Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

e85 % at the pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default e85 % at the pump

New Thorton's gas station have been going up around my town and now I have a good source of e85 available to me. The pumps states it's 70%. Was wondering what you guys are seeing the % rating is at your e85 equipped stations around you. For those of you that are running e85 or thinking about it that is.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Get a tester and test percentages.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
New Thorton's gas station have been going up around my town and now I have a good source of e85 available to me. The pumps states it's 70%. Was wondering what you guys are seeing the % rating is at your e85 equipped stations around you. For those of you that are running e85 or thinking about it that is.
Both stations around me give a rating of 85%. I know having a tester is optimal but i have noticed that stations that have the best E85 around, when youre pumping it...smells like pure alcohol. Other places you have a more diluted scent. There's a lot of people running E85 in Chicago for a while so people have let the car communities know which spots are better than others. I would say take a tester to a couple stations then make the determination from there.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are going to see anywhere from 50-85% at the pump. it will vary.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Hmm...it sounds like the risk increase by going with e85. How can you expect good performance when at one point it's 50% and then another time it could be 80%? Having to test every time you want to fill up your tank seems a bit of a hassle vs just spraying Meth or running unleaded race gas.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm...it sounds like the risk increase by going with e85. How can you expect good performance when at one point it's 50% and then another time it could be 80%? Having to test every time you want to fill up your tank seems a bit of a hassle vs just spraying Meth or running unleaded race gas.
IMHO once you test a few stations in the area you'll have a better idea about the quality of E85 at the pumps near you. I know for me as far as filling up at gas stations, even in my daily driver I pretty much fill up at the same gas stations every time I need gas. I think if you have the supply of E85 in your area and with your setup....why complicate things by adding a water/meth kit when it simulates to a point what E85 does (burns cooler, lower intake temps, raises octane). Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BadDudeTC3
IMHO once you test a few stations in the area you'll have a better idea about the quality of E85 at the pumps near you. I know for me as far as filling up at gas stations, even in my daily driver I pretty much fill up at the same gas stations every time I need gas. I think if you have the supply of E85 in your area and with your setup....why complicate things by adding a water/meth kit when it simulates to a point what E85 does (burns cooler, lower intake temps, raises octane). Just my 2 cents.
Meth kit is a control that is easily managed, that was my thought. Wouldn't have to worry about it not being available when ever traveling to a track event. It won't vary like different e85 at different stations. So, I guess to get that control is to just go to the same gas station every time. Problem runs into the mix when I'm in another state at a track event though. Guess you would have to just tote a pal of gas with you, or have the gauge to test the % at remote gas stations.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meth kit is a control that is easily managed, that was my thought. Wouldn't have to worry about it not being available when ever traveling to a track event. It won't vary like different e85 at different stations. So, I guess to get that control is to just go to the same gas station every time. Problem runs into the mix when I'm in another state at a track event though. Guess you would have to just tote a pal of gas with you, or have the gauge to test the % at remote gas stations.
I would definitely advise going to the same station. I also plan on just toting a large container to the track myself and yea you can just bring the tester with you when you travel out of state.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alot of the stations go anywhere from 60-85% depending on the time of year, they have summer, fall/spring, and winter blends. Winter blend being about e60-65 and summer being true e85. Fall/spring is typically like e70-75. Id get a tester off jegs for like $10. Or spend the $$ and get one of these - http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml Theyre about $375 with a brand new ethanol sensor, or get the display only for like $150 and find a sensor from a junkyard (around $100 or so).

I personally have a station right by me that blends at the pump rather then having e85 trucked in. (They have pure gas and E100 brought in separate tanks) Due to this they also serve E100 at the pump (truly e98 due to gov regulations), their E85 is consistent to within 2-3% year round
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Alot of the stations go anywhere from 60-85% depending on the time of year, they have summer, fall/spring, and winter blends. Winter blend being about e60-65 and summer being true e85. Fall/spring is typically like e70-75. Id get a tester off jegs for like $10. Or spend the $$ and get one of these - http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml Theyre about $375 with a brand new ethanol sensor, or get the display only for like $150 and find a sensor from a junkyard (around $100 or so).

I personally have a station right by me that blends at the pump rather then having e85 trucked in. (They have pure gas and E100 brought in separate tanks) Due to this they also serve E100 at the pump (truly e98 due to gov regulations), their E85 is consistent to within 2-3% year round

You are tuned on E85 right now right?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, Ive ran nothing but E85 for the past 2 1/2 years.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Yeah, Ive ran nothing but E85 for the past 2 1/2 years.

Cool. I went back and looked at the pump again, and it states a Minimum of 70%. So I probably will get a tester to see exactly what % it is. The messed up thing is the Thorton's where I live, E85 is actually more expensive than 93. It goes for $3.15 for E85 and $3.09 for 93.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. I went back and looked at the pump again, and it states a Minimum of 70%. So I probably will get a tester to see exactly what % it is. The messed up thing is the Thorton's where I live, E85 is actually more expensive than 93. It goes for $3.15 for E85 and $3.09 for 93.
I still think going with the E85 would be better. IMO its not that drastic of a price difference between the two but I understand where you're coming from cause here in Chicago 93 is $3.69 and E85 is $3.09.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I still think going with the E85 would be better. IMO its not that drastic of a price difference between the two but I understand where you're coming from cause here in Chicago 93 is $3.69 and E85 is $3.09.

Yea, whatadup with the Thorton's around here...lol. I looked up some stations about 30min away from my city, in the neighboring city and it's like $2.69 for E85

Either case, I should be tuned up on E85 this summer. Hopefully the prototype 4th gear will be well into testing as well by that time, and I can drop that in the trans while it's out.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, whatadup with the Thorton's around here...lol. I looked up some stations about 30min away from my city, in the neighboring city and it's like $2.69 for E85

Either case, I should be tuned up on E85 this summer. Hopefully the prototype 4th gear will be well into testing as well by that time, and I can drop that in the trans while it's out.
I'm hoping to do the same....also thinking about buying that twin disk from Slikk. I would like to do 3rd & 4th gear.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm hoping to do the same....also thinking about buying that twin disk from Slikk. I would like to do 3rd & 4th gear.
Slikk put that twin disk back in his tC.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Slikk put that twin disk back in his tC.
Nooo..... Guess it's time for plan B (FX700).
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Nooo..... Guess it's time for plan B (FX700).
Yea, he has a nice looking Tacoma now as a daily. tC gets to play a little more now.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Were in the same boat lol. I really need a twin, but dont think I have the extra $$ in the budget to get the car ready in time for TX2K. Amazingly Ive never had the ACT slip. (HD pressure plate with 6 puck sprung disc) The biggest issue Ive had with it is it not wanting to disengage fully during wot gear shifts. I guess well see how far itll go lol
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, he has a nice looking Tacoma now as a daily. tC gets to play a little more now.
Sweet! I'm actually looking to get a Tacoma after I buy my house in the spring. Looking forward to seeing some Time Attack video's from you two this year.

Quick Reply: e85 % at the pump