Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Custom Supercharger Shafts [Pics of damaged shaft inside!]

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Default Custom Supercharger Shafts [Pics of damaged shaft inside!]

Decided to make an new post for this because other post was getting cluttered.

We now have 2 thousand dollar paperweights. What ever the case is Vortec, TRD, and PSE Superchargers are all a bunch of DBAGS. But I did find out that PSE Superchargers was hired to figure out the problem with the Scion TC supercharger.I also found out some interesting info talking to Ed Martinez the founder of PSE Superchargers (got the number from Bob Garner Supervisor of TRD). After talking to him and using my superb speaking skills, it slipped out of his mouth that the shafts of the TRD Scion TC superchargers (Mostly the 06) were not hardened correctly from the factory. So my friends this is F*ed up. No matter what bearings you use the original shaft will always spin inside the bearings because the metal is too soft. Gompka and I will soon be producing our own custom shafts. Most likely in partnership with kikcaffine (bearing dude) we will be making more than a couple for sale with sweet bearings from kikcaffine. I will get the first two made this coming week and put it in asap for testing. FINALLY an option B. Please call Bob Garner from TRD and tell him what you think of this supercharger haha. I have been calling everyday for the past month.

Our shafts will be full shafts, not hollow pipes, and will be fully hardened at a machine shop that makes parts for Boeing. We will make these as low cost to you as possible but keep in mind they want over $500 at PSE to "diagnose" your supercharger and give you the same ____ty shaft as you had before.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so were these problems with the 06 ever fixed with the 07+ superchargers that came out with the higher price tags? most of the supercharger problems i've seen were from the 06 below.....
Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Just wanted to add that its probably NOT a good idea to run without the heat shield. It does a lot to keep the shaft/bearings cooler. You can run header but they have to fit inside the heat shield or they have to be heat wrapped crazy.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:28 PM

The new superchargers are prices higher just because they can be, the 06 was $3000 before. The 06 superchargers had a bad batch of shafts.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are pictures of my supercharger shaft for anyone who has taken it apart or will and has similar problems.

The gap you see there shouldn't be there, the bearings are supposed to be hydraulically pressed on and never move

The bearings slide on and off easily using just my hands!

The bearings are still fine, i took off the rubber cover and there is still grease inside and they spin pretty freely. The lip you see on the bearings was caused my the ring on the shaft as it was spinning, other than that bearings are not the cause of the problem from what I can see here

Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice info, thanks for posting, please keep us updated....
Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what mine looks like this should be a issue that toyota/scion/trd should take car of and recall all 05/06 s/c systems that is what a good car company would do we as the buyer should not be stuck to fix toyota/scion/trd mistakes
Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Toyota doesnt care, nor does scion. I bet there wont be any more superchargers as an addition to new toyota vehicles.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by streettimetc
thats what mine looks like this should be a issue that toyota/scion/trd should take car of and recall all 05/06 s/c systems that is what a good car company would do we as the buyer should not be stuck to fix toyota/scion/trd mistakes
They should ATLEAST offer us replacement parts. Hopefully, if all goes well kik will supply bearings, i will supply the shaft, the blower parts you can get from vortech if you tell them you have their v5 blower. Those are almost all of the major parts that can possibly break.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok I have setup a meeting with the shop doing the shafts on friday, we will double check all the measurements and figure things out about what material will be used on the shafts. Hopefully I will have the first 3 shafts done on Saturday, then i will test it out on my car asap and let you guys know. So streettimetc just wait a little longer and you will be able to be up and running again. I won't know a price until friday or Saturday so no definitive numbers yet.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Good to see someone is finally taking care of these problems..good job guys.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, please keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hope it all goes good if so i'll be needing one asap this is great mabe have my car back on the road before the end of the year
Old 12-05-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I made a new post with a new update, please check it out asap as I need to make a decision by sunday or be foreced to wait another week.

link https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...881125#3881125
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM
SL Member

You guys may also want to look into doing a bit of hardness testing on both shafts to see exactly how much stronger the new ones will be.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bennyboopy
You guys may also want to look into doing a bit of hardness testing on both shafts to see exactly how much stronger the new ones will be.
The stock shaft was tested for hardness today and althought it was a little low they told me it should have held up. So the main problems here that attribute to the bearing/shaft failure is that the shaft is too small for the bearings it is a slide-on fit rather than press on like it should be, that explains why the shaft spun inside the bearings. Also it isn't balanced which isn't good either. The new shaft will be somewhat harder yes, but that turned out not to be a major problem anyway. So think of it as a bonus. I wasn't able to get a hold of the owner today again to get a price so i'll shot for tomarrow morning.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
Originally Posted by bennyboopy
The stock shaft was tested for hardness today and althought it was a little low they told me it should have held up. So the main problems here that attribute to the bearing/shaft failure is that the shaft is too small for the bearings it is a slide-on fit rather than press on like it should be, that explains why the shaft spun inside the bearings. Also it isn't balanced which isn't good either. The new shaft will be somewhat harder yes, but that turned out not to be a major problem anyway. So think of it as a bonus. I wasn't able to get a hold of the owner today again to get a price so i'll shot for tomarrow morning.
Are you absoluetely sure it's supposed to be a press-on fit? I understand about the unbalancing - it'll totally throw off the balance of the whole supercharger because of harmonic oscillation.

Any word from the machine shop?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

snow storm = delay delay
Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More delays, with the bad weather in the Midwest and the Holidays. I am guaranteed to get the shaft in my hands this Friday. Details/pics will follow.