Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
SL Member

Default Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)

Many of you don't know me, I'm the silent type when it comes to forums. Recently I've been busting out of my shell trying to get social and all. I'm not new to boosting or the import world but am fairly new to the Scion life forum.

I'm currently away on business, you could say. I miss home and miss my car! While I've been away I've been busy on my next project, the illusive and deadly DEZOD ALPHA! I don't know when I will be home but know it will be soon.

I asked the Mrs at home to take some sexy pictures of ALPHA to keep me some company. After seeing the sexy workmanship of said ALPHA, I'm even more homesick and I'm just counting down the days! I'm sharing my pictures with you in hopes that forum chat and social interaction will make the time go by faster!

If you have an ALPHA post some pics and share with the rest of us.

Here are mine Enjoy!

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa378/browniemxn/

The turbo is a Garrett HTA2868 with custom billet wheel done right! (Garrett GT2860 dual BB turbo with billet wheel) I didn't get the turbo from DEZOD however, they can hook you up with a wicked snail. I still have to order my injectors, fuel line kit and I'm going for standalone. This should all happen when I get home.

Oh by the way, I will be having a part-out sale on my old stuff once I get back (Dezod S1 w/AEM FIC). I also have a rebuilt head, set of stock bore CP pistons and oversizes set of APR pistons. Feel free to call dibs the Mrs is good with shipping and tools!

UPDATE: 11/26/2011

After dropping off the disassembled block at the machine shop I've decided to update my pictures on Scionlife. The cylinder walls were flawless along with all bearings and pistons. I tried to capture the factory bearings and the oil channels they come with. The bearings and the crankshaft weren't scratched a bit. The bearings didn't show any signs of wear. The machine shop thought I was joking with them when I told them it was off a boosted 25k engine.

Anyway, I dropped off the head and bottom off to get honed/align hone. They are also going to polish my crank and balance it. The head and block will get resurfaced for a nice fit. They told me in about 3 business days. So.... Wednesday I'm thinking. I have everything to reassemble the engine so I'm looking to get it back together this next weekend. Getting closer but still so far away from getting this sucker done!!

UPDATE: 07/29/2012

I've been busy with work lately and finally got some down time at home. My engine and tranny are fully assembled installed and tested. I left my car fully assembled in the driveway for about 3 months, unable to touch her because of work. Today I decided I wanted to hear her purr, I dropped the wastegate spring to 3psi and placed the stock injectors back in. Cranked without EFI fuse to prime the system, slapped the fuse back in and she fired right up! I thought I would at least get a check engine light but got nothing for lights. I drove her up the hill and did some load break-ins and then came back to the drive way. Put about 10 Miles of abuse on the engine. Turbo spools great car pulls hard and the revs are fast!

Got back home checked for leaks found nothing, pulled plugs and did a quick plug read. Plugs looked great! Checked the oil, still clear and no presence of water.

I came out 2 hours later and did another start. Drove again for a few miles this time I got a check engine light but no flashing. I suspect the stock ecu finally decided to throw a secondary O2 code on me. Got home let her run for a bit in idle to cool down from doing load pulls on the hill. I did notice a loud almost knocking sound. Sound doesn't get louder with revs and disappears when not idling.

I opted for CP pistons and went with the larger end of the clearance windows. I'm very sure the sound is the CP pistons, they are noticeably louder than the stock casts. I also notice the oil I poured in is a thin 5w-20. I forgot that I had poured it when the weather was sub-zero temps here. I will just change it tomorrow to something thicker to suit the hot temps here. Anyway, I feel good about my work and the engine and tranny seem to agree. Right, now I'm waiting on my fuel management to come in from DEZOD, I will swap the injectors out and turn up the boost when they come in!

I ran into some laziness issues with my AEM EMS and jumped on another system I don't have to pour so much time and money into! I halfheartedly tried to get the AEM EMS to run with the car and mostly dreaded tuning it myself or even paying to get it done. For those of you who don't know I live in Germany and it is like pulling teeth to get anything out here. I decided I would chance a rebuild in this country and it took so, so, so, much longer than I anticipated. Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I sat around waiting for time to open up with work or for a tuner that doesn't charge $2000 for a travel/tune. In the end Paul from DEZOD happened, he emailed me a slap in the face. Paul told me to wake up, stop being so lazy, and finish my build. Thanks DEZOD.

Anyway, I will list the final components of my build just to be clear what my car has.

ENGINE:
CP PISTONS 88.5
KING ROD/MAIN BEARINGS (I love king)
K1 RODS
balance shaft removed
ATI super dampener
HEAD:
Mild PORT/POLISH
Stock rebuild
Stock cams

THE GOODS:
ALPHA MANIFOLD
Quad wideband o2's
Quad EGT stingers
Garrett GT2868HTA
ALPHA downpipe
ALPHA dumptube
Bullseye high fin density intercooler
Tial MVR 44mm wastegate (watercooled)
1000cc Bosch injectors
255lph walbro
Fuel return
Modified/Reworked Throttle body
Water/Meth system
220Amp Alt.
TRANNY:
Rebuilt/Modified OBX LSD
WPC & Cryo'ed tranny gears
Modifed supra pressure plate w/6 puck copper ceramic disc
8lb flywheel
Stock driveshafts
PENDING:
AEM EMS or DEZOD special.

I've done a lot of work on this car and am almost to the point of enjoying it to the fullest. I though I would would give an update so nobody doesn't think it didn't happen. I'm just lazy is all. And for those thinking about a build, be grateful your stateside. DEZOD or a reputable engine builder can ship to you. I will never do this again for myself! Pictures will come if my laziness doesn't take over!
Attached Thumbnails Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)-crankshaftpic.jpg   Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)-rod2azfe.jpg   Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)-pistons2azfe.jpg  

Last edited by browniemxn; 07-29-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That turbo is beastly looking!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 AM
SL Member

Turbo candy i want to eat it

How Much horse power are you aiming for and what injectors are you going to use
Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 AM
SL Member

im personally asking the mrs. to take sexy pictures of herself not the alpha lol
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice alpha cant wait till it gets put on the tc going to be killer brah!

you also have a pm
Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 AM
SL Member

My current HP goals are 320hp as the stock clutch couldn't possibly hold more than that at the current moment. I have a new clutch and flywheel combo ready to go and a LSD ready to throw in once I get some time to actually do it.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Nice looking pieces there Dan!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heck yeah, brownie time to step out the shadows espicially when your running an alpha series kit.
My stupid network is crashing today so I can't see the kit but I'm sure it's top notch.

When you get back home let me know how much for the S1 Dezod kit and the spare head.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

the stock clutch isnt going to hold that much as it is you're going to devastate it on the first pull.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
the stock clutch isnt going to hold that much as it is you're going to devastate it on the first pull.
Concur
Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM
SL Member

Well, the clutch is a stock TRD clutch, so I really have no clue what that is worth. I bought the car used with 17,000 on it. It now has 25,000 the window sticker stated the options on the car was SIDE airbags, subwoofer option and TRD Clutch (dealer installation paperwork too). But from what I see is that TRD clutch doesn't hold much more HP. I got an ACT 6 puck clutch to replace it. I don't know if I'm going to throw the flywheel in though. I like the feeling of the extra weight of the stockie.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by browniemxn
Well, the clutch is a stock TRD clutch, so I really have no clue what that is worth. I bought the car used with 17,000 on it. It now has 25,000 the window sticker stated the options on the car was SIDE airbags, subwoofer option and TRD Clutch (dealer installation paperwork too). But from what I see is that TRD clutch doesn't hold much more HP. I got an ACT 6 puck clutch to replace it. I don't know if I'm going to throw the flywheel in though. I like the feeling of the extra weight of the stockie.
The Xtreme Series Dan?
http://www.dezod.com/pd_act_6.cfm
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM
SL Member

Paul,

I'm sure it's a 6 puck from ACT but not solid it is sprung. I'm tempted to go solid with it though. I have seen those springs come loose before. You also remember the goals I had of not taking it over the edge. I want a nice cruising car for the Autobahn. I put a solid in my other car and it's not really enjoyable to drive in traffic. I have been a fan of ACT for a while now never really had any problems with them. I have also tried a few excedy clutches too without hiccups.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM
SL Member

Oh! Paul how much would you say the TRD clutch is good for? I also have a LSD to put in once I get back. You wouldn't by chance have instructions to put a Quaife LSD back together would you? I took it apart before I left for my trip and sent it off for cryo, the Mrs got the box back in pieces. I just thought I would remember how it goes back together but I forget those corkscrews inside can go both ways.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

TRD is good for a bit but i cant imagine it'd be good for more than 330wtq.

also if i may make a suggestion for you brownie. replace the throw out bearing with a new OEM bearing ACT makes damn good clutches but the ToB's dont seem to last long. mine only lasted about 20k miles and Garabaldy's only lasted about 30k miles.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 PM
SL Member

I've never used anything other than OEM ToB's. Old lesson learned long ago. Buddies Nissan ToB went out in the middle of nowhere and I nearly died of thirst waiting for someone to come along route66.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Paul,

I'm sure it's a 6 puck from ACT but not solid it is sprung. I'm tempted to go solid with it though. I have seen those springs come loose before. You also remember the goals I had of not taking it over the edge. I want a nice cruising car for the Autobahn. I put a solid in my other car and it's not really enjoyable to drive in traffic. I have been a fan of ACT for a while now never really had any problems with them. I have also tried a few excedy clutches too without hiccups.
Solid will be harsh on engagement for sure. Definitely not a streetable setup.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh! Paul how much would you say the TRD clutch is good for? I also have a LSD to put in once I get back. You wouldn't by chance have instructions to put a Quaife LSD back together would you? I took it apart before I left for my trip and sent it off for cryo, the Mrs got the box back in pieces. I just thought I would remember how it goes back together but I forget those corkscrews inside can go both ways.
im usin the trd clutch right now. ive got about 300hp and 270 tq and its holdin up well. just to give u an idea. if ur shootin for 320hp, thatll prolly put u around the 280-300tq area, so u may be ok. not 100% sure tho.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Yeah I am not sure I would count the TRD clutch to much more than 275-300 ft/lbs. I think that is going to be plenty generous for it's capabilities.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

guess i was too generous in my guesstimation.

Quick Reply: Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)