Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Finished my Turbonetics Install *PIX PAGE 3*

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip. I decreased the gap by tapping the plug on a hammer head untill I reached .035. If you go to far you can reverse it by pulling on the tip with long nose pliers. Woks well. You need to double check and maybe regapped your pregapped plugs you ordered as well.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrHer0
This morning I went down to my garage and tightened up all the fittings and clamps and all that good stuff.

I shortened the silicone vacuum tube running off the BOV because i noticed in the pictures it was short and I had mine kinda long. I dont think it really makes a difference but I did it anyway

There were a couple of clamps that were loose, for instance the one on the ventilation hose on the crank. Tightened that up.

I also tightened the MAF on to the Intake, that was a little loose on one side.

All of this has not solved my problem though.

When I first turned on the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes, It was idling around 700 consistently and I was happy to see this. I went for about a 20mile ride and parked me car and let it idle in park for a minute and was unhappy to see that it was bouncing between 550-650 like every second, it would go up, down, up, down, up, etc.
I did not have any Accessories(A/C) on or anything.

Also when I accelerate still I have that whistling whining sound.. It wont happen at lets say 40% throttle, but as soon as you get in the 70-80% throttle range you start to hear it...

The lower than normal bouncing of 550-650 from experience, it was involving the tune on the car. I think what you are describing is a common trait with boost on the tC as far as bouncing, but not bouncing that low. Our car does this, but as I told pollup, it goes away the first time you spool the turbo. It comes and goes, and only comes only on car starts. After that first spool, it idles around 6xx - 7xx. The difference between your setup, and the people trying to help, is that we all have upgraded plugs.

As for the sound, could your BOV be leaking under boost?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could try soldering the injector clip on instead of crimping them on. This has solved some rough idle and misfire code problems.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
This morning I went down to my garage and tightened up all the fittings and clamps and all that good stuff.

I shortened the silicone vacuum tube running off the BOV because i noticed in the pictures it was short and I had mine kinda long. I dont think it really makes a difference but I did it anyway

There were a couple of clamps that were loose, for instance the one on the ventilation hose on the crank. Tightened that up.

I also tightened the MAF on to the Intake, that was a little loose on one side.

All of this has not solved my problem though.

When I first turned on the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes, It was idling around 700 consistently and I was happy to see this. I went for about a 20mile ride and parked me car and let it idle in park for a minute and was unhappy to see that it was bouncing between 550-650 like every second, it would go up, down, up, down, up, etc.
I did not have any Accessories(A/C) on or anything.

Also when I accelerate still I have that whistling whining sound.. It wont happen at lets say 40% throttle, but as soon as you get in the 70-80% throttle range you start to hear it...

The lower than normal bouncing of 550-650 from experience, it was involving the tune on the car. I think what you are describing is a common trait with boost on the tC as far as bouncing, but not bouncing that low. Our car does this, but as I told pollup, it goes away the first time you spool the turbo. It comes and goes, and only comes only on car starts. After that first spool, it idles around 6xx - 7xx. The difference between your setup, and the people trying to help, is that we all have upgraded plugs.

As for the sound, could your BOV be leaking under boost?
How can I check if the BOV is leaking if my BOV does nothing when the car is sitting still?.. That seems like a reasonable explanation, it sounds like a leak, and coming from that general area...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK let me jump in here real quick. Sorry I have been MIA on the boards lately but work has been freaking ridiculous. Couple things on this car. First do you have a boost gauge? If you don't I highly recommend getting one immediately. That being said it sounds like you might have the BOV hooked up wrong. The pressure signal from the throttle body tee should be going to the upper port of the BOV. There are two I'm talking about the one closest to the red Turbonetics logo at the top. If its not you are simply venting the boosted air right back into the compressor and essentially making next to no boost (3 PSI max). This would cause the exact issue you described above. You should also verify you installed the O2 extender on the SECOND O2 sensor not the primary. If you have a boost gauge what is your vacuum reading at idle? Also what is your peak boost reading and how soon are you hitting peak boost?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
OK let me jump in here real quick. Sorry I have been MIA on the boards lately but work has been freaking ridiculous. Couple things on this car. First do you have a boost gauge? If you don't I highly recommend getting one immediately. That being said it sounds like you might have the BOV hooked up wrong. The pressure signal from the throttle body tee should be going to the upper port of the BOV. There are two I'm talking about the one closest to the red Turbonetics logo at the top. If its not you are simply venting the boosted air right back into the compressor and essentially making next to no boost (3 PSI max). This would cause the exact issue you described above. You should also verify you installed the O2 extender on the SECOND O2 sensor not the primary. If you have a boost gauge what is your vacuum reading at idle? Also what is your peak boost reading and how soon are you hitting peak boost?
The BOV is hooked up correctly, I have the Vacuum line from the Top Port of the BOV going to the T-Fitting installed on the Vacuum line of the Throttle Body.

I for sure have the O2 Extender on the 2nd one, I'm no idiot

I apologize for not being able to answer the Boost Gauge Question, I will be able to within the next few days... The gauges I ordered got Back-ordered and I am still without them. I am having my AFR installed in the next day or so.

MIAPLAYA, anything supposed to go in any of the other fittings of the Wastegate or BOV? (Top port of Wastegate and Bottom port of BOV?)

Thanks for all the help.

As well, I re-gapped the stock plugs to .035 today. It seems it may have fixed my idling problems, but I have yet to test it thoroughly.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if regapping works for you im gonna attempt that route. when i initally start my car it does not bounce but by the time i get out there to get in and drive away i get the bounce. i have upgraded plugs, but i did not gap them. i left them as they were. i have been throughout under the hood of my car and i cannot detect a leak. now one thing i have changed was the vacuum line coming out of the intake manifold (the one that usually goes to the valve cover) i have that line run into my vacuum dist block. i think im going to disconnect it and see if it makes a difference. originally that line was plugged and hanging as per zpi (crank case ventilation). so we will see what that does.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The BOV is hooked up correctly, I have the Vacuum line from the Top Port of the BOV going to the T-Fitting installed on the Vacuum line of the Throttle Body.

I for sure have the O2 Extender on the 2nd one, I'm no idiot

I apologize for not being able to answer the Boost Gauge Question, I will be able to within the next few days... The gauges I ordered got Back-ordered and I am still without them. I am having my AFR installed in the next day or so.

MIAPLAYA, anything supposed to go in any of the other fittings of the Wastegate or BOV? (Top port of Wastegate and Bottom port of BOV?)

Thanks for all the help.

As well, I re-gapped the stock plugs to .035 today. It seems it may have fixed my idling problems, but I have yet to test it thoroughly.
Ok all this sounds fine... Nothing goes in the unused ports. Your current setup is fine... If the plug gaps didn't help I would have suggested possibly soldering the the injector pig tails onto the stock harness to eliminate potential high impedance connections...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I took some pics tonight, most are redundant, but some are in better lighting.

This was all done by me, I tried and so far it has been working great for about 1.5weeks now.

Hooray!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Congrats. You appreciate it a lot more since you did all the install. Now get that Unichip tuned!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
Congrats. You appreciate it a lot more since you did all the install. Now get that Unichip tuned!
wish I knew a place around San Diego that can do a good tune :/

I will call around I guess.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

PLEASE DO! I cannot stress how much it sucks to do all that work and have it be trashed over a tune. I've been through it. MIAPLAYA can help you locate a tuner
Old 01-11-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought t'netics was PnP cuz of the provided unichip...
but u still need tuning??
Old 01-11-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive been running the stock 8psi tune from day one. Runs great even in 30 degree temps.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice pixs. did you hit the Dyno yet? I might be getting T-netics turbo kit soon also. I don't know yet. time will tell which kit I will be getting soon.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I don't know if you are still getting that whistling noise but. I had it on my zpi kit noticed it, didnt think much about it, then a few days ago i stood on the gas and popped off the charge pipe...of course the motor stalled and i pulled into a gas station, re-tightened it, got home and put a knew t-bolt clamp on, went for another drive and bam, whistles gone..I'd just check all your couplers and such
Old 01-11-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Congrats on the install!! I would be very proud of myself if i did that. And ur running A/T as am i, turbonetics stage 1 is in the near future for me. Im going to san diego in july for couple weeks hopefully i can attend some meets over there, to bad i wont have my scion tho
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you need a tuner in the SD area I would head up to Danzio Performance in Lake Eslinore. Outstanding tuner. www.danzioperformance.com