Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I also thought I would add this, I have the leaking issue on the pulley side of the shaft, which is considerably higher away from the header collectors than the blower side of the shaft, which barely has any oil residue on it whatsoever. I think the header has nothing to do with this problem. It might get a lil bit hotter under there, but I would guess its nothing more than a 40-60 degree increase(just an educated guess). Things are just not adding up if you ask me and its looking like TRD is just using anything to say it will cause the problem just so they dont hafta get their hands dirty
Old 05-02-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i can tell you that when I get my supercharger i was never set on modding the unit any further. (only a cosmetic change with the intake but not about to go cutting up a CAI/SRI.)

if mine shows up with these problems then all of their excuses go out the window along with the winged pig.

btw simplyscion, do you have the header and pully combo or what?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea, Alphawerks/NST
Old 05-02-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if it was the headers, pulley, or what but I know that wrapping my headers made a huge difference at least in the amount of cooldown time in the engine bay. On another note I went to have my oil leak checked out today (mine was not on the s/c shaft) and they found mine to be leaking from a seal behind the timing belt tensioner. I know it's a different thing but I just thought I'd post what was wrong with mine since I mentioned about 7 or 8 pages ago about having an oil leak.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and btw simply, I'm still waiting for a price quote from the guy about the g-trim impeller, if you want I can pm you his email address so you can get in touch with him.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 05-02-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, forgive me if i missed this elsewhere: but has any of the other Toyota models running the sc's had similar problems with headers, etc?
I understand this unit on our cars is not exactly like others, but have any of you TC owners maybe had other blown cars that ran headers/pulleys and didn't have long term problems, which could narrow things down to this particular unit/engine set up? Or maybe you did have similar issues, which would show that the sc can not handle any more then what TRD sets it up for?
One of the unfortunate things is that the TC is only on it's 2nd year run, and the sc has been out for maybe 6-7 months? Hard to get a good feel now for what ( regardless of the warranty coverage ) these will hold up to after a few years of driving.
Again, it's not my point to knock the unit, as we have been pleased with ours; it just would be nice to know if there are any long term results that we all can use as "guidelines" for durability, driving habits, even potential mods......
Old 05-02-2006, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want to say thank you to the guys that understand where I am coming from.
You all are making me not be so upset about the car, and make me want to continue to mod the S/C and do what I wanted to do before this whole problem, A Air/Water setup like Vortech offers for their Mustangs and such...
But I am not going to do that for a while. Cause for some reason I think this problem may arise in other tCs... I hope not, but I feel the worst.
Dont forget the S/C I had was one of the first installed in the states, and was one of the first to get right up to 230whp...
I am sure that pushed the problem quicker, but for it to happen how it did, I feel that we will see it popping up more.

I truly hope that my S/C unit was just a fluke from the plant and that this won't happen to anyone else.
I need to take some pics of the intake that was on this current S/C.. It was busted.. lol.. that makes me feel even better.. I will take a pic of it. Thank goodness I had my old stock intake.. Oh and any other old S/C part.. lol...
Heck I even have the flash chip.. lol...
anyone need the S/C Injectors or anything.. lol... lol...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im still completely on your side too, and whoever said watch your tone... stfu. really, lets see pay 3500 twice.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been keeping track of my intake air temps, this is air going to the throttle body not just what the MAF is seeing anf there is a considerable amount of heat soaking in the engine compartment. My car is NA with injen CAI (Cold air what a joke!) I'm seeing 130F into the throttle body (up stream of crank-case-ventilation hose) and it's only 88F outside. Boosted cars run hotter add to that the removal of heat shields and it may help you understand whats going on.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm undecided on whether highlander's problem was just a fluke or if it was the headers. I had headers, s-pipe, and TRD axleback on when my s/c was installed and got the ZPI s/c pulley about two weeks after installation and the ZPI midpipe about a month ago and I have no s/c shaft leak. My headers are wrapped but have only been so for about a week and a half. I feel bad for highlander for what he had to go through because I'm in the same boat as him about the warranty. I personally feel that he was ripped but that's been discussed enough. The only thing that I can say about engine heat is that my header wrap helped dramatically. I can't take exact temp readings but from gauging temperatures before and after by feel I can tell it helped a lot. I would advise anyone with the s/c that wants headers to either wrap or jethot them.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by kcautotc
im still completely on your side too, and whoever said watch your tone... stfu. really, lets see pay 3500 twice.
hey, i said it, please do not tell me to STFU doode, its SIMPLY a respect issue....he can lobby his case, but that doesnt mean that he needs to disrespect another member of the msg board to do so....namely TRD Sparks....argue the case w TRD...dont direct it right at a seller, that makes no sense mang....

cmdxb-- I have no idea what you are talking about with me having anonymity and watching my tone of typing. Yes I understand that Josh is a silver bar member and is more to you than I, but I am sry, I have stated it many times that I am not out looking to get a warranty, and all I constantly get is how what happened was my fault and I have no warranty. Well, fine, I understand that and have stated it many times, but I am sry if I am going to put down a company that you work for, and that supplies for this car manufaturer, but I believe the people need to know and need to be warned so they do not have the same problems as I.

In no way am I hiding behind my anonymity nor am I "typing with a nasty tone". I am simply stating what I feel...
Sorry if I do not sugar coat it, but it doesnt need to be.
Your missing my point 100 percent homie...

What i meant was, be respectful when u type, dont type stuff when your mad or pizzed, becuase it comes off as u just having a tantrum/or it comes off sounding all wrong, or not like u wanted it too, or whatever....if you think that u would talk to someone face to face like that, then we would have a problem (me and u talking in person that is) because its disrespectful....while i AGREE with the fact that the SC's i have seen all have minor Oil residue on the shaft areas (both sides) and TRD definately needs to address this issue, this thread is not meant to argue over TRD ethics towards consumers, but a thread to address the issue of the oil leakage, and what can be done to fix it at the dealer level....if you want to discuss the Business Ethics of TRD, then simply start another thread that is specific to that....this thread has gotten so long that it is useless to use as a discussion on the original topic now...noone is gonna read 13 pages of arguing, and then have input to the issue....

in closing...

*respectfully type.....typing like your are having a tantrum looks bad, sounds worse, and makes u look immature

*dont argue ethics in a thread that is meant to discuss a mechanical problem with a car part....doesnt fit, and clouds the thread....

*this is NOTHING against u, and it has ZERO to do w Josh being a PLatnum Member...i met him at NOPI last year for like 2 seconds, and thats it...it has no bearing on how the forum works, or how you need to respect people in order to convey your opinion....

I hope noone is offended at all by this post, i have been monitoring this thread for ONE purpose...my best friend has a SC tC, and his SC HAS a minor oil leak on teh shaft....thats IT....i dont care that TRD has cust service issues, becuase u should work warraty issues via the dealer imo...thats what i did for my buddy (his SC came w NO WARRANTY CAP , so i made the dealer order one...it took 3 days to get it to the dealer parts dept) and it worked out fine....not saying this is a solution to your problem, just clarifying what needs to be done on THIS forum in order to HELP SOLVE the issues at hand....

Highlander, u have valid arguments, as i stated in this and my prev post, so why not start a thread that is specific to TRDs cust service and warranty issue? If you have not already done so, i suggest it, it is an avenue for you to vent your valid opinions on.....

lastly (this is a BOOK now haha) TRD imo, should warranty all problems w the SC...unless its modded w a pulley....i dont think that the heat warpage is an accurate asessment....i think we will find it something far more simple, too much oil pressure is what i got my $$ on....we shall see....bottom line tho is that if it took them like 2 years or whatever to come OUT w the SC, what makes you think youll get anything LESS for an answer to THIS problem right?

thanks, and lets keep this on topic ok folks?

Corey
Old 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, let's try something new to revive this thread.

All you kid's who have no idea what your talking about and are on TRDSparks' jock just stay out of it. He's a salesman and has a job to do so just leave it at that.

The purpose of this thread is to figure out the problem of why oil is leaking, not to discuss the warranty. Let's discuss the issue at hand which is.

1. Maybe the oil pressure is too high pushing oil past the seals.

2. Perhaps heat is causing some warping of the seals.

3. Are there actually seals on the shaft that could leak?

If you have technical information, please jump in and help save this thread. If you just want to run your mouth do it in O.T. I don't mean to cut anyone down, but this is getting rediculous.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
Ok, let's try something new to revive this thread.

All you kid's who have no idea what your talking about and are on TRDSparks' jock just stay out of it. He's a salesman and has a job to do so just leave it at that.

The purpose of this thread is to figure out the problem of why oil is leaking, not to discuss the warranty. Let's discuss the issue at hand which is.

1. Maybe the oil pressure is too high pushing oil past the seals.

2. Perhaps heat is causing some warping of the seals.

3. Are there actually seals on the shaft that could leak?

If you have technical information, please jump in and help save this thread. If you just want to run your mouth do it in O.T. I don't mean to cut anyone down, but this is getting rediculous.
FINALLY, someone who knows whats up!!

...i say that someone w the SC get an oil press gauge, and let us know what the reading is...thats the only way to know if oil press is the prob....

it hink that highlander dissected a SC, and it didnt LOOK like there were seals in there....correct Highlander?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is also the misconception that adding a header increases underhood heat. That is completely incorrect, removing the cat lowers temps drastically.

It does however increase heat close to the shaft because you are removing the heat shield there. I would say everyone should wrap their header as a precaution.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

tcengel-

correct, it allows the hot gasses to exit faster....jethot or wrap the header....period...if your serious about performance, get it done, it can only help

ALSO I HAVE STARTED A NEW THREAD for TRDs cust service and TRD warranty issues as it relates to the SC for the tC

it is HERE
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...asc&highlight=
Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright...
First off.. (No disrespect meant), this is a thread for anyone with a supercharger to read. It is for the S/C people to see what is going on with their kit. Whether it be about TRDs customer service or with their S/C. The reason I have posted about what has been going on is because it is Directly related to the S/C issue.
Now to what you said about getting warranty work done by Toyota... Infortunately for them to get your S/C warrantied they have to go through TRD. TRD will want them to send pictures of the car, and engine bay so they can see what has been done to the car.

OK.. now on to what I have been doing for long enough.. and that is, trying to help the people with the S/C who could possibly have the same problem as I did get their S/C fixed. Even if complaining on this thread helps, I will do it.
This thread is hear to help people that may have a problem and showing them what problems arose will do so.

ok.... cmdxb I need you to do me a HUGE favor...
Let me know what kind of mods your buddy has done to his tC... I would love to know what mods, how many miles, and anything else you can tell me... Hell it would be HUGE if you could get some pics of the thing too....
Thanks...

Trevor
Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Trevor.....

no mods, 15 thousand miles..., SLIGHT oil leak in 2 spots....one def ont he shaft area, and one on the oil pressure line (i think? coming off the front right of block, JUST below the valve cover, but this was a NAPA *yes NAPA* replacement part, cause TRD did not send the in line connector or whatever it is, to connect the hard line to the head to the SC)i can post up pics of both on wednesday....hes coming over then, and ill snap a few on the digi cam.... (dont hesitate to pm me a reminder on Wed either man....thats important...got a bad short term..lol)

as far as this thread, i personally see warranty as a seperate issue as the initial post was about a leaking issue and thats it... just moving forward post the warranty issue in the warranty thread....i would put a link to the warranty thread in your signature.... that should help garner a good amount of support for your cause doode...also link to this thread as reference too...just my .02 tho...

also, concerning working the warranty thru the dealer...i believe you are FAR more likely to get results in a dealer where you can be face to face with them, and then get them to call/handle w TRD....even if it has to border harassment....haha...

hope that helps

i will post up on wed again...

C
Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

NO MODS?? Oil leak on the shaft?!?!?!?!?!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm.. where is everyone now? Here we have a non modded S/C that is having a leak on the Shaft... Man I cannot wait for these pics.

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!