Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

END ALL to ZPI Stage 0 performance *Update 5/20 New times*

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default END ALL to ZPI Stage 0 performance *Update 5/20 New times*

When it comes to information on performance concerning the Stage 0 from ZPI, the information is rather lack luster. We have dyno vids from ZPI on it from ZPI (but we all know how many naysayers say that they are rigged). Other than the dyno vid, there really isn't any definitive proof of it's performance. That's ALL about to change. One of our crew members just got his Stage 0 installed. The only additions he added were the E-manage and HKS Bov.

There are no real world information on how it performs on the Street until now. Not even close to half of our crew took a trip up to ZPI yesterday. We were rolling 8 cars deep. With all xB's and tC's. So, on the way back home, we pitted Louis' Stage 0 against Rich (blownupmarine).

Following specs:

Louis(noob turbo driver) + 2 Passengers

Stage 0
Axle back exhaust
Optional Emanage (tuned rich for safety, as Kenny usually does)
Optional BOV

Rich (blownupmarine) + 1 Passenger

TRD S/Cer
DC sports Header
Injen Intake
Borla Exhaust
ZPI lightweight Crank Pulley
ZPI 9 PSI S/C'er pulley
ZPI Street/Strip Clutch
Dynoed at 238whp

By no means is it a stock S/Cer. Because we were all rolling together, and had passengers tag along. Louis had 2 extra passengers with him. And Rich had 1.

Race 1) Both had a good start, with Louis coming out on top by maybe a fender. (Camera angle only caught from the rear)

Race 2) Louis is still trying to get used to driving a with a turbo, and I was describing how to brake boost it, however, being a noob, of course he isn't going to get this on the first try. He couldn't hear the honking, and the race ensued with Louis screwing up the brake boost, giving Rich the win by a fender.

Race 3) I advised Louis that he is going to have to learn brake boosting somewhere where it was secluded and he could practice, but this aint the time.... So, I told him to get one more run in, and just mash it on GO. When they passed our view, it looked to be Louis had him by Half a car. Rich said he didn't get a good start on this one.

Vids will be uploaded soon. I don't have any good camera angles but I will put up what I got. We of course will have to set up some races with just 1 passenger each, with the video camera IN the car so we can get a better view. And the guys will have a REAL no worries go at it. But there you have it. ZPI Stage 0 Out of the Box performance. Now that we have a Stage 0 in our crew (Nashville Scikotics 30+ members strong), we will provide vids from a list of cars to compare it's REAL World performance on the street too.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome rhythmn. I am happy we can finally put an end to all this "bickering" about the numbers of the stage 0. I am also not surprised that against a car with approx 230-240whp, and one less passenger, the zpi keeps up and wins some of the time. Kenny and them put out GREAT kits, and the stage 0 is no exception.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet!!! waitin for the vids!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
Awesome rhythmn. I am happy we can finally put an end to all this "bickering" about the numbers of the stage 0. I am also not surprised that against a car with approx 230-240whp, and one less passenger, the zpi keeps up and wins some of the time. Kenny and them put out GREAT kits, and the stage 0 is no exception.
That "some" of the time will change into "all the time", when Louis learns how to drive the car. Rich is a better driver than Louis is, because he has more experience. When Louis gets it down, it will no longer become a drivers race between his Stage 0 and a decently modded S/C'er. That is until Rich gets off his butt and gets that E-manage Ultimate to squeeze out a few more ponies....
Old 03-04-2007, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That "some" of the time will change into "all the time", when Louis learns how to drive the car. Rich is a better driver than Louis is, because he has more experience. When Louis gets it down, it will no longer become a drivers race between his Stage 0 and a decently modded S/C'er. That is until Rich gets off his butt and gets that E-manage Ultimate to squeeze out a few more ponies.... La La La
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^I can remember way back how people kept talking that the Stage 0 was crap. All the theories will be put to rest.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Well I think people who KNOW turbo kits and F/I in general understand its a great kit. But I hope you can get through to some of the uneducated.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa whoa whoa! hold on a sec. Thats not a stage0 if it has emanage!! Im a zpi suporter and all but come on travis.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by redwar1441
whoa whoa whoa! hold on a sec. Thats not a stage0 if it has emanage!! Im a zpi suporter and all but come on travis.

far from "out of the box" performance...stage 0 is stage 0...stage 0 with emanage is stage .5 if you ask me
What do you think would have been the outcome if he didnt have an emanage
Old 03-04-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

nice to see the stage 0 getting some praise....lol
Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion

far from "out of the box" performance...stage 0 is stage 0...stage 0 with emanage is stage .5 if you ask me
What do you think would have been the outcome if he didnt have an emanage :

The same outcome bro. E-manage or NO E-manage, Stage 0 still dynos within the 230whp ball park. It's not like he turned the boost up, just because he got an E-manage you know... What do you think would have been the outcome if the S/C'er was straight from the Dealer with NO extra mods or PSI pulley upgrades... If just because he added a 1 part optional upgrade (e-manage) makes it FAR from "out of the box" performance, then what do you consider the additional mods on my boys S/Cer. HIGHLY modded? Cause I don't consider all the mods done to his S/Cer setup to be HIGHLY modded.

Originally Posted by redwar1441
ALL Stage 0's have the option to include the E-manage. It's always been an option. It's definitely not a Stage 1, cause this thread wouldn't even be here if I considered this FAR from out of the box performance, just because it has an E-manage on it, I mean come on dude, it's running the same PSI that ALL Stage 0's run.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
nice to see the stage 0 getting some praise....lol

Must be one of those things that just will "never be good enough" for some people, despite smashing all their previous theories. They will find something else to gripe about..
Old 03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always wondered how a turbocharged car with 230whp and a supercharged car with 230whp, why the turbochrged car should always win. Assuming bother drivers are same level or driving ability, and they are both 5speed....whats the difference? This is an honest question.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

And Just FYI..

We have about 3 more crew members that are looking into the Stage 0 as well. As well as a few of the xB's in the crew looking to turbo.

If OPTIONAL freakin E-manage is such a big deal, then I can persuade one of the guys to hold off with any additional upgrades, and well run the crap again.

You guys crack me up though. Come on, be a man. Guess some people can't admit when they are wrong.

So, you mean to tell me that in order to make it fair....to pit a Stage 0 with E-manage against a S/C'er, the S/C'er would need to have in addition to the S/C'er:

1) Headers

2) Intake

3) Upgraded Pulley (at least 9 PSI)

4) Upgraded Bypass valve (forgot to mention that in my initial post)

5) Exhaust (kinda negligable though seeing as how both were running axle backs and not full exhaust)

6) Crank Pulley

7) Good Driver

I just want to make sure I got it right, so if you would like to correct me, be my guest.

Both of these guys are my boys. Rich loves his S/Cer and so do we. It would be stupid if we all had the same setups. I love the way his S/Cer sounds as well as the way our turbo sounds. So, by no means am I trying to put down the S/C'er, and if you are reading this and that's the way I come off, I apologize. All I'm mearly trying to do is show that the Stage 0 is not weak sauce, and that it can do it's job well. Which is to give some good and decent performance for the small amount you pay (under $3k). I'm trying to show that just because it's cheap, does NOT mean that it sucks, or can't perform. The only way to do that is race it with other comparable systems. So, don't get offended if you at one point ran the S/C'er, currently running the S/C'er, or think about purchasing it. Just keep in mind that you can't believe everything you read on SL when it comes to performance comparison opinions.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think anyone doubts the numbers the stage 0 puts out. i just think many people question the driveability/reliability of a out of box stage 0 without emanage. not trying to disagree, im just stating what i think many others are thinking.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
I've always wondered how a turbocharged car with 230whp and a supercharged car with 230whp, why the turbochrged car should always win. Assuming bother drivers are same level or driving ability, and they are both 5speed....whats the difference? This is an honest question.

Linear Power (S/C'er) vs NON-Linear Power (turbo).

This is only true because of the TYPE of S/C'er TRD uses. If this was a Roots type or some other more superior type of S/C'er, then you will find the outcome to be different. However, this is not the case for the tC.

Therefore simply put, because of the way the S/C'er makes it's power, a 230whp S/C'ed tC would see that actual Peak HP (230whp) at 6k RPMs...aka...Redline.

This is not the case for turbo kitted tC's. 230whp on a fast spooling turbo such as the ones used by ZPI....230whp would come at say 3k-3500 RPMs.

So, if you looked at the dyno sheets.....At 3k rpms the Turbo car will be at it's 230whp. Then you look at where the power is on the S/C'er at 3k rpms (just throwing a number out there) it might be at like 180whp. When you translate this difference on the street, it equates to the turbo car jumping out front, and pulling to hard for the S/C'er (with same Peak HP) to catch up.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by satoman44
i dont think anyone doubts the numbers the stage 0 puts out. i just think many people question the driveability/reliability of a out of box stage 0 without emanage. not trying to disagree, im just stating what i think many others are thinking.
Like I said, it's always an option. And just to call it crap just because management is optional is not justifiable. Tredstone runs no management as well, and they too confirm that the factory ecu is capable of handling 6 lbs of boost. Ironically though, their reception into the tC F/I form was not meet with critics/doubters. Also as mentioned, I'm sure there will be a couple of "budget" builders in our group who will run the Stage 0 w/out management, and I'll be back to make a thread for that too...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Linear Power (S/C'er) vs NON-Linear Power (turbo).

This is only true because of the TYPE of S/C'er TRD uses. If this was a Roots type or some other more superior type of S/C'er, then you will find the outcome to be different. However, this is not the case for the tC.

Therefore simply put, because of the way the S/C'er makes it's power, a 230whp S/C'ed tC would see that actual Peak HP (230whp) at 6k RPMs...aka...Redline.

This is not the case for turbo kitted tC's. 230whp on a fast spooling turbo such as the ones used by ZPI....230whp would come at say 3k-3500 RPMs.

So, if you looked at the dyno sheets.....At 3k rpms the Turbo car will be at it's 230whp. Then you look at where the power is on the S/C'er at 3k rpms (just throwing a number out there) it might be at like 180whp. When you translate this difference on the street, it equates to the turbo car jumping out front, and pulling to hard for the S/C'er (with same Peak HP) to catch up.
Well that helps me a lot in regards to my question. I think the stage 0 kit is awesome. I mean it is a great, affordable base turbo system that creates very nice power for its price. Not to metion, you can upgrade the kit, intercooler, bigger turbo even. When I consider F/I this summer, stage 0 is one I will consider.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dyno numbers and track times are more persuasive than rolling street races...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well i have the stage 0, and i run no emanage, and i'm pretty damn sure i'm at 230 whp+.....so far, no problems....and it i don't think the stage 0 is weaksauce...does beating a stock 350z sound slow? haha......

Quick Reply: END ALL to ZPI Stage 0 performance *Update 5/20 New times*