Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Comparing sp turbo kit to turbonetics kit!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmlloveless
So what I am getting out of this is that with the SP system I am going to have to spend another $2000 to get the AEM if I wan to tune up in the 300hp range, but with the Turbonetics I can tune that with the Unichip?

I do realize the AEM EMS is a better route to go if I try to get around 450-600hp out of my tC. But realisticly I am not made of that kind of money to even be thinking those numbers in horsepower right now! My ultimate goal is to get around 350whp on a stock head, then do a little tweeking to the fuel managment and internals to reach around 400-450whp. Basically I want to have a tC that stomps my buddies in their civics and srt-4's(I am not talking basic stock civics and srt-4s either).
Well the beauty of the Unichip is it will take you to 300 RWHP now and when you build the motor down the line it can still control the car at whatever power goal you want 450-600
Old 04-05-2006, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well let me clear some things up. Turning up the boost on the Turbonetics kit absolutely does NOT require an EMS change. The EMS has controlled cars into the 800 HP range before and higher. The Unichip is also a MUCH more capable unit then the S-AFC in every regard. As for the power potential of the kits I can tell you that the Turbonetics kit made that power with an 11:1 AFR which is far richer then most anybody tunes to and on 91 octane no less. YOu could retune to 11.5:1 on any octane gas and make more then the SP kit does. Turbonetics releases it like that to keep it safe. Every component in the Turbonetics kit is good to 400+ WHP with tuning and raising boost. Turbonetics will be doing so very soon once the motor on one of their cars is built. Look for a 450 WHP Tc to be prowling the streets of Socal :D Thats with the out of box kit, tuning, and a built motor.

Wait you are saying that you can take a car making 240 WHP at 11-1 and retune it to 11.5-1 and make more than 260 WHP?

You sure about that?
Old 04-05-2006, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member

Is the unichip something you can tune yourself? I really do not know much about it so I am asking. So once you build the bottom end, lower the compression..... port the head, chancge the cams etc and need this unichip retuned.... how do you go about this? Aside from timing and fuel can the unichip do NOS control, shift the tranny, do closed loop correction, idle speed, two step launch control, anti lag, traction control, shift light, and about 50 other things that come standard with the AEM EMS?

Lets face it, the most important things you will need to make big HP are the turbo, a good header and good fuel management. Our kits come with a Garrett GT turbo, a stainless steel header (not cast manifold). We are now offering the AEM EMS as engine management for the Scion. Our kits come with a return boost referenced fuel system with a pump capable of 600+ HP. Our kits come with a Tial WG, and ceramic coatings and polishing standard.

While the Turbonetics kit surely is nice, the lack of fuel system, lack of a header type manifold and the lack of complete engine management will hold it back from making big HP. I designed our kit to be the most upgradable kit available with the most HP potential.

Larry
SP
Old 04-05-2006, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Larry, I've heard some good things about you from my boy who is a member on the Supra forums. Are you the one who is always competing with Ryan? I enjoy sittin in the parking lot listening to the updates on the "battles" for the records. I hear someone finally broke the 10's on the stock twins!!! WOOO
Old 04-05-2006, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Well let me clear some things up. Turning up the boost on the Turbonetics kit absolutely does NOT require an EMS change. The EMS has controlled cars into the 800 HP range before and higher. The Unichip is also a MUCH more capable unit then the S-AFC in every regard. As for the power potential of the kits I can tell you that the Turbonetics kit made that power with an 11:1 AFR which is far richer then most anybody tunes to and on 91 octane no less. YOu could retune to 11.5:1 on any octane gas and make more then the SP kit does. Turbonetics releases it like that to keep it safe. Every component in the Turbonetics kit is good to 400+ WHP with tuning and raising boost. Turbonetics will be doing so very soon once the motor on one of their cars is built. Look for a 450 WHP Tc to be prowling the streets of Socal :D Thats with the out of box kit, tuning, and a built motor.

Wait you are saying that you can take a car making 240 WHP at 11-1 and retune it to 11.5-1 and make more than 260 WHP?

Yes it can depending on how you add timing and where. How do I know, because I've done it. Running 11:1 on 91 octane fuel in Socal I made 371 RWHP. Switching to 101 the timing increase got me to 11.5:1 AFR and I put down 390 RWHP at the same boost pressure.
You sure about that?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the unichip something you can tune yourself? I really do not know much about it so I am asking. So once you build the bottom end, lower the compression..... port the head, chancge the cams etc and need this unichip retuned.... how do you go about this? Aside from timing and fuel can the unichip do NOS control, shift the tranny, do closed loop correction, idle speed, two step launch control, anti lag, traction control, shift light, and about 50 other things that come standard with the AEM EMS?

Lets face it, the most important things you will need to make big HP are the turbo, a good header and good fuel management. Our kits come with a Garrett GT turbo, a stainless steel header (not cast manifold). We are now offering the AEM EMS as engine management for the Scion. Our kits come with a return boost referenced fuel system with a pump capable of 600+ HP. Our kits come with a Tial WG, and ceramic coatings and polishing standard.

While the Turbonetics kit surely is nice, the lack of fuel system, lack of a header type manifold and the lack of complete engine management will hold it back from making big HP. I designed our kit to be the most upgradable kit available with the most HP potential.

Larry
SP
Let me start with your question about the Unichip. NO you have to go to an authorzied Unichip tuner to do this. Yes the Unichip can control a nitrous solenoid, intercooler sprayer, water/meth injection, closed loop boost control, idle speed and several other factors. Get this straight I never said it was BETTER then an AEM EMS. In fact I stated just the opposite. It is however a LOT better then the S-AFC. That is of course unless the S-AFC recently added 6 channel datalogging for up to 30 minutes via a blue tooth link since the Unichip Q does do that. There is no return fuel system on the kit because fuel pressure hasn't been an issue to 350 WHP that Turbonetics has taken their test car. Sure a SS header style manifold is nice but without proper bracing is more prone to cracking and fatigue. The cast manifold is built for reliability. Theres a reason most OEM companies use cast as opposed to ss for their turbo cars. I think I addressed you "complete" management claim already. When did your base lowest price kit come with an AEM EMS? Looks like an add on everywhere I've seen it...
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member

Let me start with your question about the Unichip. NO you have to go to an authorzied Unichip tuner to do this. Yes the Unichip can control a nitrous solenoid, intercooler sprayer, water/meth injection, closed loop boost control, idle speed and several other factors. Get this straight I never said it was BETTER then an AEM EMS. In fact I stated just the opposite. It is however a LOT better then the S-AFC. That is of course unless the S-AFC recently added 6 channel datalogging for up to 30 minutes via a blue tooth link since the Unichip Q does do that. There is no return fuel system on the kit because fuel pressure hasn't been an issue to 350 WHP that Turbonetics has taken their test car. Sure a SS header style manifold is nice but without proper bracing is more prone to cracking and fatigue. The cast manifold is built for reliability. Theres a reason most OEM companies use cast as opposed to ss for their turbo cars. I think I addressed you "complete" management claim already. When did your base lowest price kit come with an AEM EMS? Looks like an add on everywhere I've seen it...
Wow, the unichip does sound pretty nice!

Our base kit was designed for those that only want to go to about 400 WHP. After that point we feel that a built motor and the AEM are necessary.

There is no doubt that in todays world of quality headers, a SS header will outflow a cast manifold by far and still offer great reliability. We warranty our headers against cracking for lifetime!

It seems that both of our kits have some great parts. I am sure there is plenty of room in the market for both of our kits!

Larry
SP
Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, the unichip does sound pretty nice!

Our base kit was designed for those that only want to go to about 400 WHP. After that point we feel that a built motor and the AEM are necessary.

There is no doubt that in todays world of quality headers, a SS header will outflow a cast manifold by far and still offer great reliability. We warranty our headers against cracking for lifetime!

It seems that both of our kits have some great parts. I am sure there is plenty of room in the market for both of our kits!

Larry
SP
I agree theres room for both of us. The reason Turbonetics went with the Unichip is that it works extremely well for just about any power range. There are no less then 4 cars in the Z world making in excess of 650 RWHP and one in excess of 700 RWHP running the Unichip for tuning and boost control with zero issues. While I agree a full standalone is a beautiful thing the Unichip offers control up to standalone levels without the added cost. Not to mention its plug and play which the EMS was not at the time the kit was designed. Hopefully we can get all the kits together for a shootout sometime this summer.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the unichip is a nice system. We're working on another platform so we can all find out what options work best for everyone. The more options the better.

I'd love to put each turbo kit company on one track and have a fun clean shootout and many categories. I may be heading out to AZ for good at the end of summer so we'll see where we're all doing this.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Yeah the unichip is a nice system. We're working on another platform so we can all find out what options work best for everyone. The more options the better.

I'd love to put each turbo kit company on one track and have a fun clean shootout and many categories. I may be heading out to AZ for good at the end of summer so we'll see where we're all doing this.
Thats my thought. Same dyno, same day, same mod list, same fuel, etc. Head to head style. Compare everything from parts, power delivery, cost, same driver track times, etc. I think we can secure some mag coverage on it. Just need one car for each kit. Best case would be a car with nothing else but the kit. Stock car, stock exhaust, etc kit only out of box.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

That works for me lets do it... We should have Ryan Woon drive. He runs the fasest 6 speed Supra in the world...
Old 04-06-2006, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Parts_Pimp
That works for me lets do it... We should have Ryan Woon drive. He runs the fasest 6 speed Supra in the world...
Only if we can have Ara Arslanian drive the Turbonetics Tc :D
Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

I thought we wanted the same diver in all the cars... Not a problem I can call Ara I am sure he would do it for us... We were out at his shop tuning some customer cars not to long ago...
Old 04-06-2006, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Parts_Pimp
I thought we wanted the same diver in all the cars... Not a problem I can call Ara I am sure he would do it for us... We were out at his shop tuning some customer cars not to long ago...
I'm sure Ara would be happy to come out and drive for us although I sincerely doubt his schedule will permit it. He's on a first name basis with pretty much all the guys at Turbonetics so I have no doubt they could call him if need be. I guess it depends on where we plan to do this shootout. The mag guys are for the most part in Socal so that would of course be first choice. If thats the case I now an EXCELLENT FWD SCCA racer who might be willing to drive the cars and also happens to write for Sport Compact Car. That would be Mike Kojima.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When are you guys looking to do the shootout with all the kits? Im looking to open a shop in AZ in August. Either AZ or FL. Still trying to figure out which is best. Either way, it'll have a road course I can make some runs on. Along with everyone else in the area.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When are you guys looking to do the shootout with all the kits? Im looking to open a shop in AZ in August. Either AZ or FL. Still trying to figure out which is best. Either way, it'll have a road course I can make some runs on. Along with everyone else in the area.
Well thats all going to come down to scheduling. This summer would be good. Maybe a dyno session in Lake Elsinore and then a short drive up to Cal Speedway for some 1/4 mile times and road racing. I think the mag that covers it will have to decide some of the stuff. I'll talk to the Marketing Manager tomorrow and see when the test cars will be available. Would the agreement be all stock cars aside from the kit running pump gas ONLY?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well thats all going to come down to scheduling. This summer would be good. Maybe a dyno session in Lake Elsinore and then a short drive up to Cal Speedway for some 1/4 mile times and road racing. I think the mag that covers it will have to decide some of the stuff. I'll talk to the Marketing Manager tomorrow and see when the test cars will be available. Would the agreement be all stock cars aside from the kit running pump gas ONLY?
stock cars aside from the kit and on pum gas? sure, i can do that.

You know my cell, so like I said just call me when you want to talk more about this.
I'll be awaiting the phone call if you have new updates or just want to talk about this event in general. I can even drive out if you ever have a meeting.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would love to see some results from all the different companies. Would be awesome info for poeple who plan on boosting their car.

Also I wanna commend SP/MIAPLAYA/Joe @ Dezod for having a mature discussion...I'm used to the EVO forums where most of the vendors just bash each other left and right and don't have anything constructive to say.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

We should do it in Vegas at eh strip just before SEMA. There is a Supra meet about 2 weeks before SEMA. That would be a good time and a great race track....
Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Our we can do it on PINKS winner takes the ride....

Quick Reply: Comparing sp turbo kit to turbonetics kit!