Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ecko04 - Bye-Bye tC - Trading in soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

do you have any work done on the engine?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Old 06-05-2009, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by supercharged07tc
do you have any work done on the engine?
Nope, stock.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

damn bro u drove it all the way to there shop untuned? did u hit boost at all? when i go 2 get my car tuned i gotta drive 2.5 hours on a basemap trying my best to stay out of boost
Old 06-05-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by weezyfbayba
damn bro u drove it all the way to there shop untuned? did u hit boost at all? when i go 2 get my car tuned i gotta drive 2.5 hours on a basemap trying my best to stay out of boost
Well CarbonXE provided me with a good conservative tune that worked pretty well. I didn't have any problems out of it and even when I hit boost it handled very well. I did my best to stay out of boost as much as possible though. I know when it is all fixed everything will be good, its just getting it fixed that's starting to irritate me. I would have gotten it towed but there wasn't anyone that I wanted to tune it in Charlotte so I opted to drive instead.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How does it go from $600 Flat, to another however many Hundred? I feel you on the tC being your only car, me too.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

im getting my tune for 500$ and i get another tune free olympic motor sports ftw
Old 06-05-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

man thats harsh but its how the biz is sometimes....i bet the tuner prolly just had a go with another customer and you kinda got the poop end of the stick so to speak...

the first time i took my car to a tuner after install i thought i was ready to roll (was actually only going for a dyno run and maybe a tune) but found out i had an issue with the fic (didnt flash the slave chip to the proper program)....I felt kinda bad cause i was talking up my car to the tuner and as soon as it got on the dyno the crap hit the fan...needless to say he really didnt want to deal with it cause it would have taken him too long to figure out what was wrong when there are others waiting in line to have work done.

so in short i understand your tuners position but still he shouldnt have been so harsh about it. just my two pennys
Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

god i pray everything goes ok with my install/tune
Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I thought that was the reason why we get it tuned though, to check for these type problems and fix them, all that was a part of the tune or so I thought. I figured that any part of a tune would be to at least check for leaks and tell the customer well we can fix it for $X amount or you can fix them yourself and come back. I am in no way trying to be a douche to the guys but I just want everything fixed correctly.

I'm going through serious withdraw without my car. I feel bad riding around in the Dodge Caliber that gets ____ poor gas mileage.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by weezyfbayba
god i pray everything goes ok with my install/tune
the more research you do the better off you are mang....oh and take your time, dont cut corners, double check everything no matter how mundane it is.

next install i do on my car ill spend a couple of days on it instead of going full speed and getting it done ina few hours just to make sure i gave myself enough time to be thorough with it.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sux the reason I was saying about the curse cause I have seen everyones threads that is going boosted and between this one and another one its not looking pretty.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
I thought that was the reason why we get it tuned though, to check for these type problems and fix them, all that was a part of the tune or so I thought. I figured that any part of a tune would be to at least check for leaks and tell the customer well we can fix it for $X amount or you can fix them yourself and come back. I am in no way trying to be a douche to the guys but I just want everything fixed correctly.
idk about your shops policy so im not going to delv into it and yeah i know you want it done right and double checked..

my shops policy is if they have to put thier hands on the engine besides hooking up thier stuff for the dyno (wideband, map sensor, ect) they charge extra...my shops not the only one around here that does that....now they will look and say "hey i think you gotta leak or something" but that all they will do unless i tell them to fix it and pay the extra. its fairly common among shops to do so. They wont get in too deep to figure out the problem but they will throw some ideas out there which is about all they can do without short changing themselves...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

yea im off every tues and wens im gonna start on it on a early tuesday morning and hopefully be finished by wensday night
then mayb if i can get that thursday off go get it tuned
Old 06-05-2009, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
idk about your shops policy so im not going to delv into it and yeah i know you want it done right and double checked..

my shops policy is if they have to put thier hands on the engine besides hooking up thier stuff for the dyno (wideband, map sensor, ect) they charge extra...my shops not the only one around here that does that....now they will look and say "hey i think you gotta leak or something" but that all they will do unless i tell them to fix it and pay the extra. its fairly common among shops to do so. They wont get in too deep to figure out the problem but they will throw some ideas out there which is about all they can do without short changing themselves...
That's exactly what i'm saying though. If they saw something I wish I was told initially instead of the car just sitting there. Especially when i'm a few hours away. Had I been told on Tuesday that they think it was a leak and if I wanted them to go ahead and fix it I would have said yes but here it is Thursday and just being told of problems really ticks me especially after i've made 3 trips up there already; and no mention of any leaks or anything.

I know i'll be satisfied when it all is done but goodness its just irritating.

I'm headed to DC on Monday so I would hope to have it all fixed before then.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04

That's exactly what i'm saying though. If they saw something I wish I was told initially instead of the car just sitting there. Especially when i'm a few hours away. Had I been told on Tuesday that they think it was a leak and if I wanted them to go ahead and fix it I would have said yes but here it is Thursday and just being told of problems really ticks me especially after i've made 3 trips up there already; and no mention of any leaks or anything.

I know i'll be satisfied when it all is done but goodness its just irritating.

I'm headed to DC on Monday so I would hope to have it all fixed before then.
oh i hear ya mang....they shouldnt have been like that with you and give you some sort of info befor all this...
Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Just left Lethal so we're making progress it seems like.

They are going to make all new aluminum piping for the kit as well as beads so the couplers don't slide off. The piping seems to be the source of the leaking as well. They are also going to move the location of the BOV and MAF to improve the idle.

It turns out that I may have a faulty front O2 sensor so i'll be getting a new one of those as well thanks to Complication.

There were exhaust leaks at the exhaust manifold, fixed by tightening bolts, and where the downpipe bolts to the spipe.

After that is done the car will be put back on the dyno for tuning.

The wastegate does not leak so that is not a problem and it does not seem like there is a problem with the turbo charger itself. New aluminum piping and eliminating some of those couplers should work wonders.

Estimated time to completion is Wednesday so hopefully everything will work out.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

well good luck....so whats the price for the new pipes?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

well good luck....so whats the price for the new pipes?
About $500 for all new piping an the new placement of the BOV and MAF
Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

It was nice meeting you today man, I'm sorry if I seemed a bit Pre-occupied. I had to get that motor out of my truck for Kyle. Before I knew it you were gone! Seriously,I wish I could have talked to you a bit longer. I'm glad everything is coming together. I will be looking forward to see what it makes.

Quick Reply: ecko04 - Bye-Bye tC - Trading in soon