Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Engine building resources

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bearings are not bearings. The H series from ACL are the ones I use due to their greater strength. A lot of places sell the regular ACL's instead of the H series so beware. As for coatings, I use a place here in Detroit that is well known and is extremely precise. Always do a great job.
As for the head gasket, you can use the same bore as the piston or go 0.5mm over. Others may want to look at SCE head gaskets as well. The only problem is that they are extremely limited as to sizes.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The importperformanceparts kit for the xB is $300 as well. Seems way too high, they do include piston rings as well. It's not just a gasket kit, more like a rebuild kit. Some of them have freeze plugs too.

Myself, I'm going the piece-part route form Toyota, Advanced Auto Parts, and Importperformanceparts. Clevite doesn't have bearings for the 1NZ, so I'm going with Toga. if you want to know the difference in bearings, it's surface hardness and crush strength. The Toga and Clevite bearings are tri-metal.

For the 1NZ, I'm replacing the following:

-intake manifold gasket
-valve cover gasket
-water pump gasket
-water bypass pipe gasket
-exhaust manifold gasket
-head gasket (have to go w/ Toyota, no prformance gasket exists)
-oil passage o-rings to timing cover (2)
-oil filter internal passage o-rings (2)
-oil dipstick o-ring
-engine rear oil seal
-oil drain plug gasket

I'm re-using the following:
-sensor o-rings
-oil cap gasket
-oil pump seal
-fuel injector o-ring
-water inlet gasket
-oil strainer gasket
-header to midpipe gasket

Also, instead of using the two Toyota sealants for the oil pan, timing chain cover, etc. I just use ultra black for everything.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm

For the exhaust manifold, I'll also be using ultra copper in addition to the gasket to ensure no manifold pressure leaks.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is an old thread, but thought Id bump it rather than making a new thread seeing as how this is closely related. I know Toyota uses a number system (1-3 for rod bearings, 1-4 for main bearings) that accounts for minor clearance differences in the motors from the factory. Iv noticed none of the aftermarket/race bearing companys account for this? They only have std size, than oversized (.25mm.5mm). Im starting to wonder in order to get my oil clearances perfect when I do the build on my car, If I should use OEM Toyota bearings. Thanks guys for any input.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i need to check get into this thread, this would help my check list
Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was reading back in the post and also noticed one guy talking about running a slightly larger than stock oil clearance, I take this would aid with using a higher weight oil like a 10w40 that would hold up better with the added heat of the turbo correct?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

also give extra tolerance for heat expansion.. there is gonna be more heat on extreme load
Old 02-21-2010, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed - id be interested to know what clearances most people are running. Ive seen too many bearing issues with built motors on our car. I think alot of the machine shops around here just dont understand the proper assembly and clearancing procedures for our motor. I think Im going to just have the machine shop perform the bore/hone and balance for me and do the assembly myself. Ive only assembled a few motors but im very meticulous and will make sure its put together right - unlike someone who would rather do it quick to make the $$