Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

A few turbo maintanance questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A few turbo maintanance questions

For the people knowledgeble about turbo on na engines or I guess turbo engines in general What are some good habits with the car that can improve engine/turbo life.

Ones I know of:

1. After hitting the gas pedal hard engough you should let it idle for a minute or so before turning the engine off..
2. Driving uphill for long periods of time can overheat the turbo.
3. Tuning the engine for winter.
4. Using synthetic oil for the car and turbo.
5. Checking under the hood of the engine ones a week to make sure everthing is running smoothly.

Correct me if Iam wrong on any since I only heard these from word of mouth.

Do oil changes have to be more frequent?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes, change the oil more often.
the oil cools the turbo and will be exposed to much higer temps then normally. this will break down the oil and the viscosity will change from it.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so say you use synthetic on our tc that is turboed how often would you change the oil?
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Typhoon
so say you use synthetic on our tc that is turboed how often would you change the oil?
I would do a synthetic such as Mobil 1 and change the oil every 3000 miles, unless you do some real hard driving for a while, then I would probly do it at about 2500 miles
Old 01-21-2006, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but doenst synthetic last longer? I mean normaly i was told that on our car it shoudl last 7000 by a dealer mechanic, since our car only requires changes 5000 miles, with a turbo i figured a synthetic should be at 5000 and normal oil at 3000 since normnaly normal oil is at 5000? This is pure speculation on my part with zero knowledge on turbo oil and how much faster a turbo makes oil older?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

As Dave(DGHotlava) explained, the turbo heats up the oil much quicker than an N/A motor would...The viscosity breaks down a lot quicker that way, rendering the oil less and less useful over time. I know that they reccomend doing oil changes at 5000, but I personally wouldnt wait that long...Oil is like the blood of a vehicle, if you stay on top of oil changes, your internals will most likely hold stronger over time.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i realized that the turbo uses oil faster I was just wondering if using synthetic oil with a turbo will still need to be changed at the 3000 mark. I mean as a standard dont they say synthetic lasts a few thousand more then regular oil. So if you say you need synthetic and change at 3000 with a turbo how often would you have to change normal oil?
With normal oil it is recomended you change oil at 5000 with synthetic i was told on our engines 7000 is fine.

Iam not arguing I was just wondering. So all of you guys with fi use synthetic and change oil at 3000?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Typhoon
well i realized that the turbo uses oil faster I was just wondering if using synthetic oil with a turbo will still need to be changed at the 3000 mark. I mean as a standard dont they say synthetic lasts a few thousand more then regular oil. So if you say you need synthetic and change at 3000 with a turbo how often would you have to change normal oil?
With normal oil it is recomended you change oil at 5000 with synthetic i was told on our engines 7000 is fine.

Iam not arguing I was just wondering. So all of you guys with fi use synthetic and change oil at 3000?
its not the fact that the turbo uses oil faster, it just happens to break down faster...if you want to change oil at 5000 if you go f/i thats entirely up to you, but I think it would be in your best interest to hit 3000...it wont hurt to change it at 3000, if anything, it will benefit you in the end. I personally like to keep my oil looking like honey...it only costs $25 to do a synthetic oil change yourself every 3000 miles...IMO well worth it considering you spent $17,000 + on your vehicle.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true very good point and I plan on doing whats best for the car, especially if i turbo it I mean i want it to be as safe as possible for now I use synthetic and changed it at 3000 and was going to change it next time every 5000 and then I didnt know what I was going to do with a turbo but know ill keep to the 3000 mark.

SO anyways to the original point of the post is anythign that I wrote wrong/incorrect about a turbo maintance. And if there is any other maintance with a turbo on the tc engine share the knowledge.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you pretty much covered everything there is as far as maintanence goes...The only difference is when I put the turbo on the xB I was under the hood pretty much everyday just checking things and making sure everything was proper...I was driving one day and I was hard in boost in first gear then all of a sudden I lost all power to the car...I pulled over and noticed that one of my intercooler pipes popped off...stupid hose clamps...this is why it is imperative to constantly check things over again and again no matter how much you think you have things in control.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah I think if aI put on a turbo (iam going to be doign the install myself with a very basic kit) Id be under the hood every time I stoped the car for the first week Iam paranoid about things going wrong especially after all the stories i heard.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IS300 from the factory was 5k w/ normal oil. Once I went turbo, it was mobil 1 synth w/ mobil 1 filter every 3k. Sucks, but gotta keep that beast alive. Plan to do the same w/ this one
Old 01-22-2006, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

its been over 2 months, and i still check under the hood every other day. if not for a quick run through, look and hear whats going on. you should be able to hear differences in tone if something is off, ie. burnt out wastegate gasket. every week i check for loose connections and lightly retightening things. those hose clamps come loose very often, so you have to wrench them back to a tight degree. this is what ive learned in the few days of owning a self installed turbo.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Good idea. I never thought of it but there is a lot of extra weight there and with the road vibrations and such, these parts can come loose over time.
And oil doesn't 'cool' the turbo as stated above. It simply lubricates it. I would deffinitely go synthetic with the oil. One of the biggest problems with turbos is that the oil "cokes". This is when the bearings are hot and the oil literally burns to the bearings. To avoid this, synthetic is a big one. Synthetic also has a higher viscosity rating and a higher tolerance to 'coking'.
Another is, as the OP mentioned, to let the car idle a minute or two 1. Before driving somewhere, and 2. After driving somewhere. What happens is the turbo is spinning at an EXTREMELY high RPM ( 130,000 RPM and up). If you shut the engine off, you also shut the oil supply off. This allows for the uncirculating oil around the bearings to burn to the bearings and in turn causes the 'coking'. If you allow the turbo to slow down by letting the car idle for a minute before shutting it off, then this had a lot less chance of happening because you are keeping the oil flow going around the bearings. So make sure you give yourself an extra couple minutes in the morning or wherever you go...It'll save the turbo in the long run. Oil changes around the 2500-3000 mile range can't hurt, but I wouldn't go too much past 3000 miles.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

^^ to help keep the car idle, you can invest in a brand named/ reliable self starting car alarm -- the viper 791xv allows a "turbo mode" to allow tuners to keep the car idleing for a selecatble amount of minutes

i figure that'd help cuz im usually in a hurry to get out of the car wherever i go.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, maybe a turbo timer...a lot cheaper than the Viper. It will allow your car to run for a set amount of time and then it shuts off by itself. The Viper has a lot more functions though ( i think). And the remote start is always nice. I don't know if the turbo timer does that.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I used the viper remote start on my xB as the turbo timer...great function and you can even adjust the time that the car runs for.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much does the viper alram cost? How long do people usually idle the car for to let the turbo slow down? and another two - When you get gauges for your car is there a difference in installation between the digital ones and the normal ones?
and since motor mounts reduce engine vibration would that potentialy help the turbo setup?
Old 01-22-2006, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the built in turbo timers (I have a code alarm and used to have a compustar) were 2 minutes no matter what.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I turbocharge my car I'm going to run the new Ingalls engine dampner. ZPI has had great success with this in upwards of 300hp. I have heard that using the engine dampner in conjunction with motor mounts would eliminate pretty much any movement altogether so I might conisder that although it seems like it owuld be overkill.

My main concern is winter tuning. Any info on that topic would be helpful.

Quick Reply: A few turbo maintanance questions