Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Finally got on a Dyno....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enrique9876
^^^ its actually a precision turbo housing (thats how i got it flanged mitsu instead of t3) but it has real garrett internals of course.

i decided on the gt30r because my plans for the build exceeded 300whp. the way i have it understood is that the gt28r falls out of its efficiency range just past 300whp (even though the garrett site claims otherwise).... so the obvious choice was the gt30r.

also the optimal motor displacement for a gt30r turbo is 1.8l to 3.0l ............... and what is smack dab in the middle of that range?

2.4L

thats how i decided
Intelligent research...... the 16g produces 550CFM at 22psi? and we mostly intend to boost 10-12psi max for stock internals, so thats half.

If the GT28RS/30R is choosen, it would probably give you much better efficiency at 10-12psi with lesser back pressure created at hot side.

Of course I also read that the spool time would again be alittle slower if compared to a 16g (since inducer/exducer are smaller). But I suppose the gap difference or spool time can be reduced if you use a EL manifold as the exhaust pulses from the runners would be more consistent (pulses line up one after another) and converge at the collector, thus driving the turbine wheels faster + the fact that the CHRA is ball-bearing......

Yes, I think you are right Enrique.... The GT series would be a overall better choice even if you do not boost above 12psi + it gives you room to grow in the power department after beefing up the internals.

Good work and info to save me dough in the long run
Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sleepermod
But I suppose the gap difference or spool time can be reduced if you use a EL manifold as the exhaust pulses from the runners would be more consistent (pulses line up one after another) and converge at the collector, thus driving the turbine wheels faster + the fact that the CHRA is ball-bearing......

I actually came across research articles stating that EL manifolds will spool a turbo slower than a log style mani.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
i am at full boost by 3k ish as opposed to 2500 but so what... the pull of the car makes for an AWESOME street car.

500 rpm can be the difference between winning and loosing. Tunning plays a part in your dyno numbers just as much if not MORE than the mods you have to go along with the kit. Different dyno's on different days will yeild you sometimes less and sometimes more, hence the reason why I don't pride on reaching a certain "magical whp" number.
i agree to a certain extent (the car with the most hp doesnt always win the race) but i also made it pretty clear that i found it to be a great DRIVER mod (for the feel you know?) i think i even said not a racing mod...... unless you build the head and such....

also ive driven both turbos at 14psi and the 16g I FELT "fell" off later in the RPM band and the gt30 keeps me pinned to 6200.

again im only going by feel obviously i never raced my car with the 16g and the 30r at the track so i cant give you accurate numbers about my car at 14psi
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

i am at full boost by 3k ish as opposed to 2500 but so what... the pull of the car makes for an AWESOME street car.

500 rpm can be the difference between winning and loosing. Tunning plays a part in your dyno numbers just as much if not MORE than the mods you have to go along with the kit. Different dyno's on different days will yeild you sometimes less and sometimes more, hence the reason why I don't pride on reaching a certain "magical whp" number.
i agree to a certain extent (the car with the most hp doesnt always win the race) but i also made it pretty clear that i found it to be a great DRIVER mod (for the feel you know?) i think i even said not a racing mod...... unless you build the head and such....

also ive driven both turbos at 14psi and the 16g I FELT "fell" off later in the RPM band and the gt30 keeps me pinned to 6200.

again im only going by feel obviously i never raced my car with the 16g and the 30r at the track so i cant give you accurate numbers about my car at 14psi

Yeah I know the butt dyno can feel different. But when you actually put them down the track, I can assure you that the 1/4 mile times are going to be within tenths of a second difference (with the 16G perhaps coming out on top), I guess people have a different preference in things. They either want it on the low end, or on the top end. They kinda cancel each other, one spools earlier but falls off at the top, and the other turbo is the opposite, a little later on the bottom end, and pulls harder up top.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sleepermod
^^^ its actually a precision turbo housing (thats how i got it flanged mitsu instead of t3) but it has real garrett internals of course.

i decided on the gt30r because my plans for the build exceeded 300whp. the way i have it understood is that the gt28r falls out of its efficiency range just past 300whp (even though the garrett site claims otherwise).... so the obvious choice was the gt30r.

also the optimal motor displacement for a gt30r turbo is 1.8l to 3.0l ............... and what is smack dab in the middle of that range?

2.4L

thats how i decided
Intelligent research...... the 16g produces 550CFM at 22psi? and we mostly intend to boost 10-12psi max for stock internals, so thats half.

If the GT28RS/30R is choosen, it would probably give you much better efficiency at 10-12psi with lesser back pressure created at hot side.

Of course I also read that the spool time would again be alittle slower if compared to a 16g (since inducer/exducer are smaller). But I suppose the gap difference or spool time can be reduced if you use a EL manifold as the exhaust pulses from the runners would be more consistent (pulses line up one after another) and converge at the collector, thus driving the turbine wheels faster + the fact that the CHRA is ball-bearing......

Yes, I think you are right Enrique.... The GT series would be a overall better choice even if you do not boost above 12psi + it gives you room to grow in the power department after beefing up the internals.

Good work and info to save me dough in the long run
im glad i could be of some help

yea i have heard that the EL style helps with spool up and the ball bearing DEFINITELY will help ... as far as what rhythmnsmoke said im just going by what ive heard but id definitely like to see that link to check that research out. either way im sure there are LOTS of factors affecting spool. motor displacement, flow, turbo, manifold, DP (exhaust) etc.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Found it.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html

For some reason I thought I read somewhere about the log style spooling faster. I thought it was here, but guess not...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found it.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html

For some reason I thought I read somewhere about the log style spooling faster. I thought it was here, but guess not...
Yes RnS, I did remember reading it somewhere that the log manifold was supposed to produce the fastest spool of all manifold designs.... but I can't recall where....

Funny it feels like we were both under the ZPI Hocus Pocus Mambo Jumbo VooDoo trance when we read about log manifold advantages

I think I'll hit up Google for log manifold to check...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remember readign that somewher to, but I don't know if it was the log style or the fact that log styles inharently have shorter runners that cause the quicker spooling.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^I think that perhaps is the answer.