Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

And It Continues....*Update Pg 1*

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's rod tap? What causes it?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
Screw Nissan or BMW both yuppie trash for losers who cant work for the HP and have to go buy a "package" builder car in hopes of getting laid. The IS is a drivers car not a image
Wow, I never considered my wife or I losers who drive yuppie trash.....lol.
And we don't really have a problem getting laid either.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default Rod tapping

I had the same noise on my tC at about 10,000 miles. It turned out to be either a bent rod or a spun bearing. Since I could prove I maintained the car with oil changes, they replaced the engine under warrenty. Perhaps you could go this route. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2006, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member

This sounds really really familiar. Having the same tapping noise. I cant hear mine at WOT due to the exhaust but I do hear mine particularly around 3000-3200 rpm. I guess I should look forward to a weeks worth of rental car and a new engine then.....
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Another thing that used to happen to us 20V 4age engine guys is when the oil controlled vvt cam gear started to go, it would make tapping sounds... just another thought...
Old 12-05-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You probably spun a bearing or blew one of the rings on yr pistons. How many pounds were you running? Your car might have been detonating for a while without you even knowing. Detonation on these engines especially will kill it quick...those internals blow.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FrankenScion
Screw Nissan or BMW both yuppie trash for losers who cant work for the HP and have to go buy a "package" builder car in hopes of getting laid. The IS is a drivers car not a image

NOW I didnt say all Nissan owners. There are a few very nice a worth while people in the Nissan crowd. I will never say that about the BMW crowd.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Zach, sorry to hear you are having problems again. Your reasons for buying an IS350 are the same as mine for buying the WRX Sport Wagon. it is fast and reliable. I am loving the decision...now she just has to say yes when I give her that ring I just spent 3 grand on.

Good luck man, and keep us posted on what the issue is.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why are you guys hating on TC's now, it all about how you treat your car not ragging on it everyday and tuning that thing right.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think from BlkSandPrlTurbotC's walkthrough of his tC build, he treated his car very well. Plus, it seems every tC in AZ is boosted so they have a great network of knowledge for turbo tC's....
Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by FrankenScion

NOW I didnt say all Nissan owners. There are a few very nice a worth while people in the Nissan crowd. I will never say that about the BMW crowd.

The BMW crowd is to Stuck-Up for me.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rasta
Why are you guys hating on TC's now, it all about how you treat your car not ragging on it everyday and tuning that thing right.
Its not that we are ragging on the TC its the fact that only a select few Tc's are "reliable" most are running Dezod or Tnetics kits/ZPI and have took the time to tune and keep an eye on everything. Why drive a car that causes you to worry if it will be running tommorow to get you into work. Some of us have just took the step into the next level of the Tuner lifestyle and thats the 25,000+ vehicle range. The Tc has its limits and some people are starting to see that.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

exactly what BOXMAN said. I had nothing but problems with my tC and the supercharger. The roof fell apart, two CELs, and a bad supercharger all in a very short time. So I moved on to the Subie world. I love AWD as my girlfriend used to have one. She now has the xA and I have the WRX. it's all good. Plus, I got a killer deal on the WRX since it was a leftover, so although it was in the 25,000+ price range, I paid less than that. :D
Old 12-05-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
exactly what BOXMAN said. I had nothing but problems with my tC and the supercharger. The roof fell apart, two CELs, and a bad supercharger all in a very short time. So I moved on to the Subie world. I love AWD as my girlfriend used to have one. She now has the xA and I have the WRX. it's all good. Plus, I got a killer deal on the WRX since it was a leftover, so although it was in the 25,000+ price range, I paid less than that. :D
That is weird what year is your car? I have a 06 and no issues yet (knock on wood) I have a custom kit with a large turbo. It’s been cool so far the only problem I have is clunking noise coming from the roof area when I hit a bump.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Mine was an 06.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw Nissan or BMW both yuppie trash for losers who cant work for the HP and have to go buy a "package" builder car in hopes of getting laid.
Yea, they all should've bought a cheap marketing project from Toyota in the hopes that Reverse Psychology will make a come-back, right?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
Screw Nissan or BMW both yuppie trash for losers who cant work for the HP and have to go buy a "package" builder car in hopes of getting laid.
Yea, they all should've bought a cheap marketing project from Toyota in the hopes that Reverse Psychology will make a come-back, right?

What the hell are you talking about. Scion is a stripped down Toyota Period! Nissan isnt a stripped down anything its an extension and not the best car out for the price. BMW's are all marketing and status symbols very few are bought by DRIVERS! I am not defending SCION nor do I think the Tc is better than the 350z just why go with a Z when better options are there.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Sorry to hear your problems Zach but best of luck to you. IMHO i love my tC and I've grenaded a tC motor already. I still prefer the tC cause of looks and at the end of the day I look at it and it makes me happy. Problems or not I love it Now it obvious that as much as Zach has taken every proper step to insure and has dealt with headaches more than anything. So, again, good luck Zach.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs

What the hell are you talking about. Scion is a stripped down Toyota Period! Nissan isnt a stripped down anything its an extension and not the best car out for the price. BMW's are all marketing and status symbols very few are bought by DRIVERS! I am not defending SCION nor do I think the Tc is better than the 350z just why go with a Z when better options are there.

Isnt' it just great when you can have both...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by "BOXMAN
Its not that we are ragging on the TC its the fact that only a select few Tc's are "reliable" most are running Dezod or Tnetics kits/ZPI and have took the time to tune and keep an eye on everything. Why drive a car that causes you to worry if it will be running tommorow to get you into work. Some of us have just took the step into the next level of the Tuner lifestyle and thats the 25,000+ vehicle range. The Tc has its limits and some people are starting to see that.
exactly, i got rid of mine because im done with the tuner phase of life. It doesnt mean that its bad but it was time for me to move on. the nice part is now i have a turbo in the truck a really big turbo......