Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

FIC ?: intercept or tap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FIC ?: intercept or tap?

As some of you are aware, I've had nothing but problems with the FIC distorting my crk and cam signals. I was searching the AEM forums yesterday and found a a new thread asking my old question regarding which AEM wiring diagram is correct. The old AEM FIC instructions said to intercept the crk and cam grounds. AEM's latest "revised" instructions say to tap the grounds with magi- and leave mago- disconnected. I've asked AEM about this numerous times and the answer has always been the same; "Try one method and if it doesn't work try the other". Crystal clear, eh?

Anyway, AEM tech "SV" states in this new thread that crk and cam should be intercepted for 90% of the cars they've tested and that is why mago- leads are still present. WTF??? If this is true, why issue revised wiring instructions that say to tap instead of intercepting those grounds?

What I'd like to ask here is how did you wire your crk and cam sensors? Do you get random P0335 CELs? If you used a PnP harness, it was most likely made by Boomslang and they tell me that they've always tapped those grounds. I'm waiting to hear back from AEM but since they've steered me wrong so often in the past, I'd like to know how you wired your crk/cam inputs to the FIC and how well it worked. Did you need to install resistors between +/- to reduce the sensor signals? To me the ground tap method makes more sense but if the FIC has some weird internal ground noise issue, intercepting those grounds might help.

TIA
Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally tapping sounds better to me. if the stock ecu notices any voltage drop/change it will throw a cel. i say just tap the wire and then go from there. itll take 2 minutes to do.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tapping has been the only way on the tc - the sensors use a common ground. I think that may have been the stem of all your problems and possible other peoples? Tap both inputs for crank and cam (-) to the common ground wire than leave the (-) outputs disconnected.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres a diagram of how I have mine wired - which is working perfectly. This is the way it should be wired based on the cam and crank sensor designed used by Toyota. these ecu pin numbers are based on the 07+tc ecu - i dont know if the xb is the same or not.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sigh... I was hoping you guys would tell me to intercept the crk/cam grounds... I've had them tapped since day 1 and still get signal distortion from the FIC. I got a reply from SV (AEM forum tech) today. He said that he was mistaken when he said to intercept the gnds and recommends tapping them per AEM's revised instructions.

Back to square 1... again.

BTW, I assume that there is a drafting error in the diagram. The resistors are shown tapped between crk magi+ and cam magi- and cam magi+ to crk magi-. Since the TC uses a common gnd, it shouldn't matter. FWIW, the XB has separate gnd wires for crk and cam and I have them tapped separately. Crk- to crk- and cam- to cam-.

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of taps did you use? t taps? or did you strip the wire some and solder?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Boomslang harness and all connections are soldered and shrink-tubed.