Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

DSM Crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default DSM Crossover?

So I have a stock 2006 tC
and I am wondering if there are any crossovers from a DSM to a Scion. I am not really familiar with a Scion motor but I have my old 16g sidemount and 550cc injectors lying around and was wondering if there is much modifying that must be done to use them. I mean I'm sure they won't just bolt up. but I was more wondering if say the injectors have the same plug or the turbo manifold has the same hardpoints.
or if there are any other crossovers if any (I realize that Toyota and Mistubishi are different companies but there are some pretty awesome Hyundia and Mistu crossovers (4g63+4gCS))
if this has already been covered just link the post where it is covered if someone could
for those who don't know DSM are the AWD FWD turbo Eclipse, Talons, and Laser that Mistubishi made
Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Swaps arent really worth the hassle for the tC. Would be cool as a project, but dont expect a good power per dollar ratio in the end. Better off just building and boosting the stock motor. Plus, I would hate to drop an unreliable DSM into a toyota.. it may get mad at you and torch itself out of shame At my dads shop I used to joke that he had a reserved mitsu parking place since his mitsu owning customers pretty much lived at the shop :D His toyota customers come in for repairs.... at about 150k But seriously, if you are wanting to go to the extreme fabbing and money spending of a swap, I expect you are ok with the maintenance and reliability concerns that come along with it. But I would at least look to a toyota powerplant if you really want to do it.

But, good to see another member online here in the Twin Cities. I am closing on a house in Champlin Friday, so I will even be up in your neck of the woods soon! So if you see the IIP with badgeless grills running around be sure to throw it a wave! And let me know when you get tired of those amber dash lights.. it is inevitable I tell you!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

hmm interesting signature...

so u want to try for 3 dead DSM's? :D
Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member

uhh well let me clarify the question. no I do not want to swap powerplants :s too much work. if I would do that it would be with my Aveo cuz it is lighter. what i meant more was if Toyota uses the same hardpoints and such.
but after examining closer they are not even kind of compatible unless it want to do some serious re-piping.

another question though is has anybody found out how much boost one of these Toyota motors can handle? not like I am planning on blowing a motor or anything but with all the supporting Mods, on one of the sticky pages it said you should only run about 6psi, I know it hurts the motor mor but like I said I had a DSM and I was running almost 18psi on pump gas. (could run about 24psi on very high octane(102~110) )

oh and I know the wonders of how Unreliable DSMs are. Powerful, but not something you would ever want to take on a long trip.

thanks for the input
Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

to sum it up, will the spare parts from the dead DSM's fit? which they most likey don't, so is tehre crossover, conversion, adapters, etc for said parts so they can be hooked up to the 2az.
I got it the first time ...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

Well like I know that like a T3 or a 56 Trim are like generic turbos that can be made to fit just about any application. is that hard to do?
or like again is it best to buy some of these kits. like the Dezod kit or something like that?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Garabaldy runs 14PSI on a stock block. then again he really doesn't care if he blows his up.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive heard of a guy runnin 18 psi but thats the most ive heard of runnin on a stock motor. I really don't think it would be worth it to try and use the old turbo, the kits aren't all that expensive and there straight bolt on alot less hassle then what you want to do. Ya and a hell of a lot more reliable!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member

and they would bolt up nice and pretty?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would go with Dezod just from what I have heard. I autox mine so I am not shopping for boost, so others are more in the loop of what else is out there and good quality.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbonetics is also a very good choice and only runnin 8psi plus the ecu is preprogramed so no tuning needed right off the bat.!!! big plus