Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

DIY Turbo Guys...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY Turbo Guys...

I can't decided on what turbo I'm going to go with....I def want to use a T3 or T3/T4 but I don't want a whole lot of lag. Also I don't want to spend over $750.

What trim and a/r did you go with?

Hoping I can get pointed in the right direction.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

If you care to call me tomorrow I can explain a slue of viable options.

OR

You can PM me to discuss.

Edit: If you care to discuss here, that is fine as well. As I think this will be quite beneficial to the community to hear as well.

The trim selection would be taken into account based upon the power demands you require of the system.

The A/R selection of the turbine can lead a vast array of options and power delivery. It all depends on where you want the power delivered in the RPM band, instant throttle response, is a bit of lag a huge deal? These are the common three I ask everyone regarding the custom turbo set-ups.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Paul do you think you could explain a little bit of the basics of a turbo. The difference of A/R, trim and ect. And how to pick out a turbo for your application.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattieg
Paul do you think you could explain a little bit of the basics of a turbo. The difference of A/R, trim and ect. And how to pick out a turbo for your application.
Well the actual selection is a lot more than just the couple of questions I may ask while someone is on the phone. A lot has to do with is what the car is being used for? Auto-x? Drag? Drift? DD?....Then ultimate power goal is next on the list. Then I ask how you want the power delivery? Mid-range or Top End? Throttle response? Instant or a bit of lag is acceptable?

The trim is more of a specific way to break down that turbo by it's power potential. For example, a 50 trim is less capable of making power than a 60 trim.

Turbine A/R (exhaust side), now fine tunes how the power is delivered for that compressor assembly. Smaller A/Rs are geared toward throttle response and daily driving, while larger A/Rs are geared toward power and less responsiveness.

Lastly is the part that is kinda tricky to explain, after all of this is decided....We then hunt through the turbo lines we carry. We look for turbos that meet all of the above qualifications and get to making some calculations. We take into account boost levels that will be run, air inlet temp, displacement and several other variables to determine which compressor map will yield the best efficiency for the app.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Thank you sir... now i have to decide on one of your turbo setups for my vehicle. Maybe I will have to give you guys a call one day if you dont mind.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattieg
Thank you sir... now i have to decide on one of your turbo setups for my vehicle. Maybe I will have to give you guys a call one day if you dont mind.
Sure. Anytime!