Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Finally got on a Dyno....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Finally got on a Dyno....

didn't make what I thought I was going to.... only did 3rd gear pulls. Will be getting my water meth put on and doing another run, 4th gear pulls next month and we'll see where its at....

Saving my dough for the TT replacement for the disgusting ZPI manifold and a different turbo (SBR Bastard 20G).
Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

niice #s
Old 12-08-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

3rd gear will read lower in a tC. you need to dyno it in its 1:1 gear, which is 4th.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
3rd gear will read lower in a tC. you need to dyno it in its 1:1 gear, which is 4th.

thats the second time I heard that today..... I wasn't aware going into the dyno. I found out afterwards. There were only 2 of us with tC's there, everything else was all honda and 240's..... I'll get it again next month.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

good numbers anyways man. i know what you mean about the zpi manifold. f those f'ers
Old 12-09-2007, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the dyno shot didn't know to dyno it in 4th gear.......?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 AM
SL Member

Good numbers so far
Old 12-09-2007, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually that would be the opposite. In 3rd it's going to show more power than what it is really putting to the wheels. Technically you couldnt get a 1:1 reading (as far as what the wheels see.) anyways, because gearing. If your motor was directly connected to the wheels at 2-3k rpm you would be going well over 200mph, that's where gearing comes into play.

but yes gearing wise it's going to be closer to like .9XX:1 in 4th... the most realistic reading.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by FireStorm
So the dyno shot didn't know to dyno it in 4th gear.......?

nope.... trust me, I think I was probably the only toyota product they have seen in a long time.... there wasn't anything but honda's and 240's as far as the eye could see.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:08 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

also, dont forget, you cant compare one dyno's number to another. Yes they should be CLOSE. But you can dyno on 3 different dynos in one day. They can all show different numbers. And most people will say the one that read higher is the right one.

But in reality, THEY ARE ALL RIGHT. Its just a matter of how they were calibrated.
What is important in a dyno, is consistancy on the same dyno. So using a dyno for a base run, then another run with the mods to see the difference.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Finally got on a Dyno....

Originally Posted by yeldak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en0_5IAiqMQ

didn't make what I thought I was going to.... only did 3rd gear pulls. Will be getting my water meth put on and doing another run, 4th gear pulls next month and we'll see where its at....

Saving my dough for the TT replacement for the disgusting ZPI manifold and a different turbo (SBR Bastard 20G).
Hey! I have the same kit and got 265hp (flywheel) and 293lb/ft torque. This is on 11.5psi which is a little disappointing

I thought they advertised the same # at 8psi previously. Mine's auto though...

Yes, I have talked to Todd but recently couldn't get hold of him, he hasn't replied my email yet..... I guess he's busy right now.

I have a leaky manifold (damn ZPI) and I'm hoping to change out and get todd's new manifold to replace it. Perhaps after that, the power #s would be much better. And yes, the 20G SBR sounds awesome, I'll look into it as well for mid-top end explosive acceleration from a roll
Old 12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
Actually that would be the opposite. In 3rd it's going to show more power than what it is really putting to the wheels. Technically you couldnt get a 1:1 reading (as far as what the wheels see.) anyways, because gearing. If your motor was directly connected to the wheels at 2-3k rpm you would be going well over 200mph, that's where gearing comes into play.

but yes gearing wise it's going to be closer to like .9XX:1 in 4th... the most realistic reading.
Thats why i did a pull in third and made 220 WHP @ 7 PSI, then did a pull in 4th immediatly afterwards and made 250 WHP ?

Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC

Thats why i did a pull in third and made 220 WHP @ 7 PSI, then did a pull in 4th immediatly afterwards and made 250 WHP ?

Just going to leave it at... @ you.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sleepermod

Hey! I have the same kit and got 265hp (flywheel) and 293lb/ft torque. This is on 11.5psi which is a little disappointing

Yes, I have talked to Todd but recently couldn't get hold of him, he hasn't replied my email yet..... I guess he's busy right now.

I have a leaky manifold (damn ZPI) and I'm hoping to change out and get todd's new manifold to replace it. Perhaps after that, the power #s would be much better. And yes, the 20G SBR sounds awesome, I'll look into it as well for mid-top end explosive acceleration from a roll
i have the same kit as well ... and at 14psi i made 292hp and 333tq at the wheels. i was disappointed of course... but mainly the manifold design is the problem. sooo thats why im upgrading the manifold and the exhaust system over the winter hopefully to get a good foothold on the 300's hp ...

i upgraded the turbo tho and let me suggest that you invest money in that. i felt a HUGE (and i mean TREMENDOUS difference) when i went to a quality turbo that actually flowed a lot of cfm's unlike that 16g.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I'm pretty sure my GF got me the snow stage 2 w/m injection. If she didn't, I'm sendin her @$$ packin.... that combined with the new turbo, mani should put me above 300. I'm also keeping an eye out for another engine........ just going to go all out at some point... considering going back to Iraq again to finance this whole ordeal... BTW I'm @ 10 psi.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enrique9876
Originally Posted by sleepermod

i have the same kit as well ... and at 14psi i made 292hp and 333tq at the wheels. i was disappointed of course... but mainly the manifold design is the problem. sooo thats why im upgrading the manifold and the exhaust system over the winter hopefully to get a good foothold on the 300's hp ...

i upgraded the turbo tho and let me suggest that you invest money in that. i felt a HUGE (and i mean TREMENDOUS difference) when i went to a quality turbo that actually flowed a lot of cfm's unlike that 16g.
Damn, thats some good #s there Did you do 14psi with water/meth injection + stock block? Now you've made me itchy lol... I was hoping to use the kit + todd's manifold till next year April then upgrade to the GT28RS package.

I noticed you are using the GT30R turbine now, any comments on how this stacks up against the previous 16g? I mean, besides the obvious better flow at top end...

Great work + upgrade results
Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sleepermod>>> the numbers were actually a little disappointing for me, i was hoping to be well into the 300's but then again i have almost nothing done to the exhaust (2.5in dp, 2.5spipe, stock mid, greddy axelback)... im getting the ptuning exhaust and hopefully a 3in dp and with any luck that will free up a bit of power.

i am on deatsch 550cc inj. (ZPI) and a completely stock block my afr's and consistantly low 11's ... no i dont have water/meth injection but i am considering it for the near future. to be perfectly honest with you todds kit looks GREAT. but i am not sure you will be happy with a gt28... after driving on the 16g and then upgrading to the gt30 i came to realize the displacement of our motor almost DEMANDS a larger turbo. to maximize the money you are putting in DEFINITELY opt for the gt30... i am at full boost by 3k ish as opposed to 2500 but so what... the pull of the car makes for an AWESOME street car. i love it and suggest the turbo upgrade to any serious driver. (driver not racer ... the car has a great feel to it now)

i will definitely let EVERYONE know about the differences between the manifolds and the exhaust set ups once i am on the dyno... hopefully i will have all this info ready by early/mid january.

sorry about the thread jack. hopefully there is some usual info somewhere in there though.

PS fuel system is completely stock but i will be upgrading over winter. i have components coming for the motor build but thats looking like spring 08.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sleepermod>>> the numbers were actually a little disappointing for me, i was hoping to be well into the 300's but then again i have almost nothing done to the exhaust (2.5in dp, 2.5spipe, stock mid, greddy axelback)... im getting the ptuning exhaust and hopefully a 3in dp and with any luck that will free up a bit of power.

i am on deatsch 550cc inj. (ZPI) and a completely stock block my afr's and consistantly low 11's ... no i dont have water/meth injection but i am considering it for the near future. to be perfectly honest with you todds kit looks GREAT. but i am not sure you will be happy with a gt28... after driving on the 16g and then upgrading to the gt30 i came to realize the displacement of our motor almost DEMANDS a larger turbo. to maximize the money you are putting in DEFINITELY opt for the gt30... i am at full boost by 3k ish as opposed to 2500 but so what... the pull of the car makes for an AWESOME street car. i love it and suggest the turbo upgrade to any serious driver. (driver not racer ... the car has a great feel to it now)

i will definitely let EVERYONE know about the differences between the manifolds and the exhaust set ups once i am on the dyno... hopefully i will have all this info ready by early/mid january.

sorry about the thread jack. hopefully there is some usual info somewhere in there though.

PS fuel system is completely stock but i will be upgrading over winter. i have components coming for the motor build but thats looking like spring 08.
Looks like I've got to revisit my 'Disco Potato' plan..... GT30 aye? Would this be the GT3071R?

Wonder whats the flow and efficiency differences btw the two? Any idea enrique? or let me rephrase this : what made you go with the GT30 instead of GT28?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ its actually a precision turbo housing (thats how i got it flanged mitsu instead of t3) but it has real garrett internals of course.

i decided on the gt30r because my plans for the build exceeded 300whp. the way i have it understood is that the gt28r falls out of its efficiency range just past 300whp (even though the garrett site claims otherwise).... so the obvious choice was the gt30r.

also the optimal motor displacement for a gt30r turbo is 1.8l to 3.0l ............... and what is smack dab in the middle of that range?

2.4L

thats how i decided
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

i am at full boost by 3k ish as opposed to 2500 but so what... the pull of the car makes for an AWESOME street car.

500 rpm can be the difference between winning and loosing. Tunning plays a part in your dyno numbers just as much if not MORE than the mods you have to go along with the kit. Different dyno's on different days will yeild you sometimes less and sometimes more, hence the reason why I don't pride on reaching a certain "magical whp" number.

Quick Reply: Finally got on a Dyno....