Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Cutout valves....on a turbo (Videos) NEW

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you ever get a dyno? Im looking into buying an electronic cutout myself sometime this week. Also, did you buy an aftermarket s-pipe or is it hooked up to the stock pipe?

thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I cant believe I missed this thread!!! MY brother is having his Qtec installed tomorrow morning!!! I thought we might be the first to post a vid. Sounds amazing cant wait to see the dyno!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
I cant believe I missed this thread!!! MY brother is having his Qtec installed tomorrow morning!!! I thought we might be the first to post a vid. Sounds amazing cant wait to see the dyno!
Let us know if he feels any significant gains. My car will be in the shop this week and would like to order this if its worth it, if not Im going to do a 3" turboback.
Will he do a dyno tomorrow as well?
thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im getting my installed tomarrow. My friend has it on his srt-4 and he dyno it, he got 24whp gain. It sounds in better in person. You can hear the turbo real loud
Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont think so. Its so frickin cold out. Prolly going to wait till it warms up a bit.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'll still have my 2.5 inch exhaust so, we can run them and see if it really makes a difference on the road. Right now we stay dead even! should be fun.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right now, Im leaning more towards the cutout, simply because with a full exhaust I'll be getting pulled over often. So, if I can get similar gains with the cutout, and be able to switch it open when I need it and keep it closed and silent when I dont, this would be much better.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah thats what we are thinking too. Bobby is going to be the true test and if it has some nice gains I'll have one real soon.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good!

I think I will go ahead and order this tomorrow.
Any idea if the cutout goes directly between the s-pipe and midpipe?
Do you happen to know what the stock piping size is? My understanding is that its 2.25". Therefore I'll need to get a cutout of that size correct?

thanks for the help.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called turbonetics about a 3" exhaust and they told me not to. They sayed a 3" will make the oil to hot because the exhaust piping will me closer to the oil pan. They sayed it can possibly cook the oil. so thats why im doing the qtp cutout
Old 01-29-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats interesting..thanks for posting that information.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No promblem I would hate to see a turbo tc blow, espically if I could possibly provent it!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

intresting, watching
Old 01-29-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bobstc
I called turbonetics about a 3" exhaust and they told me not to. They sayed a 3" will make the oil to hot because the exhaust piping will me closer to the oil pan. They sayed it can possibly cook the oil. so thats why im doing the qtp cutout

Yes I've heard the same thing. This was using a 3inch s-pipe as well. A 3 inch midpipe back shoul dbe ok as far as heat goes.

We have very little room to make a 3inch s-pipe fit without"cooking" the oil. Too bad too cause I bet a 3inch s-pipe would free up some hp.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCrew_R
Sounds good!

I think I will go ahead and order this tomorrow.
Any idea if the cutout goes directly between the s-pipe and midpipe?
Do you happen to know what the stock piping size is? My understanding is that its 2.25". Therefore I'll need to get a cutout of that size correct?

thanks for the help.
Is anyone able to answer this for me?
thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I would put the cutout right after the s-pipe. The midpipe has a small bend in it right after the s-pipe then goes straight back. I would put it right where it starts to straighten out.

As far as the piping size I'm not sure. I could measure my stock exhaust at get back to you on that.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would put the cutout right after the s-pipe. The midpipe has a small bend in it right after the s-pipe then goes straight back. I would put it right where it starts to straighten out.

As far as the piping size I'm not sure. I could measure my stock exhaust at get back to you on that.
I would really appreciate that. I need to order this today before I drop the car off at the shop later today. thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Yes I've heard the same thing. This was using a 3inch s-pipe as well. A 3 inch midpipe back shoul dbe ok as far as heat goes.

We have very little room to make a 3inch s-pipe fit without"cooking" the oil. Too bad too cause I bet a 3inch s-pipe would free up some hp.

So, why come you can't make a heat shield for the Oil pan to solve that issue IF that was the case?

PS....I can't see the videos, all I can do is hear it. Who still uses putfile for videos anyway. YouTube FTW!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

So, why come you can't make a heat shield for the Oil pan to solve that issue IF that was the case?

PS....I can't see the videos, all I can do is hear it. Who still uses putfile for videos anyway. YouTube FTW!
I love youtube, only because of YOUR videos!! Once my car is out from the shop this week, Ill make sure to post some myself!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCrew_R
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

I love youtube, only because of YOUR videos!! Once my car is out from the shop this week, Ill make sure to post some myself!
Looking forward to it. I can honestly say I can drift now too. Of course no where near some others, but I can actually do a drift. I've been practicing, and just need to get it on camera.

Quick Reply: Cutout valves....on a turbo (Videos) NEW