Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brownie awesome update but I see no need to apologize your doing a service to your country and having fun at the same time. LOL

Also hopefully you'll do work and put some high-end cars to shame with your 2.4 beast. Watch out for the opel's and volvo's over there I've seen some sleepers that are deadly fast.

Also does the Mrs have a sister by chance luv a woman that doesn't mind getting dirty. LOL
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM
SL Member

Gunnist14 I did put some cars to bed already. I had a DEZOD APR X1 for a good while and I got a very good tune down on it. However, since APR is on backorder they didn't give me a replacement but refunded me instead. Good on APR but I really miss that unit! The APR was very nice once you got it in the zone. Paul really helped out as much as possible with the software too. Once I got everything down tuning was a breeze! I pushed the car really hard for an entire week @ 14 psi w/meth injection. I thought I was gonna pop the sucker. I raced several cars on the autobahn rich peeps take out their exotics on the weekends. Subaru's and Mitsu's were easy pickin's, BMW were too I did lose to a new M3 by a car lenght. Got a wave by from a R8 and ate tail smoke from a nissan GTR. Just driving around people want to race you here. I started to notice my clutch slipping more and more off the line. I have a TRD in place but It won't hold 400 I'm sure. I was maxing out the 550cc injectors probably running 110% duty on some datalogs. I also had a big jet of meth on their 530cc jet. Anyway, my AFR's we looking close to the leaner side at 11.9-12.0 at that much boost. After the week of fun (German holiday) I turned the boost controller off ran it 7.5 until I removed the first kit. I did a comp check and had 185 across the board. APR was great for timing advance and knock control. You could see it on the datalogs (I miss it). Anyway, I was shooting for 320 ish on my new setup but after all this work why not shoot for more?

The wife does have a sister but... well... she's an old battle axe and acts like a high schooler. Nor would she touch an engine or drive a manual. My wife is one of a kind loves the gym loves the cars. She's really the mastermind behind the builds. She has taken most of this engine apart thus far. Rare.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Do it up Dan! Let's see some progress with that HTA 28R
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
SL Member

Well I have an update now! It's so cold here now (Germany) so work has been really slow. I also work crazy hours too! I pulled the entire engine from the car today (finally). I had been disconnecting everything droppin the fluid etc. I got all my gaskets and such for the rebuild and just waiting on the rods in the mail.

I will be posting some pictures of the engine build once I start taking it apart. I still have to send the crank off to DEZOD to be worked. I hope to have the engine and tranny done by the new year. I'm posting what parts I have thus far to make sure I have everything. If anyone can think of anything I need let me know. Also the block will be machined properly and all that. This is my first Toyota build and will be my 4th import build. I lost count of my Domestic builds. I have found the import builds to be a bit more challenging. Why? It seems like everyone treats them like a domestic build which is very different. We don't have pushrods or CAST iron blocks. The whole aluminum head thing use to be a big deal but more shops are now familiar with them.

-DEZOD AEM EMS
-New head w/cams and all (still wondering if I should get it to DEZOD)
-CP pistons
-K1 rods
-ACL bearings all around
-APR Mains
-APR head bolts
-Quaife LSD diff
-TQ engine mounts
-6 puck sprung ACT extreme clutch plate
-ACT HD Pressure plate
-1000cc injectors
-ATI harmonic balancer

If anyone can think of anything I need let me know. Also the block will be machined properly and all that. This is my first Toyota build and will be my 4th import build. I lost count of my Domestic builds. I have found the import builds to be a bit more challenging. Why? It seems like everyone treats them like a domestic build which is very different. We don't have pushrods or CAST iron blocks. I asked a few shops about a bore and was turned away because it was sleeved (too thin?). The whole aluminum head thing use to be a big deal but more shops are now familiar with them.

I'm rebuilding the engine due to wanting more power not because I blew it. Engine was in good condition (25k) when I pulled it compression was good across the board. Once I pull it apart we shall see what kind of real damage it has, as the 2azfe doesn't display all its problems even with good compression.

Overall, I want it done! I want to feel the ALPHA pull and the crazy spool this has to offer. I have crazy dreams about racing around again and its driving me insane!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What happened to your APR X1? Just out of curiosity. Did it fail, or did you just decide to go with the AEM EMS?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 PM
SL Member

Well dawg the APR was a sad story for me. I loved that unit to death! Easy to tune, nice curves, and excellent timing control. However, it started to act-up on me. Worked fine on a normal toyota truck but not on my scion. APR ended up refunding me my money on the unit. I wanted another unit but they discontinued supporting it! I was so sad when that happend. You couldn't really ask for a better unit for drivability and tuneability. In the end AEM EMS is a good unit as well. I have two AEM units running on a Civic and an integra that I built, they are great. The APR unit was just so friendly and fast you really didn't need a dyno to tune it.

Why do you ask dawg?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Yeah...couldn't figure out why the damned thing was mis-firing in cylinder one all the time.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man i love the fact that ur girl gets down and dirty!!! i wish mine was like that. def one of a kind.

anyways, my cousin just got deployed back to germany. thanks to all u do for our country. hats off to u and the rest of the our troops. the build is soundin good, keep it up.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM
SL Member

Default Engine Teardown

So... I got around to taking apart some of my engine today. I will say I was really amazed to find that my engine was almost new inside. I was only boosted for 5k miles and I did push it pretty hard. I ran up to 14 psi without a hitch! As I measured the cylinders I found that they were all within specifications. The cylinder walls didn't have a scratch on them with the exception of the crosshatch patterns. I didn't take pictures of the head but it was just as clean.

It just goes to show that the tune makes all the difference. I will be checking out the crank tomorrow to see if it is within specifications.
Attached Thumbnails Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)-photo-2.jpg   Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)-photo-3.jpg  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

What oil did you use Dan?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
SL Member

Paul I would use a blend. 3 bottles Castrol GTX 10w 40 and usually 1 bottle of Royal Purple 10w 40 or High detergent synthetic. However, I changed my oil every 1000-1500 miles while boosted. The rest of the engine looks great thus far. I will be taking out the pistons and crank hopefully tonight! I will snap some pictures and post them. Crank should be wrapped up and shipped off to Dezod by the end of the week (hopefully!). It is dang cold over here!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 PM
SL Member

I attached some update pics on my first post of the engine parts. I took it to the machine shop on friday now it's a waiting game.

I would like to ask the community about piston ring gaps. I know many posts have suggested different specs but this is a first for myself with CP pistons. I'm not boring the block out as it is well within tolerance. My goals are for 500hp+ on pump gas and alcohol injection. I may play around with nitrous after a break in and a few weeks of driving around. This isn't my first build with an engine but it is a first for a 2AZ-FE. I know Forge pistons tend to expand a good deal. Many like to make sure they even go over the company suggested PTW specs. Is this the case with CP Pistons?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
SL Member

Default The Alpha Continues

Update on the build. Since I live in Germany and there is no descent shops around I've decided to get another tranny. With this tranny I would be putting in a cheap LSD (OBX w/rebuilt washers) and a cheap clutch. I'm doing this because I don't plan on putting the original amount of power to the pavement. Anyway, meanwhile my good tranny will be fully disassembled and sent out for cryo and coating. I'm also trying to see if I can't get a buddy of mine to DG some of these gears namely 3rd and 4th. I will be reserving the built tranny and the ACT clutch combo for some serious power once stateside.

In the meantime I have fully assembled my machined block minus the Valve cover. I also have the cheapo tranny fully assembled and ready to go. I'm waiting for a clear day to slap the engine and tranny together and sliding that sucker into the engine bay. Oh and I almost forgot, I'm waiting on some engine mounts. I don't like the winter months because of the nasty weather and the cold outside makes me feel lazy.

I've attached a picture of the cheapo tranny for viewing pleasures (big deal) I will see if I can snap a few pictures of the engine and post them within the week. Again, I'm lazy and it's cold.
Attached Thumbnails Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)-photo.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
SL Member

Default Alpha Vband Manifold

So... It has been way too long since my last update post. Recently I have sparked up some motivation to finish my car. Well...that and the weather suddenly changed from being negative 40 to positive 60's. I dropped the engine in the car yesterday and just got back my manifold from my fab guy. I decided to share my excitement with you all!! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! Yes this is what you think it is! Some call me paranoid or crazy I like to think of it as total control!
Attached Thumbnails Count down to ALPHA! (UPDATE FINALLY!)-cimg0972.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Quad EGTs and WBO2s. INFO TIME!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:19 PM
t_C
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by browniemxn
... meanwhile my good tranny will be fully disassembled and sent out for cryo and coating. I'm also trying to see if I can't get a buddy of mine to DG some of these gears namely 3rd and 4th.
Out of curiosity what coating after cryo?
Also, what do you mean by DG gears?

I understood that the main benefit of cryo was seen if it was performed before final manufacturing process (i.e.machining, honing, lapping, polishing, etc.).

There's certainly other options in terms of surface finish or hard coating that are more current than cryo used by F1 teams to increase gear performance; to name a few:

http://www.remchem.com/
http://www.ionbond.com/dynasite.cfm?dsmid=84843
http://www.microtekfinishing.com/index.php
http://spaceagecoating.com/ <--not very informative site, email them for info.

BTW...nice manifold mods. What are you using to collect all those signals?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That looks ____ hot man. love that manifold.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM
SL Member

Default Alpha kit

To answer your questions I had the gears cryo treated to relieve stress on the gears and sent the pieces out for a DLC coating. I'm not going to spend anymore time on the transmission though. I want my car back! Well....I want it done so I can start enjoying some cruising and some tracks. I'm going quad band EGT and Wideband because I want total control over my tunes. I will be using DEZOD AEM EMS to obtain my HP goals. People try to tell me that using some other route is better but I think not. This will be my third AEM standalone system my first was in a civic si my second on an integra GSR and now I'm lucky to have one on my Scion TC! I'm a big fan of AEM they have never let me down. If you know how to treat your electronics right they will treat you right. I am also running meth injection on top of my setup. I am working on a two nozzle progressive system which will kick should my EGT's get too hot. I'm still really far from starting the car but that is because I'm waiting on small parts like thermostat, oil cap, mounting bolts and stainless brake lines.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by browniemxn
To answer your questions I had the gears cryo treated to relieve stress on the gears and sent the pieces out for a DLC coating. I'm not going to spend anymore time on the transmission though. I want my car back! Well....I want it done so I can start enjoying some cruising and some tracks. I'm going quad band EGT and Wideband because I want total control over my tunes. I will be using DEZOD AEM EMS to obtain my HP goals. People try to tell me that using some other route is better but I think not. This will be my third AEM standalone system my first was in a civic si my second on an integra GSR and now I'm lucky to have one on my Scion TC! I'm a big fan of AEM they have never let me down. If you know how to treat your electronics right they will treat you right. I am also running meth injection on top of my setup. I am working on a two nozzle progressive system which will kick should my EGT's get too hot. I'm still really far from starting the car but that is because I'm waiting on small parts like thermostat, oil cap, mounting bolts and stainless brake lines.
You're a clever one Dan. That EMS will tie in all of your needs easily.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:46 AM
SL Member

Anyone else have any suggestions on anything else I could do for my car? I posted an update to my build. Car's payed off and I'm just waiting on some investment to kickback on my enjoyment sensors. I've gotten lazy on this project and need some motivation to keep going!