Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Everyday driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Everyday driver

hey im looking to make a everyday driver turbo tc 07. my question is what turbo kit should i go with....i was leaning for a zpi but heard they went under so im at a stand still. any help would be nice, trying to do a special project with my car sorta make it a police show car...hard to explain but something i wanted to do since ive started the police academy.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll tell you this now, its definitely possible, i'd recommend something like the greddy kit for daily driving, its a small kit with some reliability. turbonetics you need some custom work like maf sensor and engine management, turbo toyota's isn't bad and dezord isn't bad either, its all self preference, if you want crazy horsepower or if you want a quick daily driver
Old 08-26-2008, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why don't you just go supercharged? You'll avoid that pesky turbo lag on the street, and it's a bit cheaper.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but there is nothing like that 50 trim smacking you in the face
Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

um...first of all, ZPI went under like a year ago, so your a little behind...time to do a little research.
second...police show car + daily driver? You DO know that any turbo you put on your car will make it "illegal", right?
lastly, no reason to go small for daily driving...I have daily driven my TurboToyotas boosted tC for over a year now, and I'm pushing 296whp at 9psi...it's all about the tune...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just want some hp under my wheel to be happy with. i know as soon as im given my police car i wont be driving the scion too much except for upkeep so its going to turn into my project car. i got all kinds of ideas for it but while i got some money to burn i wanna do a turbo. i know too familiar with engines but i know the basic concept. another question: when u put a turbo, is the CAI replaced aswell as the headers?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turboing a car is illegal? why is that? not too aware or caught up with local statues...
Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbo is for offroad use and emissions it produces is illegal. and you can have a cai but why? kit comes with a short ram and its perfectly fine and headers gets replaced by turbo manifold and down-pipe
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does this go for every state? i mean i know theres no real police in miami that will pull you over for having a turbo vehicle but this opened a new car of worms
Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MeNaCe305
i just want some hp under my wheel to be happy with. i know as soon as im given my police car i wont be driving the scion too much except for upkeep so its going to turn into my project car. i got all kinds of ideas for it but while i got some money to burn i wanna do a turbo. i know too familiar with engines but i know the basic concept. another question: when u put a turbo, is the CAI replaced aswell as the headers?
You need to read the stickies and important stuff on the tC F/I forums, for anything you don't understand because I'm 100% positive it's been asked and answered already, and make a clear budget for yourself that you should be prepared to break at least once before you seriously consider putting a turbo in your car.

Forced induction is not something anyone with a "basic concept" of engines should be messing with. At the very least, you'll end up wasting your money.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does this go for every state? i mean i know theres no real police in miami that will pull you over for having a turbo vehicle but this opened a new car of worms
having bad emissions is a federal offense if i'm not mistaken and police officers don't particularly care about such modifications because it doesn't necessarily and directly endanger the environment unless an asshat is drving
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well budget wise ive already looked into prices and different turbo kits, i was just looking for a opinion by people who know more than i do in this issue.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so turbo cars that come from the factory are tuned for these emissions?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so turbo cars that come from the factory are tuned for these emissions?
^ correct.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StreetStarsTc
i'll tell you this now, its definitely possible, i'd recommend something like the greddy kit for daily driving, its a small kit with some reliability. turbonetics you need some custom work like maf sensor and engine management, turbo toyota's isn't bad and dezord isn't bad either, its all self preference, if you want crazy horsepower or if you want a quick daily driver
You're a little off there. Turbo Kits dot Com has a Turbonetics kit for the '07-'08 TC.. it comes with the AEM F/IC.

If you want a small quick spooling turbo, you have a couple of options (In order of preference):

1) Dezod - they come with a 50trim T04E - but you can get Paul to swap it out for something smaller. A T3 Super60 would be a nasty little turbo in our cars.. Just make sure you get the .63 AR and Stage 3 wheel.

2) Treadstone - they already come with a T3 and not a T04E.. so the spool will be quick. The problem is some fitment issues and the lack of customer support.

If I didn't purchase my Turbonetics kit, and if I wasn't so hard-up for Dezod's S1 (I was tossing them back and forth constantly), I would've built my own kit and started with a low hp application - and the T3 Super 60 would've been my choice. This turbo is just a tad bigger than ZPI's 16g.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Emissions laws vary by state. We dont even have basic inspections in MN, much less emissions tests. I can run straight exhaust all the way back if it isnt too loud

States that follow Cali's ridiculous laws are much more strict. Even a non carb approved intake (even though it has ZERO effect on emissions) will get you a ticket. Pretty much a money making scheme if I have ever seen one But if your state does not follow those rules, you wont get in trouble for running non-carb approved parts.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same here in FL.

No emissions testing - only exhaust db limits.. and even with those they are kinda lenient.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From reading your posts and guessing about your car knowledge, I woudl recomend the Dezod kit, but call them, tell them what you want, and they will design one for you...either that or the Supercharger purchased and installed by the dealership...100% legal.

ALL turbo kits replace the CAI and the Headers...the headers contain the CAT so getting rid of that increases immissions, which is a federal offense. In some states, it is also illigal to do massive performance upgrades on a street driven car. Neither of these would get you busted unless your street racing, but removing the cat will give you a CEL which will make you not able to pass SMOG check, but there are some fixes for that as well...you just need basic mechanical skills.

About cost...there is more then just the price of the kit....ther is install, gauges, tuneing, fixes stuff that braeks, miscelenaous fluids, hoses, wires and stuff.
The general rule is make sure you can afford double what you plan on spending to boost your car.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Same here in FL.

No emissions testing - only exhaust db limits.. and even with those they are kinda lenient.
i've been running no exhaust for over a well over a year and a half now. never been stopped over noise.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Originally Posted by B_Real45
Same here in FL.

i've been running no exhaust for over a well over a year and a half now. never been stopped over noise.
have you been stopped for speed? or peeling out? lol

Hey brett, once I get my car tuned, i'll race you if you set your boost to 10 psi, lol.

Because if i'm not mistaken your engine is bullet proof right?

Quick Reply: Everyday driver