Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Finished my Turbonetics Install *PIX PAGE 3*

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrHer0
Originally Posted by smallblockurs10
ckeck your clamps i had to go over mine 2 times i think to get them all tight, some are pretty hard to get too
Yea I did that today, I had a loose tube off the BOV, tightened that up, but still had the issue... Then I got my set of Deep Sockets in the mail today and was able to tighten all of the intercooler piping clamps! Still have the sound

Is the sound a "bad" sound? I mean, you are going to hear sounds you have never heard before because now you are boosted. If the car is not doing DRASTIC stuff like shutting off, stalling, smoking, etc...then it could just be a normal turbo tC sound. It's very hard to grasp a remedy for a particular "sound". Unless you get a video or something.

Here is one idea you can do though, if you haven't done it yet. If I were to hear a weird sound coming from the engine, I would sit at the house, pop the hood, and just have a friend or family member rev it up a few times with different pedal pressure (slowly raise rpms, quick throttle blip..etc), to see if I can detect where the particular noise is coming from.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by smallblockurs10
ckeck your clamps i had to go over mine 2 times i think to get them all tight, some are pretty hard to get too
Yea I did that today, I had a loose tube off the BOV, tightened that up, but still had the issue... Then I got my set of Deep Sockets in the mail today and was able to tighten all of the intercooler piping clamps! Still have the sound

Is the sound a "bad" sound? I mean, you are going to hear sounds you have never heard before because now you are boosted. If the car is not doing DRASTIC stuff like shutting off, stalling, smoking, etc...then it could just be a normal turbo tC sound. It's very hard to grasp a remedy for a particular "sound". Unless you get a video or something.

Here is one idea you can do though, if you haven't done it yet. If I were to hear a weird sound coming from the engine, I would sit at the house, pop the hood, and just have a friend or family member rev it up a few times with different pedal pressure (slowly raise rpms, quick throttle blip..etc), to see if I can detect where the particular noise is coming from.
Yea, It may just be a good sound The only problem with sitting in the driveway idea is that the turbo doesnt make any noise with no load, and the BOV does nothing. I'm gonna go pickup some NGK BKR8EIX plugs, the idiot at Kragen thought the lower the number the colder the plug, f'ing idiot...

thanks!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Low port on WG goes to the turbo housing and the upper port is left untouched. Set plugs to .035.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The only problem with sitting in the driveway idea is that the turbo doesnt make any noise with no load, and the BOV does nothing.

Mine does... I can open the wastegate, and make the Bov sound just by reving it sitting still....but...different kit, different specs. :shrug:
Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

different transmission.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
different transmission.
ahh..good call D, I didn't notice. Can't speak on an auto tc's behalf, but I would still say it was worth the try to open the hood, and poke around while the car is on. Not hurting to take a look.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Old 12-14-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hope you get everything running good! After that, time for dyno!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same issue with the few 100 rpm bouncing. its kinda annoying but it seems to be part of my setup. i dont think the tc likes being turbo'd but it sure reacts well to the gas being stomped. also you might be running too rich as what i think my problem is.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got A/T turbo but's it's a ZPI-kit my idle is steady and does not bounce around at all. How low does your A/T want to idle at? My car idles in the 700-800 RPM range if I remember. I notice once in a blue-moon the idle goes up just a hair -but it must be some accessory that is jucing up like fan, A/C compressor or alternator.

ECU controlls injectors at idle so it should not run rich during idle - If the car vibrates at idle mayb you fouled your plugs -idle is going to be crap and so will your acceleration.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ERIC-TC
I've got A/T turbo but's it's a ZPI-kit my idle is steady and does not bounce around at all. How low does your A/T want to idle at? My car idles in the 700-800 RPM range if I remember. I notice once in a blue-moon the idle goes up just a hair -but it must be some accessory that is jucing up like fan, A/C compressor or alternator.

ECU controlls injectors at idle so it should not run rich during idle - If the car vibrates at idle mayb you fouled your plugs -idle is going to be crap and so will your acceleration.
My car tries to idle at 550-700, it bounces between those two numbers, more on the higher side of 550, maybe 575

I have noticed that the car vibrates sometimes... I am still running stock plugs, no stores had the NGK BKR8's so I had to special order them on the net.

I hope that the plugs will eliminate some of my issues.

I am still concerned with whistling sound... It kinda sounds like a whining sound... kinda scares me a bit, if you can imagine air leaking from a tight hole, you can imagine the sound that it is making, I will try to record it and get a clip up, not sure if it is loud enough though.

There is also kinda a toasty smell still when I turn off the car or come to a stop for a minute, I have put almost 200miles on the turbo so far, so all that original smell should be gone right?

thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the car want's to idle at 550RPM's it means there is an air leak somewhere. Basically the car want's to die but the ECU detects this and raises the RPM's.

You can simulate this same condition if you pull one of the vaccum hoses off the car and partially pinch it to create a leak.

I get the toasty smell too it's just the heat from the turbo.
The smell is noticeable especially at the beginning.

How many miles on your car? Do you have the stock mid-pipe? After 3 month of boost my secondary cat was starting to plug up. Keep that in the back of your mind, you will probably end up replacing it and/or going with an off-road style mid-pipe before it's all said and done.

I had an air-leak at the injectors. I replaced all the o-rings and the bottom rubber injector isolators and the car idle went up a little.

Check all the crank-case ventilation hoses and for leaks near the MAF sensor. They sell this MAF cleaner in a can at the auto parts. Sometimes the oil from the air-filters contaminates the sensor and makes the car idle rough.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some quick factoids on the scion tC: Base idle speed:. Manual, 650-750 rpm; Automatic, 610-710 rpm.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

This morning I went down to my garage and tightened up all the fittings and clamps and all that good stuff.

I shortened the silicone vacuum tube running off the BOV because i noticed in the pictures it was short and I had mine kinda long. I dont think it really makes a difference but I did it anyway

There were a couple of clamps that were loose, for instance the one on the ventilation hose on the crank. Tightened that up.

I also tightened the MAF on to the Intake, that was a little loose on one side.

All of this has not solved my problem though.

When I first turned on the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes, It was idling around 700 consistently and I was happy to see this. I went for about a 20mile ride and parked me car and let it idle in park for a minute and was unhappy to see that it was bouncing between 550-650 like every second, it would go up, down, up, down, up, etc.
I did not have any Accessories(A/C) on or anything.

Also when I accelerate still I have that whistling whining sound.. It wont happen at lets say 40% throttle, but as soon as you get in the 70-80% throttle range you start to hear it...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
i have the same issue with the few 100 rpm bouncing. its kinda annoying but it seems to be part of my setup. i dont think the tc likes being turbo'd but it sure reacts well to the gas being stomped. also you might be running too rich as what i think my problem is.

My guess is spark plugs that cause the bouncing. Our does the same, but only on start up, and goes away after you spool the turbo the first time.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

My guess is spark plugs that cause the bouncing. Our does the same, but only on start up, and goes away after you spool the turbo the first time.
Seems I am having the exact opposite then... Mine ran smooth at start and ran bouncy after spooling during my drive

I'm really hoping when I get my NGK Iridium BKR8EIX plugs in that some of these idle issues will dissipate
Old 12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems I am having the exact opposite then... Mine ran smooth at start and ran bouncy after spooling during my drive

I'm really hoping when I get my NGK Iridium BKR8EIX plugs in that some of these idle issues will dissipate
Why not regap the stock iridium plugs to .035 and be done with it already?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Schuller

Why not regap the stock iridium plugs to .035 and be done with it already?
I am kinda skeptical about re-gapping the stock plugs, they are my only option right now to have my car working semi-properly.

Should I really attempt to right now?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i dont know if this is gonna help or not but the sound that you described as air going through a small hole, wolud be the throtle body, the reason i say i dont know if its going to help is becuase mine is na, and when i accelerate on the throttle i get that same whistle sound, a large amount of drivers i have talked to said they hear the sound when they drive. no dealer knows why the intake does this but its just the butterfly opening and creating a hole small enough to make that sound, so all in all it is air running through a small hole, once again it does not do it under hard acceleration only when i drive softly, i wouldnt even worry about it as long as your smokin or makn some horrific sounds.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by blackcherrytc813
i dont know if this is gonna help or not but the sound that you described as air going through a small hole, wolud be the throtle body, the reason i say i dont know if its going to help is becuase mine is na, and when i accelerate on the throttle i get that same whistle sound, a large amount of drivers i have talked to said they hear the sound when they drive. no dealer knows why the intake does this but its just the butterfly opening and creating a hole small enough to make that sound, so all in all it is air running through a small hole, once again it does not do it under hard acceleration only when i drive softly, i wouldnt even worry about it as long as your smokin or makn some horrific sounds.
Yea, I had a K&N CAI before this turbo, and I know the sound you are talking about, this is quite a bit different than that...

The only thing I can think, is if it is directly related to the throttle body butterfly, maybe the sound is different cuz of the pressure difference from the CAI and the Turbo...

Quick Reply: Finished my Turbonetics Install *PIX PAGE 3*