pressure RPM dependent and independent on how much boost has been produced. I am thinking it would be RPM dependent since the oil pump is run off the crank. The red-line is still 6250 no matter how much boost is produced. So...if this were the case, this would be a problem on ANY supercharged tC and would be TRDs fault.

Simplyscion, where do you get a restrictor for the oil feed line? I am brand spankin new to boost and just wanted to look into these and see how they work. Not to say I will be purchasing one for my s/c, but I want to do a little research.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you can find them anywhere...I got one from stealthmode performance that was adjustable, but I never used that one cause I wasnt crazy about how easy the valve was able to open and close and didnt wanna take the chance of it closing up on its own and cutting off the oil pressure completely. My dad brought home a bag full from his job and we just picked a brass one out that we were able to hook a gauge up to and monitor the pressure. The valve adjustment was a lot tighter on the one that he got me and actually took some strength to open and close it. I basically didnt want a rock coming up and cliping the handle causing it to shut or open completely(either way it woulda been bad).
Old 05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, come on seriously.

What I am saying, and have been saying.. TRD is not doing ANYTHING to try and figure out what has happened. They are not trying to help out their customers at all. They got me to buy a new S/C KIT because of a "warped seal". They will not sell any parts alone. You cant even buy just the unit. You have to pay for everything, from the S/C itself, down to the spark plugs.

So I have stated that TRD has lied about the seals in the shaft of the S/C... Is this untrue at all?
I have stated that I have had horrible customer service when dealing with TRD... Is this untrue?
But what do I get?
"You dont get a warranty cause you modded it"
"arguing whos fault it is is pointless"
well, I dont think it is pointless at all. I think it is the biggest point to make throughout this thread. I think we need to let people see what TRD does about this.
I think TRD should show us how it causes the problem. Show us what seal is going out. If they did sooo much Research and Developement on this kit, then they should know what is happening.

cmdxb-- I have no idea what you are talking about with me having anonymity and watching my tone of typing. Yes I understand that Josh is a silver bar member and is more to you than I, but I am sry, I have stated it many times that I am not out looking to get a warranty, and all I constantly get is how what happened was my fault and I have no warranty. Well, fine, I understand that and have stated it many times, but I am sry if I am going to put down a company that you work for, and that supplies for this car manufaturer, but I believe the people need to know and need to be warned so they do not have the same problems as I.

In no way am I hiding behind my anonymity nor am I "typing with a nasty tone". I am simply stating what I feel...
Sorry if I do not sugar coat it, but it doesnt need to be.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I am saying, and have been saying.. TRD is not doing ANYTHING to try and figure out what has happened. They are not trying to help out their customers at all.
Firstly, if it was a manufacturing defect, there would be more than just isolated incidents with people running an aftermarket pully and header.

Secondly, TRD helps out their customers when they should, and don't when they shouldn't. By knowingly trashing your warranty, you forfeit any obligation on TRD's part to give a damn. It was there, in writing, for you to see. 'By removing this cap, warranty is gone.'

Suck it up, count it as a loss, and move on.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mattvs
What I am saying, and have been saying.. TRD is not doing ANYTHING to try and figure out what has happened. They are not trying to help out their customers at all.
Firstly, if it was a manufacturing defect, there would be more than just isolated incidents with people running an aftermarket pully and header.

Secondly, TRD helps out their customers when they should, and don't when they shouldn't. By knowingly trashing your warranty, you forfeit any obligation on TRD's part to give a damn. It was there, in writing, for you to see. 'By removing this cap, warranty is gone.'

Suck it up, count it as a loss, and move on.
If that was the case in the real world, there would be no such thing as corporate customer care/service.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/quote]
If that was the case in the real world, there would be no such thing as corporate customer care/service.[/quote]

that's what ( imo ) this all boils down to. I've seen a dealer replace a clutch even knowing the young driver "enjoyed" driving his new car on weekends ( meaning not on the street ). I've seen in my day ( when i sold ) of other instances when a dealer or service dept would cross the normal line to help someone out. I'm not saying TRD should cover these when we fart around with them, or we should expect Toyota to cover it either. But by going above and beyond sometimes to help a customer out--that just insures not only solid csi numbers but may keep that customer in the fold for years to come.
I'm sure we're all hoping these are isolated incidents; and that this isn't something that will happen to those of us who are running a stock sc setup ( in other words that there may be a hidden problem, & it just came to light sooner with the "help" of the header heat... ).
As for my now seemingly idiotic posts about the header not listed on warranty cert... hey, we all make mistakes.... give an old guy a break--it's been a few years since i've been able to enjoy and putz with a performance ride... so i'm not all up to snuff with the new car layouts, and what you can or can't "sneak" around with...
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

mattvs: if the world of business existed like that, it would not exist.

and Trevor isn't saying that he was ____ed cause they would not warranty his Supercharger. he's ____ed cause they aren't giving him a straight answer and practicing poor judgment by not offering their supercharger components separetly.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And that justifies the 'omg dont buy trd' angst?

I don't see it. He's having a tantrum because TRD won't let him know what happened.

What happened is he upped the PSI and dramatically increased the amount of heat in the engine bay beyond the recommended numbers for the equipment in question. If there was warping then it's obvious that the material in question is not rated to withstand the environment.

I've seen a dealer replace a clutch even knowing the young driver "enjoyed" driving his new car on weekends
That's why Mitsubishi denies all warranty claims for the Evo if the car / driver in question is seen in a results list.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mattvs
And that justifies the 'omg dont buy trd' angst?

I don't see it. He's having a tantrum because TRD won't let him know what happened.

What happened is he upped the PSI and dramatically increased the amount of heat in the engine bay beyond the recommended numbers for the equipment in question. If there was warping then it's obvious that the material in question is not rated to withstand the environment.
Ok, using science/physics/mechanical experience testing/physical evidence, prove to me that because he "Upped" the psi he dramatically increased the heat in result causing the seals to warp. I would like to see test results to prove the statements above by all with a seal of approval by TRD stating thats what the cause was. I dont wanna hear "Its common sense", or some made up theory as to why. Im not a genious by any means, but I cant see how raising the boost a couple psi and removing the heatshield would bring such a dramatic heat increase to warp the seals. If they are that weak to begin with, then if this is the case they should fail under normal conditions way before the 60,000 mile mark, and TRD will be replacing a LOT more supercharger units(being that they dont wanna replace the seals) then they excpected to
Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

YES!
TRD should at least say , look heres what happened and why, oh look we have some numbers/charts/graphs/pictures to prove it too!
and here are the peices you need to fix it they cost this much.
they call it Customer service.

but all they have done is said, who look thats what happened, dont ask us how or why cause we said so.
If i gave a response similar to that to a customer where I work you can be certain that i would not go much longer with that attitude.

with all the R&D they have done, they should easily be able to give him the info he wants.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:07 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

All I have to say is I support why Highlander is mad. He isnt mad because TRD wont warranty his setup. He is mad because they wont work with him in figuring out what went wrong.

A doctor does an autopsy not to bring a patient back to life, a doctor does an autopsy so they can learn and explain what happened.

TRD should have done the Research on Highlanders setup to prove that it was caused by his modding and to rule out manufacturing error.
Simply opening a casket and looking at a dead bosy wont prove the cause of death.
Simply opening highlanders hood and looking at the SC wont prove the cause of failure.

That is all from me
Old 05-02-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC

A doctor does an autopsy not to bring a patient back to life, a doctor does an autopsy so they can learn and explain what happened.

THERE IT IS, there it is

Old 05-02-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not heard a better analogy.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 05-02-2006, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
As far as I know this problem has only ocurred on 2AZs which are modified by the addition of either a pulley, header, or both. Does anyone have this problem who:

1) Does not have a header
2) Does not have a pulley
3) Does not have either a header or a pulley

I have neither and do not have the problem. Of course it has only been run about 70 miles, so time will tell.
I've been watching this thread rather closely and I don't recall anyone with just a header having this problem... only those with a pully or a pully and header? Maybe I missed something? Someone correct me if i'm wrong please (but gently)
Old 05-02-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i can only recall this problem occuring with people who have had both, but I am not about to go rumaging through to check.

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!