Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Clutch Issue UPDATE PG 3. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we have the rod pretty muched turned all the way to let it out...
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do i need to pump clutch or have car on or anything before taking line off travis or just go ahead n unclamp it and see?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The method I use to bleed clutches is the Tilton recommended method. It keeps from putting un necessary pressure on the hydraulic system.

1. Get a friend to help you.

2. Fill the reservoir in the master cylinder.

3. Connect a clear hose on the end of the bleeder for the slave cylinder.

4. Open the bleeder, have your friend push the pedal down to the floor. Do this at a medium pace. Don't slam it down to the floor and likewise don't raise the pedal super fast either. Close the bleeder.

5. With bleeder closed, tell him to raise the pedal steadily.

6. Repeat. Do this a few times until all air is bled from the system. Keep an eye on your reservoir level.

Adjust your pedal after doing this. If you are still having trouble you may want to consider replacing the slave if you didn't do that already and maybe include a stainless steel braided clutch line. Anything to strengthen the clutch system.

If all else fails then you probably have something mechanical going on.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DezodDon
The method I use to bleed clutches is the Tilton recommended method. It keeps from putting un necessary pressure on the hydraulic system.

4. Open the bleeder, have your friend push the pedal down to the floor. Do this at a medium pace. Don't slam it down to the floor and likewise don't raise the pedal super fast either. Close the bleeder.

6. Repeat. Do this a few times until all air is bled from the system. Keep an eye on your reservoir level.

Adjust your pedal after doing this. If you are still having trouble you may want to consider replacing the slave if you didn't do that already and maybe include a stainless steel braided clutch line. Anything to strengthen the clutch system.

Good luck

Great post
Old 09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon

Good luck

Same method I use. Bleeding is a two man job...that is until you get tired of all these steps like I did, and man up and buy yourself some Speed Bleeders.

Speed Bleeders FTMFW!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
do i need to pump clutch or have car on or anything before taking line off travis or just go ahead n unclamp it and see?

Naw, I just unclamped it (from the MC side, not the tank side) and pulled the hose off. Don't know why I did it. It was a last minute thing done out of frustration cause my clutch was still not returning or pumping fluid while bleeding. I was up to 3am trying to fix it, cause I was leaving that day for Indy for Scion Exposed and I was just about to break down and start crying....LOL. Some reason (instinct maybe), I pulled the hose nothing came out...then suddenly the air escaped and I reconnected it when the fluid started flowing. BAM...problem solved.

Your pressure plate on your clutch has nothing to do with your clutch returning to you, unless the plates spines are broken off (which is unheard of). If you feel tension upon pushing it in, then that's the pressure plate on the clutch working. If it's not returning, then there is still an issue with the clutch MC, clutch Slave, or air in the lines somewhere. My immediate though is air in the lines still. Follow the steps above if you don't have speed bleeders.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in you post you said open bleeder first then press down clutch, isnt it the other way around?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and travis, why would it work for 6 hours and then this happens? if there was air stuck in the line it woulda effected it from the beggining wouldnt it have?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

in you post you said open bleeder first then press down clutch, isnt it the other way around?

Naw, you want to open bleeder....push in clutch.....close bleeder....release clutch slowly. I had to do mind by hand since the clutch would not return under it's own power.

and travis, why would it work for 6 hours and then this happens? if there was air stuck in the line it woulda effected it from the beggining wouldnt it have?

Didn't you say before that it was still engaging real low.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya it was since we replaced the mc but now it just collapsed
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok well i started bleeding it a tad with a friend the way don told me to and now the fork creeps alot slower back, pedal kinda wants to come out but still sinks it but now if i press the clutch all the way in i can hear the clutch chatter and it will go into first now.... i did it about 15 times, keep going?