Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to post this massive debate about the tamperproof cap before we start another one. Please search for this stuff guys, it's what ruins these threads.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...amperproof+cap
Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Sorry it was just a thought, Since it was related I didnt think to search the other threads.

Sorry again.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's alright man, I didn't mean to jump down your throat. I thought you might be one of the ones that get on here and carry arguments out for pages about how they've been mistreated by the dealer so they're going to stick it to them now and then they get the threads locked. Sorry about that man
Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, just heard back from Scion... BAD NEWS...
They are putting the problem on the Aftermarket header, stating that the excessive heat from the Header is warping the seals in the shaft of the SuperCharger...
NOW GET THIS... It will not be covered under warranty, and you CAN NOT get new seals for the S/C.. So basically because of the header you have to buy another $3200 SuperCharger. I have already called Vortech, and they said they cannot even get the seals, neither will TRD, after I talked to them, who BTW got an attitude with me when I said,
"So you are telling me that I am out a $3200 SuperCharger for a piece that costs maybe $25?" And thats when he got an attitude with me..
Well, looks like I am just gonna part her out and trade her in... I am gonna try and figure something out. Lets hope..
Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Old 04-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
Well, just heard back from Scion... BAD NEWS...
They are putting the problem on the Aftermarket header, stating that the excessive heat from the Header is warping the seals in the shaft of the SuperCharger...
NOW GET THIS... It will not be covered under warranty, and you CAN NOT get new seals for the S/C.. So basically because of the header you have to buy another $3200 SuperCharger. I have already called Vortech, and they said they cannot even get the seals, neither will TRD, after I talked to them, who BTW got an attitude with me when I said,
"So you are telling me that I am out a $3200 SuperCharger for a piece that costs maybe $25?" And thats when he got an attitude with me..
Well, looks like I am just gonna part her out and trade her in... I am gonna try and figure something out. Lets hope..
This is what I think. We all know that exhaust gases are hot as hell. As far as I know, more boost = more heat. With that said, the heat from 7psi < the heat from 9psi. I am still running stock boost and I have had my header on for about a month now and no problems thus far. I have a feeling that the excess heat coming from the extra boost is what is causing these seals to go bad. I am no automotive guru, but thats just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

This friggin sucks, So would you recommend that I switch my stock Header on there before I go S/C?

Seems like the best solution.

Thanks ahead for the response.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not sure it will be too much of a difference, but also remember I have had the S/C on for over 7,000 miles, so just keep an eye on your shaft.. lol... Well, I am looking at maybe a 350Z..

BTW, I am prolly gonna be parting out my tC here in the next few weeks... I got an Ingalls Stiffy and White Powdercoated strut bar to get rid of..
Old 04-12-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Well, I would assume that that heat shield would eliminate some of the heat that is dissipated to the SC Shaft. Seeing as it successfully eliminates burns on your skin if you touch it

Im thinking that I might replace my dc header with my stock one before doing this. hmmm. I think I kept all the OE parts i took off, lol.

Please never tell anyone to keep an eye on their shaft haha

Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
I am not sure it will be too much of a difference, but also remember I have had the S/C on for over 7,000 miles, so just keep an eye on your shaft.. lol... Well, I am looking at maybe a 350Z..

BTW, I am prolly gonna be parting out my tC here in the next few weeks... I got an Ingalls Stiffy and White Powdercoated strut bar to get rid of..
I got the supercharger in October just like you did buddy. I have almost just as many miles on it as you do and I ALWAYS keep an eye on my shaft

btw- wanna give me a killer deal on the stiffy?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the other thing you can prolly do is somehow rig the heatshield back above the header..

We shall see about the stiffy... I still have to find another car.. but I will be taking most of my stuff off.. And this sucks cause I just ordered my H-Techs...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is too much innuendo for one post. Eesh
Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, trying to lighten the mood, especially due to how ____ed I am with Toyota and TRD.....
Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ sorry to hear about your problems dude.. but if you decide to part it out.. pm me I will take some of the stuff off your hands.. plus.. you don't think that heat wrapping the headers would help with the heat... plus why don't you wait a little and see if someone else makes a seal..for this.. just a thought.. if someone did.. would make a lot of money..
Old 04-12-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jbae1221
^^ sorry to hear about your problems dude.. but if you decide to part it out.. pm me I will take some of the stuff off your hands.. plus.. you don't think that heat wrapping the headers would help with the heat... plus why don't you wait a little and see if someone else makes a seal..for this.. just a thought.. if someone did.. would make a lot of money..
You happen to know where I can grab some heat wrap? How much does it normally run?

Only problem I see with this... UGLY. But maybe I can make it look good.

Hmm.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrHer0
You happen to know where I can grab some heat wrap? How much does it normally run?

Hmm.

Thanks
Summitracing.com or jegs.com will have it.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, I know the DC header isnt as close to the S/C unit as the Megan is (pictured above). Sorry to hear man.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unbolt the three bolts on the shaft and take a pic of the seal. I can't believe it's a custom for a production volume this low. I bet I can find a replacement pretty easily.

Aw, I just realized I can get a look at one locally. Nevermind about the pic.

We did have some custom seals made for the 2JZ oil pumps on turbo'd engines because the OEM seals kept blowing out. Sound Performance put up the money for them, so they would definitely know who, where, and how to get a seal made if it's non-standard.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ This is hopefully good news.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Munch
Originally Posted by MrHer0

Hmm.

Thanks
Summitracing.com or jegs.com will have it.
Think that THIS
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=13945
stuff would be good?, It kinda seems like a cool solution. No experience with this kind of thing so I am looking for advice.

I think that heat wrapping the header would be a great solution to overheating the seals on the S/C/

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger owners...very important!!!!