Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Day at the Dyno :( - *SLIP Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Day at the Dyno :( - *SLIP Pics*

Hey guys,

I took a trip to my local dyno shop. They use a Dyno Dynamics Load Bearing Dyno.

I have a 2006 A/T Scion tC with the Turbonetics Kit @ 8PSI
I have the Megan Racing S-Pipe and the Dezod Turbo Exhaust.

I feel kinda disappointed after seeing the numbers, I was expecting more to say the least.

My peak was on the 2nd run @ 232WHP & 213TQ
First Run was 220WHP & 202TQ

As well after the 2nd run I started getting a lot of smoke out of my exhaust... I'm not sure if this was already on it way to doing this or if the fact they had no fan running on the front of my car... But after I left there I am getting quite a bit of blue/gray smoke as if I blew a seal again, This turbo only has about 2k miles on it after I just replaced it for a blown seal and loose Turbine...

Check out my Dyno slips below, I have attached the 1st/2nd run and the Graph of the 2nd run. The text slips have the RPM/Boost/AFR's

Keep in mind I am still running on the Base Turbonetics UniChip Tune and I am waiting on the Dezod Black Box.

I am open to criticism and recommendations. Thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The turbonetics is a milder kit. And if you running base tune, I'm assuming the shop just ran the dyno and did not tune it. Then those numbers are pretty much spot on for that kit on the base tune. imo.
Plus, it's an automatic. Looks good to me.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

however, with the few modifications I have done to the exhaust and all would make me expect to be a little more that 232, especially when people are getting like 250-275 out of this kit.

I mean wasn't it turbonetics that installed it on a bone stock car and got 244WHP and 262TQ. I mean I'm sure it was a manual, but that is a bone stock car with no exhaust upgrades.

I guess I was expecting something in between 250-275. I hope that a Tune and the Black Box will help me achieve that in the near future.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I think turbonetcis numbers were a little inflated.
I've read some posts where others were really disapointed in the TB kit cause they couldn't get it to what they claimed.
TurboKits.com says +100hp for that kit, which would bring it to 245, and your not far from that. A good tune shoudl get you a good 20hp easy. It's all about the tune.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well one thing you have to consider is there are different types of dynos and they all give different numbers. So it could be off a little from what they had. Also, from what I've been told, us A/T guys lose more hp b/c of the torque converter and ect. M/T may lose I think someone said like 10hp yet A/T can lose up to 30hp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that part but its been a long time since I've looked them up but I think that's what I remember being told. So like Mr. Meaty said, I think your right in the ballpark for the kit Just get a good tune and you'd probably be set.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your kit is spot on for the advertised claim of +100 horsepower.

You're on a real dyno, not some pos dynojet...not to mention running on a safety base map, add in an automatic trans for the hat trick.

Get it tuned right and troubleshoot the blue smoke and you'll run higher. 230 for an untuned, auto, fwd na->turbo car on a dyno dynamics is pretty good considering the extenuating circumstances.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I'm close to 200hp with just bolt-ons.... on spray close to 275.... I'm waiting to track it.

Pulley
MMW Headers
MMW S-Pipe
Custom Exhaust
Injen CAI
Nytrex System 50 shot

Need traction.

I wish I could afford clutch, flywheel, and LSD.

How much does it normally cost to dyno. I'd love to get some accurate numbers.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SickleCell
I think I'm close to 200hp with just bolt-ons.... on spray close to 275.... I'm waiting to track it.

Pulley
MMW Headers
MMW S-Pipe
Custom Exhaust
Injen CAI
Nytrex System 50 shot

Need traction.

unfortunatly, with your mods and not spraying you are probably looking at closer to 165whp. with the spray maybe 210-215.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, yeah...with sime intake, headers, exhaust and pullys getting 200 hp? lol, also, a 50 shot of nitrous is supposed add...50 hp! anyway, if you really want to get those hp numbers, try putting some stickers on your tc, that should do it. maybe even a vtech badge!
Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
lol, yeah...with sime intake, headers, exhaust and pullys getting 200 hp? lol, also, a 50 shot of nitrous is supposed add...50 hp! anyway, if you really want to get those hp numbers, try putting some stickers on your tc, that should do it. maybe even a vtech badge!
My Turbonetics Sticker added 20 Horsepower
Old 05-27-2007, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SickleCell

Pulley
MMW Headers
MMW S-Pipe
Custom Exhaust
Injen CAI
Nytrex System 50 shot

Need traction.

Yeah, your not doing 200. tCPete has all that plus some work on his internals and he's not quite at 200 yet.

But to answer your question, it's usually anywere from $50 to $90 for a few pulls on the dyno...at least around here.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah for cost, expect $75-$100 for 3 pulls wit a/f ratios.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well.... I guess I was asking for a flaming on here since I can't post dyno sheets nor can I post track slips. I will get down there soon enough. I honestly think that it would take more than 215hp to break the tires loose (on stock size tires, but BF goodrich sport tires with only 2,000miles on the fronts) in 3rd gear. But like I said before, I will get some documentation up here for ya in the near future.

Thanks to those who were able to answer my question about the dyno.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our engines have so much movement, and we get so much wheel hop that, without an engine damper, i think I could break the wheels free with anything but drag slicks. Maybe not in 3rd. But in any event,

Anyway, get the dyno sheets and prove us wrong. That would be the best thing to do.
lookin forward to it.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do have a damper and it is adjusted pretty well. I'm working on saving up to make a dyno run. I will probably be able to get to the track before I will dyno it though. I get a lot of flak from the turbo guys anyway because of the nitrous (poor man's supercharger).

I know there are slight variances in vehicles with power. After I lowered it and took out the air filter from the stock intake box, I raced (at the track) some of the local guys with I/H/E and pulley. I was able to beat them all. I know that it comes down to the driver in some cases, but this is my first manual transmission and I only had the car for 3 months prior to that night. I even won $50 for being the fastest N/A of the scion group that night.

I don't see a point in trying to 'prove' you wrong. I will show documentation of my progress as time goes on, but I don't want you guys to be thinking that I am trying to show you up.... because that is not my intention. This car is my daily driver and I like the fact that I can drive 30mpg on my 80 mile interstate round trip for work. I also like that I can increase the power at the flick of a switch. I'm interested in tuning my car and doing something different than a lot of the guys in my area are doing with their tC's. A lot of the guys in my area are more interested in making their car show cars. I started to put my focus on performance. I love the tC, and that is why I bought it. Money wasn't an issue at the time that I purchased it. I never liked the idea of putting a turbo in my tC... I would consider it in some other cars though. I also do appreciate the different turbo companies that are out there building these products.

If I were to do a turbo system I would do the STS rear mounted turbo. I like the uniqueness of this set up. I'm not sure of the pros and cons of it yet, but I do like it. Here are some pics:

Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, no problem. More power to you. I was going the same route withe the NA. But then when I started adding stuff up, wich engine work and all, and realizeing that with $3G of mods, I MIGHT hit 200hp, I decided to boost. I'm deffintatley not a fan of nitrouse. But to each his own. Good luck with the setup. I'm sure it will work great for you, as it seems like it already has. I just don't want you to be dissapointed when your numbers go back. But like rhytmnsmoke always says, the numbers that matter aren't on dynos, their on timesheets!
Old 05-27-2007, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My nitrous kit didn't cost me anything. A local friend of mine who dealt Nytrex Kits sponsored me with a kit. He installed it along with a tech from Nytrex. I can't complain about being given a $650 kit. All my other stuff was obtained for very low prices due to 'connections.' Over all, I have spent $640 on all the performance stuff on my car. I can't complain about that.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good for you. wish i had connections on parts. now get it dynoed!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member

you are you lucky that you got a hook up on that Nytrex kit
Old 05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They have really good quality kits, and I know they can be pricey, but you get what you pay for. Plus the solenoids have a lifetime warranty. They are also really tough too. We thought we fried one, but after the smoke cleared due to a "whoops" in the wiring.... it still worked perfectly.

I can get a really good deal on the standard wet kit right now. I have a group by going on, but not all purchases have to be made at the same time. PM me for the price. The price is $60 lower than the already discounted price.

Quick Reply: Day at the Dyno :( - *SLIP Pics*