Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

FrozenBoost Water to Air (TW) ***Updated with PICS***

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FrozenBoost Water to Air (TW) ***Updated with PICS***

EDIT: PICS Page 3

Their are several boosted tC's in ScionLife with a majority running front mount intercoolers. I have chosen that path before, but want to explore the world of liquid intercooling...

Although an often highly debated subject, water to air has been the choice I have made on my project. As many of you may be aware, their are several companies that offer Liquid Intercooler setups which can be utilized by tC owners. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term water to air, it refers to the use of water as the basis of extracting heat from the incoming air charge. Water has many benefits, mainly its ability to reduce IAT to below ambient air.

Some tC owners have chosen the liquid intercooler route. The main concern of mine, is not heat soak, its more based on cost. PWR and Bell are excellent choices however cost near a thousand to implement. For those of you who have researched for something for a cheaper alternative, Frozenboost.com may be our answer.

FrozenBoost.com offers several water to air kits with several different intercooler options. Many of us may have visited their website, yet have heard nothing about their reliability, their craftsmanship, or their efficiency. I am going to test the systems I purchase and verify their functionality and post the results. I am purchasing the 350HP Long Flow Barrel Style Intercooler with Heat Exchanger, Bousch Pump, SlimFan, and Piping kit. If anyone has any further information about FrozenBoost.com, please provide it. I have searched online for days and have not found much information.

FrozenBoost Test Car:
Intercooler Inlet Temp: 304F
Intercooler Outlet Temp: 77F
www.frozenboost.com

Hopefully I will achieve the same results as the test car! Wish me luck and I will keep you all posted.....
Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

how soon do you plan on doing this? deff interested
Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

im definitely interested on different intercooler setups on the tc, there was a thread before but didnt see much setup other than air to water and air to air
Old 04-05-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am planning on purchasing the intercooler set up this week, unless someone on this forum has had negative results with their products. I am hoping to evaluate the core, the welds, the efficiency. I can test the former before the latter since my car will not be completed until mid May.

I have contacted the company on several occasions and asked them to extend their warranty beyond 90 days however they believe that this is "industry standard." If anyone has dealt with them, let me know. They are the same company that owns SiliconeIntakes.com
Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I haven't dealt with them in asking for anything like that, but I did purchase products through them. Good company Got them when I said I would.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want to do something like this its a very good idea i would run a resivore in the back say 5 gallons unless its a drag setup
Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would love to run the drag set up with the reservoirs in the back, and I may do so in the future, however I'm on a budget with this turbo build. If I can save some costs, then definitely. HEYitzMEE, good to hear that they are good people, and their products suffice.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no pressure drop quicker spool well some drop but not much
Old 04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i just looked at the site.....looks very promising....this should be a really neat project...with their base kit you can also add the ice box reservoir for an extra 99 bux...id go for that if i could.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the website through me off a bit. Its not the best, but they are focusing on quality, not marketing as I have been told. The reservoir is $99 for sure, but then the hoses back their are extra as well, and the fittings!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raptorsp123
Yeah, the website through me off a bit. Its not the best, but they are focusing on quality, not marketing as I have been told. The reservoir is $99 for sure, but then the hoses back their are extra as well, and the fittings!
good eye...i didnt think about the extra hoses
Old 04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its like pc water cooling lol i like it im interested.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im plannin gon going air to water also - one big thing for daily from what ive found talking to alot of the subi guys that use a2w is to have a decent size resevoir to aid in cooling the water (around a gallon) and a decently large heat exchange - and the big thing is to have your loop setup like this - Intercooler out -> Resevoir -> Pump -> Heat Exchanger -> Intercooler in - this allows the resevoir to aid in cooling the water - im looking at using the same kit except using the straight through intercooler and this heat exchanger

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...7e0aa964ebea99

Also adding a fan or two to aid in keeping the air moving at a stop should help a bit too
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldnt be happier with my PWR kit, just make sure you plan ahead with the CFM limits of your core. Im getting close to maxing mine out. But it deff keeps your temps much cooler and I dont even run a fan on mine. The nice thing about the PWR core being strait through I can run a "stage 0" type pipe and have minimal pipe travel for the boost.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thendawg, good to hear your exploring FrozenBoost as well so Im not alone!!! Your most definitely right about the reservoir. Im most likely just sticking with a gallon due to the amount of space availble. My intentions are to get the below listed intercooler:

Rozz-tC, good advice! I guess their is another person that can attest to liquid intercoolering!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

people should start posting pics of their setups now lol.. the only thing keeping me from getting one is that im so comfortable with how my setup fits and its a pain to remodify again but if i could find a new liquid to air thats fits as clean then i might get one
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have another idea to - but im gunna check with frozenboost on monday as to the capabilities of the rule 501fc pump. Im thinking about running a cooler mounted to the front bumper - the core you just showed ^ and a 5 gallon resevoir in the trunk area (where the spare was). Im also thinking of running a second pump to a second smaller heat exchanger to circulate/cool the water sitting in the tank (this heat exchanger would be mounted under the rear of the car). Its a bit of overkill - but i have a 5 gallon tank i could use - second 200 gph pump - and a decently sized tranny cooler i used to use sitting in the garage to build that part of the setup free hehe im just wondering if the rule pump - mounted at the front bumper - at the lowest part of the system - would have a problem moving the water or if id need a second rule pump at the tank.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
people should start posting pics of their setups now lol.. the only thing keeping me from getting one is that im so comfortable with how my setup fits and its a pain to remodify again but if i could find a new liquid to air thats fits as clean then i might get one

that gives you an idea, my pump is mounted under the battery tray, and the core's radiator is mounted on the bottom drivers side of the front bumper. I used a drop down bracket bolted to where the horn mounts. Im getting ready to switch the slip on barbed hoses with -an steel lines and add a icebox, currently i just have a weapon R overflow and a fill cap inline.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

thats pretty wicked bro....me likey...just needs paint....lol
Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah I am planning on upping the intake pipe size so im waiting for that to happen before i paint everything again.

Quick Reply: FrozenBoost Water to Air (TW) ***Updated with PICS***