Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Daily Drivers - Let's hear your story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

<<<whishes he had 2,000 more for boost.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have been boosted with the dezod kit for a few months now the car runs very strong, it is my Daily driver and i beat the crap out of it every chance i get, the car runs like a champ. i cant wait to see how it runs in the snow. im running about 8.0-8.5 psi
Old 12-11-2006, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car was fun/fine in the winter. The black-ice was a different story. I had to replace a wheel bearing and an entire hub assy on the front right because the road had frozen over. I SLOWLY slid down a hill until the car went off the road into a little ditch. Damn new years parties lol.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the greddy turbo kit had it for about 2 month now. running 8.5 psi with blue emanage using the greddy pretuned base map but tweak it a little since im using the 550cc injectors. Haven't had any major problems and it is pulling some really nice numbers. I drive it hard sometimes when i have idoits trying to rev at me. I just downshift and speed up and see them trying to play catch up
Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not that anyone wants to hear from a SC boosted guy here, but I have been boosted for eight months now. Had my SC replaced (bearing failure from bad install) about one month ago. (I wanted to put a boost guage in, but am a bit concerned that TRD/Toyota would state that my boost guage caused some kind of problem... Sad to say. The kit should have come with one!)

I let the car warm up for at least 2 minutes, or until the temp gauge moves accross the first line. Then I drive it gently until it is fully warmed up.

I drive from PA to the Meadowlands (NJ) everyday. Fun backroads to 78 to NJ Turnpike to the office. It is about 80 miles each way. Since I do not have a boost guage installed, and have a sock SC setup, I have to assume that I am running about 5psi... when I get on it. (Frankly I do not think that the TRD SC pushes 7psi as they say it is supposed to.) And at 5am in the morning, I have an oppportunity to get on it every now and again... I mean just getting onto 78 can be fun!

My mpg is a very nice 27-30. It has been as low as 26.4 when I am really getting on it. I would gladly sacrifice a couple of mpg for a stage 1 SC kit if anyone from TRD is reading this! (There is a market for them... for sure!)
Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been boosted by turbonetics for almost 10 months now... I have had issues ranging from ripping vac lines to huge amounts of smoke bellowing out of my car as I drive. I have had to learn by experiance how to fix these issues that came up... I drive my car not only daily but from CT to MA and CT to VT somewhat frequently (i have put 13k on the setup) and the kit seems to be holding up nicely. The only issue i really have had was the cracked s pipe and bolts falling off of my turbo where its held onto the manifold (causing some great smells in the cabin). I am running 250 whp at 10 psi and really would like to do more. We will see what happens in the future with my car.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tip to all: BUY A BEATER
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
This thread turned out to be great so far guys! I'm glad we're all finally getting along haha. I did mean "daily driver" not dailing, so thank you Dave for changing that for me. I typed this when I just woke up and rushed for work.

Yes the black box tunes a different aspect of the fuel ratios. Emanage and Unichip work in junction with the black-box.

Keep 'em coming guys. This thread is shaping up well.

What, I get no thanks for pointing it out... Where is the Love Joe....Where is the Love!!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look at the time i repsonded to that haha! The love is there holmes... my brain wasn't.

But yes thanks to all.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
My tip to all: BUY A BEATER

AMEN to that! Getting one in a few days for $600 bucks.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Look at the time i repsonded to that haha! The love is there holmes... my brain wasn't.

But yes thanks to all.

lol..np..
Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i wish i had a second car about now...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do what I did...

I bought a Ford Explorer sport. It's a 2dr with leather and 4 wheel drive so I dont mind driving it. It's set up to tow so when I get my trailer in the spring I'm all set. Kinda the best of both worlds. Plus sometimes it's just nice to own a truck for certain things.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Explorer is a prime choice so is a late model Blazer due to low re-sale values.

ON Topic:

What octane are you guys running. We can only get 91 here. I just want to make sure 91 isnt an issue with Daily drivers.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I run 91 octane on 10-11.5psi. I've spiked at 12 a couple times on the highway but I have a Greddy MAP sensor so when it hits that high it pulls a little more timing so I don't blow up
Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

93 octane here boys. I can get 101 octane too. I want to try some 101. Will I have to retune if I get brave and put some 101 in there for a change?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I run 91 octane on 10-11.5psi. I've spiked at 12 a couple times on the highway but I have a Greddy MAP sensor so when it hits that high it pulls a little more timing so I don't blow up

you still on stock engine like us?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No you will not HAVE to re-tune. It will yeild more power if you do, but then when you switch back to lower octane you could damage your motor, unless you retune again.

As for my motor... Yes I'm on the stock engine like everyone else. I've been boost for 1 year and 1 month now. The same motor that's been put through multiple tunes, 2 different turbos, climates from -15 (NH) to 120 degrees (AZ) with octane being 93 in NH and 91 here in AZ. The motor still runs great. As a matter of fact, I made a quick vid the other night of me taking it from 70 to 127 in a matter of seconds lol.

The race engine goes in either Jan of Feb depending on when it's done. The onyl reason for the switch is my quest for more power, and more reliable power for when I start road racing this year.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Same here, want bigger #'s so eventually will get a built motor. I'm going to try the 101 though, and see how that feels.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hi, my name is Mandy, and I've been boosted 6 months.... lol

But for real... I have! I have the Dezod kit on my auto tC. I am currently running about 10 psi. I use Royal Purple oil also (my bf is sponsored by them, so it's convenient, lol) and make sure that I change the oil frequently. I also do a minor inspection of everything about every week, just to make sure nothing about to come loose, or leaking etc.

I drive my car about 100 miles a day, plus have taken it on a few road trips in the 6 months it's been boosted. The longest trip was over 2000 miles. It drives great! I have had a couple small problems here and there... but it's just stuff that happens once you start fixing up your engine!

I drive pretty conservatively, but on long stretches of road, I've been known to see what she can do!

Quick Reply: Daily Drivers - Let's hear your story...