Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

DIY TRD Supercharger Blower Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012 | 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good note, the bearings I received only had a rolled edge on one side so it was pretty obvious but this is something important to note. I will see if I can dig out an old bearing to take a picture of this for future reference.
Old 02-05-2012 | 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of the extra bearings I have they don't have the same race setup as the ones that come from that site. I will add the note on the install part, if you look at the bearing the race is angled so that the inward force the case and spring washers apply pusht the bearing together rather than apart. If you ran them like that for a short time you should be fine.
Old 02-29-2012 | 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey AZGuy, nice write up. How did you take out the larger gear in the blower. I'm having a hard time taking it out?
Old 02-29-2012 | 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by RS2Blitz
Hey AZGuy, nice write up. How did you take out the larger gear in the blower. I'm having a hard time taking it out?

Are you talking about the big bearings or the two shafts with gears on them? Because the the gears don't come off the shafts.

When you are on the step where you are taking off the impeller, if you keep tapping on that shaft with a screw driver both shafts will fall out. Then all you have to do is take off the bearing and put the new ones on.
Old 03-01-2012 | 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by T3D5TC
Are you talking about the big bearings or the two shafts with gears on them? Because the the gears don't come off the shafts.

When you are on the step where you are taking off the impeller, if you keep tapping on that shaft with a screw driver both shafts will fall out. Then all you have to do is take off the bearing and put the new ones on.
Yeah, only one of my shaft came out. The one holding the smaller gear. The shaft holding the larger gear wont come out.
Old 03-01-2012 | 04:30 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah, only one of my shaft came out. The one holding the smaller gear. The shaft holding the larger gear wont come out.

Not really sure how that could of happened, cuz the way the two gears are lined up should have made them both fall out. Can you post a picture to help me to brain storm some idea for you, cuz right now I'm at a lost how to get the bigger shaft out without damaging it. Right now all I can think of is if you could heat up the outer casing it might expand it enough for you that it might just pull out, but make sure you are careful with it.
Old 03-01-2012 | 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the requested picture. The outer ring of the small bearing is still stuck in the dish as well.
Attached Thumbnails DIY TRD Supercharger Blower Rebuild-charger.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012 | 01:23 AM
5 Year Member

Here is the requested picture. The outer ring of the small bearing is still stuck in the dish as well.

For the stuck small bearing I think you should be able to flip it over and slowly hit it out working it side to side, but that big shaft looks like it doesn't want to come out. On the big shaft at the end of it has a screw in point if I remember right, if you can find a long blot that fits it and drill a hole in a 2x4, then put the bolt through the 2x4 and supend it like you did for the smaller shaft. Then slowly hammer on the housing (I would use a small peice of wood over the housing not to damage it while you hit it with a hammer) going from side to side that might get it free. But you will have to be careful not to strip the threads or damage anything. Have you tried heating up the housing from the other side yet? Cuz I do think that might work. Also you might want to try spraying a lot of liquid wrench on both parts to see if that will help to loosen them up.

Thats really all I can think of for now, wish you luck and remember to take your time and be careful
Old 03-02-2012 | 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am doing a full rebuild as of right now and I had this problem too. But all over the place haha mine were stuck on the rod. so I had to use screw drivers and just push em out. Also I had the big one stuck like you had in yours.

This is what i used to remove it
Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  10.9 KB
Old 03-02-2012 | 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try those techniques this weekend and get back to you guys to see if it worked or not.
Old 03-02-2012 | 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dilirious
I am doing a full rebuild as of right now and I had this problem too. But all over the place haha mine were stuck on the rod. so I had to use screw drivers and just push em out. Also I had the big one stuck like you had in yours.

This is what i used to remove it
Just so I'm understanding you correctly. You used this tool to remove the large gear and shaft or the stuck bearings?
Old 03-02-2012 | 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That tool grabs behind the bearing race, if you are still having issues you might try to stick your assembly in a freezer for a bit then heat the housing around the bearing race and use a pry bar on the gear. The idea is not to use a ton of force. This happens sometimes with all bearings, just have to apply bearing pulling techniques of which cold and heat work best for me usually.
Old 03-03-2012 | 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the assist everyone. Unfortunately I was still unable to get the bearing race or large gear shaft out. They are really stuck in there. I dropped it off at a machine shop to see what they could do. Hopefully they don't ruin it.
Old 03-07-2012 | 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AZguy have you upgraded your s/c shaft? Would u recommend doing it or just swaping out the old bearing w/ new ones?
Old 03-07-2012 | 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did upgrade my shaft because I knew I would be spinning mine faster than stock. I had actually started to design my own shaft but after talking with Gompka he sold me on the design work he had done so I just ordered from him to support his service.

Because of the variability in the quality of balance of your stock shaft I would recommend upgrading it but you could get by with just normal bearing maintenance.
Old 03-08-2012 | 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok thanks on ur input.
Old 03-09-2012 | 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do the new bearings and shaft need to be broken in before hard usage?
Old 03-09-2012 | 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do the new bearings and shaft need to be broken in before hard usage?
The only thing I would be careful of is never run it hard when cold, other than that there should be no need to break them in.
Old 03-10-2012 | 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool thanks. One more thing, would RTV be a good substitute for the blower o-ring housing? Mine was destroyed and I don't know where to get a replacement.
Old 03-11-2012 | 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool thanks. One more thing, would RTV be a good substitute for the blower o-ring housing? Mine was destroyed and I don't know where to get a replacement.
That is what I use on mine, just be careful do not get carried away with it and have it ooze internally.