Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Cam timing issue - engine builders please read - urgent

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cam timing issue - engine builders please read - urgent

Alright so i got the motor back from the machine shop today - ive done alot of work over the years but with the crank and other work needing to be done to this one i took the entire long block to a machine shop. Its a local shop thats been around for 30+ years and is a great bunch of guys - ive had them do work for me before - all very reliable - so at first i didnt second guess them - now ive got the motor pretty much all the way in the car and i am. This cam/valve timing just DOES NOT seem right - i really think he lined the exhaust cam up on the wrong timing mark - theres three marks on the sproket so it wouldnt be too hard to do. Take a look at the pics ive linked to and let me know what you think. I havent tried to fire it yet but getting to the timing chain tensioner is gunna be a _____ - something im not looking foward to - i already have the intake mani on and wiring harness secure Images are full size so they make take a few to load. Im really worried about this - if its what im thinking - the exhaust is almost 90* retarded - this thing prolly wont even start

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...g/P1000890.jpg

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...g/P1000889.jpg

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...g/P1000891.jpg

Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cam timing issue - engine builders please read - urgent

Originally Posted by thendawg
Alright so i got the motor back from the machine shop today - ive done alot of work over the years but with the crank and other work needing to be done to this one i took the entire long block to a machine shop. Its a local shop thats been around for 30+ years and is a great bunch of guys - ive had them do work for me before - all very reliable - so at first i didnt second guess them - now ive got the motor pretty much all the way in the car and i am. This cam/valve timing just DOES NOT seem right - i really think he lined the exhaust cam up on the wrong timing mark - theres three marks on the sproket so it wouldnt be too hard to do. Take a look at the pics ive linked to and let me know what you think. I havent tried to fire it yet but getting to the timing chain tensioner is gunna be a biscuit - something im not looking foward to - i already have the intake mani on and wiring harness secure Images are full size so they make take a few to load. Im really worried about this - if its what im thinking - the exhaust is almost 90* retarded - this thing prolly wont even start

Thanks guys!
Here are the pics fixed for you!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are the notches on the cam gears right? It looks right to me...I mean, the lobes are not going to be 180 degrees from each other. Once the exhaust closes, the intake opens...I'm no mechanic and I'm sure I'll be corrected, but it seems right to me. I would get it checked before you turn it over though...by hand or with the starter
Old 01-31-2009, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

grea it killed my last post - so yea what i said was - it looks like theres almost 40-50 degress of valve overlap which def doesnt make since to me. Maybe though it has to have the cams installed this way and than vvti retards or advances the intake cam via the ecu when the car first starts - it really just doesnt look right to me.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well after looking at another dohc setup it seems this might actually be about right - maybe im wrong Worst case - i ddi hand crank it and the valves did hit piston so i guess i could finish putting her together and test fire it - if it doesnt fire than we know we have a problem
Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also - if this helps the intake cam was clearly aligned to the only timing mark on it - on the exhaust cam there are three marks - one labeld exhaust - one intake - and one thats just a hash. The exhaust cam was aligned on the exhaust "E" mark.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope doesnt look good... if the engine is at tdc, the intake car is advanced alot... The lobes on the intake cam in cylinder 4 should point in about a 45 degree angle in the opposite direction of the exhaust cams in the same cylinder... There are market spots on the chain to be used as a reference. The two that are close together should be lined up to the two timing marks on the cams and the one alone should be lined up to the mark on the crank sprocket.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i fixed the timing - the motors running beautifully - he def had it wrong - im calling the machine shop monday they owe me two new arms and 3 hrs lol removing cams and changing the timing with the motor in the car is NOT fun - the tensioner is a _____ to get to and trying to see the mark on the crank pulley and aligning to the 0* mark isnt fun either I dont think ive ever tore up my forearms this bad doing anything before lol - o well it runs great so its worth it Now just getting ready to take her out for a break in session
Old 02-01-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm glad you got that timing issure straightened out... Looked like you were damn close to bending a valve the way they gave it back to you.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what timing mark did you line the exhaust side with? and did you happen to get a pic of it aligned correct before you put the valve cover on?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry no pics before i put the valve cover back on As for the mark it hsould be aligned on the hash mark on the exhaust cam with NO markings next to it - there are three makrs an I with a dot, E with a dot, and a hash - it should be aligned on the hash. Also if you remove the cam sprocket set bolt - you will see this hash aligns with the sprocket alignment tooth. After you look at the factory service manual its prtty easy to see but for an engine builder with not alot of toyota experience this serious piece might be overlooked. Good thing i took the valve cover off this thing to paint it before i tried to start it This is a reminder - no matter how good anyone is - everyone makes mistakes
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gingles
so what timing mark did you line the exhaust side with? and did you happen to get a pic of it aligned correct before you put the valve cover on?
Using the cylinder closest to the cam gears as reference... Looking at the head with the cams closest to you and the cam angle sensor away from you. You are looking at the first cylinder near the cam gears. The lobes on the intake cam should be point in a 45degree angle to the left awar from the exhaust cams, and the exhaust cams should mirror this... At this point you locate the timing marks on the chain and cam, there should be 7 links between these two marks. Place the chain on the gears putting the marked links on the nearest marks on the gears... The chain links will either be brass or painted yellow depending on the year of the car. Then you line up the marked link to the mark on the crank sprocket. After you do it once, it becomes very straight forward.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL...good thing you didn't listen to me!