Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Day at the Dyno in Hawaii...*vids inside*

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

haha actually I said "holy ____, your torque is f******* sick.. Haaha we laughed at that a couple times!
Old 02-25-2008 | 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I thought you only use 4th gear for dyno pulls because it's the closest to a 1:1 ratio? why the pulls in 3rd?
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I like this thread a lot. Not many get made with 3 different cars, turbo kits, and all within a .5 PSI of boost difference between the 3 (which .5 really means nothing).

You numbers are all within the same HP range (with the exception of the custom kit making the brunt of the TQ figures in the group), so neither numbers are making/breaking the other cars in the line up.

What I find the most interesting off all 3 is the actually TQ/HP curves produced on the dyno. That's some good clean comparisons of where each kit made it's power (on that car that is). Good job guys...
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

so this is the thread I missed... so how hot is it there in hawaii?
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shouldn't you be at work Travis? You gots to be savin' up for that new turbo setup. Come on now
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

It's interesting looking at where the peak tQ figure is reached.

- Custom kit hits full tQ by 4k rpm's
- Dezod S1 kit hitting full tQ by 4300 rpm's
- Turbo Toyota kit hitting full tQ by 4700 rpm's.

What turbine is Chris(Lambi4Life) using. Seems to spool good and still have good pull up top.
Old 02-25-2008 | 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clayton1
Shouldn't you be at work Travis? You gots to be savin' up for that new turbo setup. Come on now

I am at work fool! LOL....I'm about to go to lunch though in the next 15 mins, so hit me up on the cell.
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:08 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Sato! How's it been man? You have a VERY old S1 kit with the Turbonetics turbo right?
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yes paul he was was of the originiginal customers! and travis thanks for the comments! i need a better tune considering i should be around the 300whp area at 8 psi on todds kjit.. but im not too disappointed seeing as i didnt install the pressure sensor and have 19'' rims! we shall se what happens when i install the pressure sensor, then get some lighter smaller rims and then fix my tune! ill keep you all posted in the progress of all this stuff! thanks for looking guys!
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, t'netics turbo. paul, can you give me the trim and stage? chris also has a t3/t4 but I'm unsure of the trim and stage as well.

it was about 82 degrees at the dyno btw.
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
yes paul he was was of the originiginal customers! and travis thanks for the comments! i need a better tune considering i should be around the 300whp area at 8 psi on todds kjit.. but im not too disappointed seeing as i didnt install the pressure sensor and have 19'' rims! we shall se what happens when i install the pressure sensor, then get some lighter smaller rims and then fix my tune! ill keep you all posted in the progress of all this stuff! thanks for looking guys!

Yeah, I can see you benefiting from a once over with the tune, as you are taking a substantial hit in hp from 5300-5800 rpm, very large dip in power there.

Usually see dyno threads where people are all goggly googgaly over the peak whp #. Seeing as how all three are respectfully making generally the same HP, if stuck side by side in a race (taking out driver error here), it's going to come down to where/when the car makes it's power to see which one is the fastest (Chris' car has an advantage in tQ, but you get the point).

Wish there were more dyno threads like this, vs the "Look how much power I can make...yaaah!"
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah i feel you travis, we arent really about all that here (i mean between us three) but yeah i asked the guy to put all three of our best runs on one so we could compare and see exactly where it is we all stand and i agree with the race minus driver error. we are all around the same spot.. I NEED A TUNE!! haha but there are zero tuners in hawaii! i think todd is coming soon!!

oh and also im running the AEM truboost and all i did was up the duty cycle to hit 8psi and i havent messed with the "wastegate crank setting" yet.. do you know if adjusting this will make a differnece? thanks trav.
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I would like to know the differences between the Turbonetics turbine on the Dezod S1 kit and Chris. In Chris sig:

Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbo, Custom Tubular Turbo Manifold
He is running a tubular manifold. Interesting that even with the tubular mani, he is hitting peak tQ the fastest of the 3 charts.
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by satoman44
yup, t'netics turbo. paul, can you give me the trim and stage? chris also has a t3/t4 but I'm unsure of the trim and stage as well.

it was about 82 degrees at the dyno btw.
Specs have been changed, but the original turbos where a T3/T04 B Comp Housing, with a Stage 2 .48 A/R turbine and it was a Super S trim if I recall.
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I would like to know the differences between the Turbonetics turbine on the Dezod S1 kit and Chris. In Chris sig:

He is running a tubular manifold. Interesting that even with the tubular mani, he is hitting peak tQ the fastest of the 3 charts.
But, if he has a small turbine wheel that will do it. Also, his TQ also falls off the quickest too. He has significantly less TQ up top than the rest though.
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

But, if he has a small turbine wheel that will do it. Also, his TQ also falls off the quickest too. He has significantly less TQ up top than the rest though.

Yeah, that's why I asked for the specs on the turbine, as he is running a turbonetics turbine also. From my understanding (when racing) tQ is not going to matter as much when the car is up to speed. HP is going to take over in the top end range. tQ down low gets the car up and going. He has less of a linear effect than the other two kits (similar in the way my car hits it's power band....down low). A classic case of a "Peaky" turbo setup vs a "Linear" turbo setup. I've always been partial to the early "peaky" turbo when it comes to street performance.
Old 02-25-2008 | 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

those #s sound good I see that BuddasTC 5 Spd 252 WHP 270 Ft/Lbs 8.5 PSI Dezod thats just another dyno sheet that I see that matchs good.
Old 02-25-2008 | 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Day at the Dyno in Hawaii...*vids inside*

Originally Posted by satoman44
Here is all three of our best runs on one graph. Chris(Lambi4Life) is in blue, I am in red, and Brandon(java09) is in green. Chris has a custom kit at 9 psi, Brandon has TurboToyotas at 8 psi, and I have a Dezod S1 at 8.5 psi.

Also, his TQ also falls off the quickest too. He has significantly less TQ up top than the rest though.

Looking at the chart again Paul, you are mixing the lines up, cause he does not make less tQ than the other kits. He is still making more tQ than the other two tQ lines even as it approaches redline. The Dezod kit almost mimics the Custom kit's tQ line, but the highest tQ number was reached 300rpms later with the Dezod kit. The TT's tQ line is more linear, however, it's making less tQ overall, and the Custom kit's tQ line is not dropping as fast that it would dip below the Dezod's tQ at redline, or the TT's tQ line at redline.
Old 02-25-2008 | 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

At ABSOLUTE redline, you don't know what it's doing, as his line stops at 6200 rpm. While the other two go all the way till 6300 and 6400 rpm. Given thats only 100 and 200 rpm difference, and we don't know what the custom kits tQ line would have looked like had they stayed in the gas till 63/6400 rpm, its not worth mentioning, so the only way to compare would be to take the snap shot at 6200rpm. And looking at that moment, the Custom kit (using a Turbonetics turbine as well)....is only probably about 5-10wtq less than the TT's tQ line. The difference between the tQ lines at redline in the custom Turbonetics turbine and the one used in this Dezod S1 are the same or close enough that it's not worth mentioning.
Old 02-25-2008 | 08:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Yeah, that's why I asked for the specs on the turbine, as he is running a turbonetics turbine also. From my understanding (when racing) tQ is not going to matter as much when the car is up to speed. HP is going to take over in the top end range. tQ down low gets the car up and going. He has less of a linear effect than the other two kits (similar in the way my car hits it's power band....down low). A classic case of a "Peaky" turbo setup vs a "Linear" turbo setup. I've always been partial to the early "peaky" turbo when it comes to street performance.
You know that there is no such thing as HP right?

Quick Reply: Day at the Dyno in Hawaii...*vids inside*