Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ECU memory?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ECU memory?

hey so i was wondering about the memory of the ecu?
whenever the fit kit comes out, and i get the s/c, i need the warranty.
so the only thing i think ill do is the pulley, it could be swapped out real quick if i ever had a problem, but when they download the history, i know the computer prob wont be able to record boost, but the maf, or map, whatever it is, will show the air it measured, wont it?

also, so i dont have to repost, whats up with the bosch 110 bpv?
it cant do anything harmful, can it? does even add horsepower?
its just an upgrade, but cant do anything worng can it? like a better battery, or something?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: ECU memory?

Originally Posted by kcautotc
hey so i was wondering about the memory of the ecu?
whenever the fit kit comes out, and i get the s/c, i need the warranty.
so the only thing i think ill do is the pulley, it could be swapped out real quick if i ever had a problem, but when they download the history, i know the computer prob wont be able to record boost, but the maf, or map, whatever it is, will show the air it measured, wont it?

also, so i dont have to repost, whats up with the bosch 110 bpv?
it cant do anything harmful, can it? does even add horsepower?
its just an upgrade, but cant do anything worng can it? like a better battery, or something?
As far as the ECU goes, they will be able to tell how much boost you were running by checking the Manifold Absolute Pressure...(amount of boost running through the manifold)
The bosch 110 bpv wont do any harm...it allows you to hit boost earlier than with the stock bypass valve because of the internal designs between the two. The 110 is a stronger unit by far, but still is no where near up to par with diverter valves like the Forge 007.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i need the warranty. so the only thing i think ill do is the pulley, it could be swapped out real quick if i ever had a problem
Good thinking, but the supercharger is installed with a tamper-proof cap so that you can't remove the pully. Once they put the cap on the bolt holding the pully on, you have to bust the cap to get it off. They made the cap for this specific reason....so people can't up the boost, screw up their motor, and claim it under warrenty.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by THansenite
i need the warranty. so the only thing i think ill do is the pulley, it could be swapped out real quick if i ever had a problem
Good thinking, but the supercharger is installed with a tamper-proof cap so that you can't remove the pully. Once they put the cap on the bolt holding the pully on, you have to bust the cap to get it off. They made the cap for this specific reason....so people can't up the boost, screw up their motor, and claim it under warrenty.
so far about 70% of people I have seen including myself didnt even get the cap put on the car...but the techs at the dealership knew what I was gonna do with it anyway so thats why I think they left it off for me
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well a lot of people said theirs wasnt put on at the time, so im hoping that they will follow the pattern!
so as far as the bosch goes, i dont have to worry about hiding it or anything, like what i compared to earlier, its like upgrading a battery, it works, or it dont work, only if it ever broke, it wouldnt be replaced obviously. so theres nothing that can ever go wrong if the bosch ever failed? i think there would be a certain chain of events that would start if the bosch wasnt performing correctly, like if the stock bpv failed and caused a series of problems that would be covered, correct, but an aftermarket one would for 1) not be covered
2) warrenty would not cover anything that was effected by the device failing?

i know im answering a lot of my own questions, but it all goes back to the question of what could go wrong with the aftermarket one.

also, on the boost, if i had the stock pulley on, but the ecu was showing higher boost, and something messed up, that wouldnt be passed off as the reason the car is screwed up in the first place, like a surge? i guess a better way of asking would be how long does the memory go back? 1 day? 1 week? 1 year?

thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the only thing that could happen if the Bosch 110's diaphragm rips is you wont build boost...thats it. Now as far as the ECU reading more boost than 7 psi with the stock pulley I dont really understand what you are talking about. How will the ECU see more than 7 psi when you havent changed out to a smaller pulley to create more boost?? Theres no boost surge on a centrifigul supercharger like on a small turbo.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so "wouldnt boost" cant hurt anything, it would just suck? would this have worse performance than stock? could you still drive it, or would you have to garage it until a new one arrives? as far as my far stretched question, basically if something happened to the car and i wanted to have it serviced under warranty, if i swapped the pullies back to the stock one for it to be serviced, if they read the memory and it showed that boost was higher than what it should be, will they be like "its showing that you were running higher boost then your suppost to be, so we cant do any warranty work".
(please dont think im one of one of those people that screws the dealers... i would only do something like this if something failed prematurely, and should not have anything to do with boost, because we all have had experience with the dealers that try to find any reason not to do warranty work...just thought id clarify before i got bashed, trust me, i know dealers getting screwed ruins it for everybody)
thanks!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you could still drive the car with a busted diverter valve, you just wont make any boost. If you swapped pulleys and they logged your car chances are they wont warranty it if its reading more boost pressure in the manifold.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok thanks for the replies, so maybe i shouldnt do the pulley.
so even the original pulley is on, and doesnt look like its been messed with, they would still just dismiss everything the second they read the codes?