Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Cooling upgrades, koyo rad, turbo blanket, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by Carlanga
nah, all u need is a minimum of 30% to lubricate moving parts. I might have a bit over 35%, I was kind of rounding it up. Anyways, the more water the better ur cooling will be. Higher boiling point.

better cooling yes higher boiling point i dont think so...im about 99% sure one of the primary reasons for antifreez is to raise the boiling point as well as to lower the freezing point. At least i think thats right, im still wakeing up...lmao
Old 09-05-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. I used Toyota Pink 50/50 and Redline Water Wetter... I think.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crush Automotive Customs
better cooling yes higher boiling point i dont think so...im about 99% sure one of the primary reasons for antifreez is to raise the boiling point as well as to lower the freezing point. At least i think thats right, im still wakeing up...lmao
yes sir ur correct about rasing the boiling point with antifreeze, my bad I got that confused with the higher pressure rad cap. Anyways, too much antifreeze and u'll loose the cooling ability of the system. That's why there's 50/50 mix, safe combo for grandma's who live down south a visit their grand kids in Alaska. For u guys that have an idea, you could dial in the right amount untill u hit the right note and get the best balance for ur system. By the way I found out that a minimum of 20% coolant is needed for street driven cars, not 35% like I explained earlier.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:16 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
Very nice radiator man !
I will upgrade next year as well.
How muh was it and do you have any problems with it ?
I know mishimoto leak like no tomorrow !
I got it from fastscions.com, I think I paid about just over $300 for the rad and cap combo. The shipping was fast too, took like four work days. Zero problems with it so far, no leakage, vibrations, nothing. I deff like the plug type they went with, they are made out of metal with a rubber grommet. It bolts on with an open end wrench, no crappy plastic parts. It cools like crazy and it looks purty.
At first I was gonna go with the mishimoto, but Chris (Crush) convinced me to get the koyo. I don't mind the price though, I can't stand paying for something just to be messing around with it once a month.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

yes sir ur correct about rasing the boiling point with antifreeze, my bad I got that confused with the higher pressure rad cap. Anyways, too much antifreeze and u'll loose the cooling ability of the system. That's why there's 50/50 mix, safe combo for grandma's who live down south a visit their grand kids in Alaska. For u guys that have an idea, you could dial in the right amount untill u hit the right note and get the best balance for ur system. By the way I found out that a minimum of 20% coolant is needed for street driven cars, not 35% like I explained earlier.
....i must say brethren you did your homework on that...i never really thought about adding too much coolant doing any harm really...(thought just never crossed my mind)...iv always just used 50/50...most cars call for it that iv owned.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

dude i want the koyo now...damnit...lol
Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not for me though, not even with stock radiator. If ur na yes, maybe with a log mani if ur turboed.

Hey ace, I'm running 2 fans. One inside pass side as a puller and the one ouside driver side as a pusher. The stock radiator had a bad leak cuz I was lazy and didn't used 4 fan mount zip ties the first time, I only installed the fan with two one on top and one on the bottom. Not taking that chance anymore. What foam r u referring to? If you mean the thin strips on the stock rad, no.
Word. I'm running a Dezod S1 with the log manifold as mentioned. I wouldn't be messing with any aftermarket cooling system components if I was N/A. I beat the ____ out of my car N/A on back roads and never had any issue with engine bay temps. But I have melted part of my hood liner and warped my log manifold once, partially due to running lean (I have since been tuned) and I'm looking into a turbo blanket and possibly this radiator but was just wondering if i needed some fans too. I problably will go with some too as aftermarket ones would be probly be more efficient and further help with the cooling issues.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crush Automotive Customs
dude i want the koyo now...damnit...lol
You sold me on it damn it, U better get one too! lol

Steven
U need to grab a hood/turbo heatshield from Crush Automotive Customs, it looks just as good as the first day he installed it on my car. I used to have a burnt hole on the hood liner, it's nice and shiny now. Also if ur picky about ur car temps, by all means upgrade. I did it cuz I couldn't stand seen the temps fluctuating soo much from the low side of the spectrum to high over and over. I don't think is good for the block and it deff helps when is hot outside and ur setup gets less heat soaked.

U might be able to do away with the stock fan shroud/fan setup with this rad. In the other hand, what's the point of upgrading to such a nice unit just to let it get heat soak? If u don't have enough CFM's flowing through the rad, it's not going to dissipate heat efficiently. Just saying
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

yep i can help you out on the hood liner burning problem you have...its simple to do and only takes about 15min in all to install if that.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169203

priceing is here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169296
Old 09-07-2009, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

im gonna say if your setup allows you to use the stock fans, just leave the stock fans and shroud. You can upgrade the rad and thermostat. if you really want to upgrade the stock fans for more cfm, get better fans and the mishimoto fan shroud.. stay with puller fans as much as possible
Old 02-01-2010, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

how can you get mishimoto fan shroud without mishimoto fans ?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i think they sell it separately
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the reason water is better is because it dissipates heat quicker. Only problem is water evaporates and doesn't have that high of a boiling point, which is where coolant comes into play.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can u put one of those heat shields on a s/c?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:03 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

no use, there's no exhaust housing on the s/c