Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My best educated guess is that the dump tube is to small on our units. Basically over time there is some build up inside it and it causes oil to pool much more than originally inside the case. When this happens oil will run down the tube and eventually leak out anyplace it can... Just a thought. I would try a much larger dump tube to fix your issues. Also the heat from the header being so close to the uber small metal tube could cause it to coke up a little inside restricting flow...

I change oil every 2K miles and use only synthetic which does not coke near as much as standard oil.... May be the reason my car with all it's mods does not have this issue...

My 2 cents...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I can tell.. Oil is not supposed to even be in the Shaft of the S/C...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Which is exactly my point of oil pooling up inside the case... getting into places it should not...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
My best educated guess is that the dump tube is to small on our units. Basically over time there is some build up inside it and it causes oil to pool much more than originally inside the case. When this happens oil will run down the tube and eventually leak out anyplace it can... Just a thought. I would try a much larger dump tube to fix your issues. Also the heat from the header being so close to the uber small metal tube could cause it to coke up a little inside restricting flow...

I change oil every 2K miles and use only synthetic which does not coke near as much as standard oil.... May be the reason my car with all it's mods does not have this issue...

My 2 cents...
This would be an acceptable guess if it wasn't for the fact some are having these problems less than 2,000 miles into ownership of the supercharger. It would take a little longer than that for the "build up" in the tubes to actually cause the oil leaks. Also you'd note that one has stated here a tC with no mods having the same problems, and i don't know of one personally, but i've heard a few friends talk about their friends with similar problems as this. Also running too lean or too rich, but thats a human error more or less.

The supercharger can't hold much more psi than what TRD has given it, neither can the motor with people running no management and stock internals. At least, from what i've seen. Chances are most of the problems here are strictly on the supercharger, but its only time till more problems will arise publically with motor issues on boost. Theres already been quite a few cases kept in the dark, here and outside of here searching the net but its all turbochargers and its hard to say if its motor, human, or both errors.

Funny how i get all this crap from people, yet it happens anyway. Also, synthetic motor oil and tranny oil will reduce a decent percentage of oil-over heat issues, and "choking" through the lines. But that should be some common sense right there, and doesn't help with everything. Just that one issue among many.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances

My 2 cents...
This would be an acceptable guess if it wasn't for the fact some are having these problems less than 2,000 miles into ownership of the supercharger. It would take a little longer than that for the "build up" in the tubes to actually cause the oil leaks. Also you'd note that one has stated here a tC with no mods having the same problems, and i don't know of one personally, but i've heard a few friends talk about their friends with similar problems as this. Also running too lean or too rich, but thats a human error more or less.

The supercharger can't hold much more psi than what TRD has given it, neither can the motor with people running no management and stock internals. At least, from what i've seen. Chances are most of the problems here are strictly on the supercharger, but its only time till more problems will arise publically with motor issues on boost. Theres already been quite a few cases kept in the dark, here and outside of here searching the net but its all turbochargers and its hard to say if its motor, human, or both errors.

Funny how i get all this crap from people, yet it happens anyway. Also, synthetic motor oil and tranny oil will reduce a decent percentage of oil-over heat issues, and "choking" through the lines. But that should be some common sense right there, and doesn't help with everything. Just that one issue among many.

Actually the vortech f trim sc was designed to run up to 20 psi.. that is common knowledge, no idea were you got your info. Also the sc comes with engine management in the form of the complete ecm reflash. But I do agree the engine is definitly not built for boost, I am one of the few that has had the 2az completley apart and in my hands so I know. With the uber safe trd map I feel 10 psi is workable on stock guts but no more. Adding any timing to the engine should be avoided.

Also if the dump tube is to small off the bat or has a bad weld in the oil pan, someone did a bad teflon job on the nozzle or whatever they used to seal it... or who knows what, can still cause pooling. The ID of the dump tube is freakin small. I remember while installing it thinking man... this is supposed to drain? After all you are injecting oil under pressure and wanting it to drain out a tube about the same size as the nozzle by gravity. So yes even with a brand new unit it would be totally possible for to much oil going in and not enough coming out.

All trd sc units with the reflash will run hella rich in the top end, not lean ever if they are flashed. That was the protection trd built into the program.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2 cents...
See, this is the kind of garbage post that is ruining this thread. How do you know how much boost the s/c will hold? Have you tested it? Stop spewing the garbage your buddy with the sweet JDM Civic told you and keep the thread on topic.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Please see my last post on the previous page responding to him. He has no clue about the sc. Sc is simply a vortech f-trim which can "hold" 20 psi safe. Also the trd sc comes with it's own engine managment, a complete ecm reflash to run correctly. He is right on the engine though... the 2az is funky poo.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The engine is fine if tuned correctly. Especially at 5-10PSI.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Agreed "if tuned correctly" and the trd map is tuned well enough to run in this range.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please see my last post on the previous page responding to him. He has no clue about the sc. Sc is simply a vortech f-trim which can "hold" 20 psi safe. Also the trd sc comes with it's own engine managment, a complete ecm reflash to run correctly. He is right on the engine though... the 2az is funky poo.
The "engine management" you speak of, reflash, works similar as a management system but its not a full blown system. At least, i have yet to see someone tune a reflash. Pre set, non-tunable, no adjustable unless you have information i haven't seen yet. Would be happy to see it.

Also, yes the supercharger itself can handle 20psi. But the welds, lines, re-flash, i don't think so. I remember finding a link about 5 months prior to the offical release of the kit, talking about during testing they tested with different psi levels, and of course designs and so on so forth. They were saying with how its design, above i believe it was 8psi was questionable on the transmission and motor, as well as the design of the supercharger in terms of durability and reliability. If i can find the link i will link it here, i think it was on trd thread but i'll search around and see what i find. It wasn't from TRD directly, but something along the lines of a representative that was involved in the process. For all i know, this could be false. But i believe it counting everyone is having issues, less than 2,000 miles into their kit, with minimal modifications. Not to mention, the few bone stock 2az's with s/c and the exact same issues.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel

My 2 cents...
See, this is the kind of garbage post that is ruining this thread. How do you know how much boost the s/c will hold? Have you tested it? Stop spewing the garbage your buddy with the sweet JDM Civic told you and keep the thread on topic.
Technically, i am on topic. And no one is telling me anything about the kit, i'm only gathering information from what i've seen personally, what i know of the 2az with internals (even desertheat will admit the 2az's weak in terms of stock form ability) and so on so forth. The only reason you are saying this is because i don't own a tC. If i owned a tC, you probably wouldn't even had quoted me.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am at 7K miles with massive modifications. No issues. So not everyone is having problems. And yes, I still would have quoted you weather you have a tc or not.

Also what "welds and lines" are you talking about that are not capable of a level of boost greater than stock? I am simply claiming the sc is capable of 20 psi and she will hold together. I have run vortechs on many other vehicles, they are stout units. You calimed the sc will bairly hold above stock. Sorry but have you call you on total BS. For someone that does not own a tc, or the sc and have not even seen the internals in anything but photo's you sure have allot of input. I am currently at 9.5 psi and have run on the dyno several times, been to the drags on quite a few occasions and have checked everything over, looked at the a/f ratio with the stock TRD tune etc.. a 2.5-3 psi overall gain is perfectly safe in my eyes on stock internals with trd tune.

The TRD map is a massivly safe rich tune. With this kind of tune there is allot of room to play with and still be in the safe zone. Obviously you have not worked with stock fuel maps on turbo or sc cars or you would know this. I have worked on a regular basis with 4agze, 3sgte, 7mgte and 2jzgte powered cars and upgrading them on a mild level which usually is around 4-8 psi above stock and still run perfectly safe. This is why I am totally at ease running my tc at the level I am running at.

Anyways guys, the line deal is a good suggestion for you to check out. Also what temperatures do you guys live in when you first noticed the leaks..???
Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My 2 cents...
do u mean the oil return line? a dump tube is an exit for extra boost pressure on a wastegate on a turboed car....

interesting theory....im stiiiiiilll sticking w too much oil pressure...i have seen accomplished tuners fall vicitm to this....but we will see eventually....

C
Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cmdxb

My 2 cents...
do u mean the oil return line? a dump tube is an exit for extra boost pressure on a wastegate on a turboed car....

interesting theory....im stiiiiiilll sticking w too much oil pressure...i have seen accomplished tuners fall vicitm to this....but we will see eventually....

C
Coo, Always called it a dump tube or return line. All good! Anyways yes, to much oil pressure could cause this definitly / feeding to much oil for the return line to handle...... But the deal is there should be no "pressure" inside the case of the sc unit for it has an open outlet into the crank case. If you have noticable pressure in your crank case then you have other issues. Also turbo guys esperience this problem when to much oil is being injected into the center section. It is always cured buy the correct restrictor being inserted into the feed line.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All Im going to add to these shenanigans is I've got 4k now on my setup below and no issues at all....
Old 05-03-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

but how can you test this oil theory to see if it is true?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I've been in contact with some people about a new impeller for our s/c (from the g-trim) s/c that would raise boost without raising oil pressure. It looked real promising for a while however every source has said that Vortech does not sell just the impeller to dealers. Apparently you have to send in your s/c to Vortech to have the impeller replaced which wouldn't work for us. So the only way for us to replace the impeller is to buy a full g-trim supercharger which is VERY expensive.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry, this is a page behind, but i dont call spending 7000 dollars on barely 200 hp a tantrum. final answer. and hopefully by the time i buy a sc, trd would have adressed the issue.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I only hope that at some time in the near future TRD ( who i can imagine is well aware of this site/issue ) steps in to see what has/is really happening to these units. Not as a warranty service, but to step in, work with those who are having problems, and let's get them resolved for all the owners. At this point as a sc owner, i just think it would be nice to find out what the outlook is for those who don't mod theirs; and what the strengths & limitations are for those who do. We all understand the term "for off road use only", so if that's where the sc with mods fall, then so be it. But let us all know what we can get out of this car if we do want to push the envelope. And if there is something to the recent thoughts about oil pressure, or if there are bad seals, or whatever: then let's get 'em fixed and move on. Some of us are still stock, and may stay that way for awhile while the warranty is in effect. But it won't be forever. If i get the urge to hot rod ours ( errr, with my wife/s permission of course ) then i'd like to know that with "x" mod I can get "y" performance, etc.....
And right now all that info is coming strictly from the car owners, thru trial and error.... ( you know, that in some ways is like the old days... ).
Whether we want 200 or 250hp; 14 sec or 12, just give us the options and let us make up our own minds....
sorry for rambling.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just thought I'd update on my situation. I had my car fixed today and when I went to get it they informed me that the tamperproof cap had been removed from my s/c and that if I needed any warranty work on the S/C ITSELF that I would need to have one on there. I thought it was pretty interesting that they didn't make a huge deal of it because I won't lie to my dealer so I took it in with the ZPI pulley on the car. Anyways, they replaced a gasket behind my timing belt tensioner and it has seemed to fix my TINY oil leak that I was finding above my oil pan. They fixed it under warranty and I didn't have to pay a penny (of course it wasn't a s/c shaft leak, but still).

(Also anyone close to Louisville with the s/c please read my post about the ZPI S/C Intake: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...12959&start=25 )

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!