Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Exhaust leak at downpipe/spipe connection

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust leak at downpipe/spipe connection

I have a slight exhaust leak at where the down pipe meets the spipe due to the fact that the downpipe is slightly misaligned. I was going to smear the donut gasket with some high temp sensor safe rtv as a temporary fix. Has anyone tried this and did it work? Anyone else with similar issues that had a better fix?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichTc
I have a slight exhaust leak at where the down pipe meets the spipe due to the fact that the downpipe is slightly misaligned. I was going to smear the donut gasket with some high temp sensor safe rtv as a temporary fix. Has anyone tried this and did it work? Anyone else with similar issues that had a better fix?
What is misaligned? Are the downpipe and s-pip made to fit with eachother? Is it a stock s-pipe? What type of down pipe? I would advise against the high temp rtv I doubt it would do much of any good
Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

iv done it as a temp fix but it will soon blow out...trust me on this. Its fine if you just need it to seal for a min so you can check out if your wideband is reading ok. other than that its not worth the hassle. Then again if the leak is really small its a very very remote chance it will seal for a good while.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if its a flange that uses a donut gasket( like oem) then go to pepboys or advanced auto parts and look through their donut gaskets get one the same size but a bit thicker... i found one that looks like our stock one but has a 1cm lip behind it as a spacer.. it spaced everything out enough to sit flush..

now if its the flat kind of flanges... u can double or triple gaskets till it sits right.. and it WILL lol

Last edited by crush02342002; 12-28-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by borderguy881
if its a flange that uses a donut gasket( like oem) then go to pepboys or advanced auto parts and look through their donut gaskets get one the same size but a bit thicker... i found one that looks like our stock one but has a 1cm lip behind it as a spacer.. it spaced everything out enough to sit flush..

now if its the flat kind of flanges... u can double or triple gaskets till it sits right.. and it WILL lol

hehehe..iv done the same thing...looking for a 3" donut gasket. they know me by name and car so they dont even bother looking, they just send me to the back to look for stuff. Its funny when i have to tell the guys at pep-boys what they have instock and are out of.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

It's a greddy turbo downpipe and a ptuning spipe. The downpipe sits slightly to the left of where it should be (guessing bad jig when it was made, but I bought it used so can't really complain to anyone). It results in the s-pipe sitting a little cocked to the one side on the donut gasket. The new donut gasket is a really good idea, and may work. I have to drive from my parents in Jersey to my girlfriends parents in Long Island tomorrow, though, then back to Maryland in a few days. So I won't have anymore time to work on it until i get back to MD.

I didn't put the RTV on it and got it to where I don't feel a leak anymore with my AFR gauge is reading 14.8-14.9, but I had to really crank the driver side bolt down (and basically fully compress that spring). The passenger side spring is normal. Do you think I'll crack my manifold like that?

Maybe I'll just get the downpipe fixed so it's in the right position or have a piece of v-banded flex pipe there when I get back to maryland. This way I won't have to worry about my header cracking and smelling exhaust fumes every time I stop the car with the heat on.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ic...iv had the same problem with other downpipes...the 3" I have now was so far off i had to cut and reweld. but from the sounds of it you should be good.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
hehehe..iv done the same thing...looking for a 3" donut gasket. they know me by name and car so they dont even bother looking, they just send me to the back to look for stuff. Its funny when i have to tell the guys at pep-boys what they have instock and are out of.

same exact here..