Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

cold weather idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TJKASS
Sorry, by trims I mean the values in those cells for idle, terminology mistake, not the percentage trims for closed loop. And since its only from a cold start this happens, it would definitely by an issue with the idle map, also why is your TP value set so high?
couldn't tell ya. Thats part of the original ZPI tune. I never had a problem with stalling so I never bothered to open up and tinker with that part of the map. If you think its contributing to this cold start issue I will follow dezods sticky and change it up.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the Emanage will clamp the MAF sensor value to ECU at all throttle positions below the value you entered as it considers the accel closed. and right now you have it at the max value of 10%. which means at 10% or less throttle youre running off of the values in that table and not what the maf actually sees. possibly leading to the issues with the car on the freeway at that 10-15% throttle id say. And also the hold time setting of 5 sec is maxed out in your tune meaning once the Emanage goes into this clamp mode it will wait 5 sec before returning to normal control.

I would def suggest lowering the TP value to what dezod specified because of this and also lowering that time or dwell setting cuz right now its holding you in clamped mode for 5 sec at a time. tell me, is that about how long the engine would run at 1500rpm idle before dying back down and stuttering, then pick back up and run ok for 5 sec?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TJKASS
Well the Emanage will clamp the MAF sensor value to ECU at all throttle positions below the value you entered as it considers the accel closed. and right now you have it at the max value of 10%. which means at 10% or less throttle youre running off of the values in that table and not what the maf actually sees. possibly leading to the issues with the car on the freeway at that 10-15% throttle id say. And also the hold time setting of 5 sec is maxed out in your tune meaning once the Emanage goes into this clamp mode it will wait 5 sec before returning to normal control.

I would def suggest lowering the TP value to what dezod specified because of this and also lowering that time or dwell setting cuz right now its holding you in clamped mode for 5 sec at a time. tell me, is that about how long the engine would run at 1500rpm idle before dying back down and stuttering, then pick back up and run ok for 5 sec?
Yep that sounds about right, I will change those settings and see what happens. thanks a bunch for the advice!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon
Your fuel trims have nothing to do with this since fuel trims are corrections made by the ECU during closed loop operation, AFTER, the engine has warmed up.

Your main fuel map probably does not have enough fuel in the cell that is related to the conditions you are experiencing.

The reason your engine runs better once it is warmed has to do with the ECU entering closed loop operation and your short and long term fuel trims correcting your fuel delivery in the areas where your main fuel map is incorrect. That and engines need heat to run properly.
My 08 XB enters CL as soon as the AFR sensor warms up. At 20*F this takes about 1-2 minutes.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I changed up the anti-stall settings. Didnt help much. during cold start the maf output is alot higher than normal, so when setting it for cold start it works great however soon as it warms up it wont idle. And if i set it for normal idle, it doesnt make any difference in cold start....grrr
Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Interesting. I know I'm having problems right now but at least i have a CEL...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
Well I changed up the anti-stall settings. Didnt help much. during cold start the maf output is alot higher than normal, so when setting it for cold start it works great however soon as it warms up it wont idle. And if i set it for normal idle, it doesnt make any difference in cold start....grrr
What do you have your MAF clamped at? Why do you have it clamped real low in load anyway? No need for it unless you're running a really small turbo that maybe spools at idle.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Agree. And exactly what I was wondering/trying to imply
Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
What do you have your MAF clamped at? Why do you have it clamped real low in load anyway? No need for it unless you're running a really small turbo that maybe spools at idle.

maf clamp is like 4.80, but I dont think that kicks in untill 3kish rpms (per ptunning because i was maxing it out)

In the airflow map the cells around my idle are -15 (been that way since my ZPI tune)

my anti-stall is 1.68ish (added 5% to normal idle at the time) i think, during cold start the maf output ranges between 2.5 and stall as it surges. during normal idle the maf output is around 1.5-1.7

Now if i set my anti-stall to like 2.3 it cold starts great, never stalls, however once its warm it will die at every stop i make. at 1.6 it idles fine while warm but i have the same cold start problem.

turbo is a MHI 20g, 550cc injectors.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My problem just got worse today...I removed the anti-stall, and it idled a little better, but still trying to stall which means this isn't my problem...might consider this!?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
maf clamp is like 4.80, but I dont think that kicks in untill 3kish rpms (per ptunning because i was maxing it out)

In the airflow map the cells around my idle are -15 (been that way since my ZPI tune)

my anti-stall is 1.68ish (added 5% to normal idle at the time) i think, during cold start the maf output ranges between 2.5 and stall as it surges. during normal idle the maf output is around 1.5-1.7

Now if i set my anti-stall to like 2.3 it cold starts great, never stalls, however once its warm it will die at every stop i make. at 1.6 it idles fine while warm but i have the same cold start problem.

turbo is a MHI 20g, 550cc injectors.
Sounds like an E-manage blue right?? DO you have access to an OBD2 scan tool where you can monitor fuel trims and sensor voltages?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Sounds like an E-manage blue right?? DO you have access to an OBD2 scan tool where you can monitor fuel trims and sensor voltages?
I use ultimate, and no I do not. Its on the list of things to get tho.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have access to a obdII scanner that has freeze frame? alot of them do and it shows you the stft & ltft it was on when the check engine light came on. it also tell you load, ignition, temp etc.