Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Gauging interest in close ratio 6spd with LSD transaxles

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, LSD will fit stock tranny just fine.

Changing tranny's, final drive, etc, will not effect speedo as the MPH is taken from the ABS sensors

Odd that the differential still has a drive for a speedo on it when there is nothing engaging it

Rick
Old 02-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Banned
SL Member

Here's what I propose. You give me your tC, and for 30k, I will return it to you with a V-8, 325 hp, RWD, and a six speed transmission. For an extra 5k, my outfit can equip it with a convertible top. Furthermore, it will have a hood scoop and will be under warranty (though not by toyota).
Old 02-27-2006, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I am definetly interested in seeing a 6-speed w/ LSD in the tC. The biggest draw back I see with the tC is the fact that it didn't come with a 6-speed from the factory, especially with how high in the RPM range you are crusing down the highway in 5th.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
Changing tranny's, final drive, etc, will not effect speedo as the MPH is taken from the ABS sensors

Odd that the differential still has a drive for a speedo on it when there is nothing engaging it

Rick
Thanks for that info. Maybe there is a camry transmision in my future.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mrjamesbondwannabe,

Please do as I asked in the first thread and keep your silly comments to yourself. This thread is for hard core serious enthusiasts that have different values and priorities in life than you seem to portray. This that is part of what makes us individuals, without a few willing to push the evelope life would be pretty boring for us all;)

Rick
Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

io333,
Looks to be a direct drop in solution but be advised, it still has the crappy gear spread but at least 1st is not quite the tractor pull gear as in the tC version. The only difference in gearing is the final drive ratio.

Rick
Old 02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE:

I want to see about using as many stock parts as possible to help contain the cost on this mod.

BUT,

I just got off the phone with them, they do not just make gear kits, not in their business interest. They build upgraded systems mainly for race cars or very high performance street cars. What this means is they are not interested in working with the stock shafts unless they find them exceptionally well built. I explained to them the boxes are holding up well with some serious HP cars running slicks but they want to open up a box and do some testing on actual parts before making a decision to use either of the stock shafts, they could decide both have to be swapped out, ouch!

If they make the output shaft we could pick whatever final drive we want, within reason. And I believe they would be willing to do this per unit, nice option!

So, here we are, at least the output shaft must be changed, they can cut the new gears, 1-3rd being more critical for strength, semi helical instead of full helical so not as radical as straight cut gears, a nice balance between strength, noise, etc. The stock 4th and 5th gears may be fine if meet our numbers we want to see, they are strong enough most likely, saves some money.

I am sending all the technical data I can find, I have some great cut away drawings of our box, need one for the 6spd Matrix/Celica unit so they can see how things are done (nearly identical designed transaxles)

This way they can start getting an idea if only one shaft needs to be replaced to go to a 6spd. If so, then the extra cost should not be to bad over a 5spd since building a new shaft alreadly.

As for gearing:

My prefered choice would be to have it geared to match the average powerband of the 10 PSI turbo cars, which may be fine for the SC cars as well. This of course would require looking at a few dyno charts and we must consider the higher HP drag cars, etc, if we can find a solution we can all live with it is just possible we can do this

Rick
Old 02-27-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Good reading this far :thumbs up:
Old 02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

Mrjamesbondwannabe,

Please do as I asked in the first thread and keep your silly comments to yourself. This thread is for hard core serious enthusiasts that have different values and priorities in life than you seem to portray. This that is part of what makes us individuals, without a few willing to push the evelope life would be pretty boring for us all;)

Rick
I'm sorry I made a mockery of your thread, but I doubt you're going to find anyone who's willing to put up 5.5k to add a new transmission and LSD. Let's see what this would cost:

Stock tC = 16.3k
Delivery= 540
Tax/Fees= 1k
Forced Induction= 3k
Install= 500
New Tranny= 5.5k
Install= 500
Complete Intake and Exhaust Set Up= 1k
New Rims= 1.6k
New Tires= 800
New Suspension= 3k

We're looking at close to 34k here for a tC with no options. Buy a G35 coupe or an BMW 330. Either one would still be faster, less work, and, moreimportantly, retain its factory warranty. I guarantee that changing your transmission will result in a rejection of your warranty in the event of any powertrain problems.

Doesn't look like anyone has committed the down payment yet either.

How stupid will you feel if Toyota releases the rumored 250 hp, tC based Celica with a six speed?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending on time i would honestly be interested. People may not think there will be others but just think about those people who have already dropped close to 10gs on their car. Im sure thy are looking to keep this car long terms and in that case like me i would put down the money.

Like i said the only issue is when you would need this money. I get a hefty bonus every x-mas. I just dropped about 4500 on my car now and dont look to stop there just yet.

only problem is im only 1 person. i dont know who else would do this! hopefully we can get more people!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are at least three people who want in on this; don't feel left out.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think we have 4-5 now, of course wanting in and getting in are two different things so we will see how it goes.

The next step is about due, we need to get a transimission to them so they can break it down and see what they need to do.

The one they get will be put back together and a funtioning unit when done. I may buy one and send it there, maybe real soon

So, help me find a tC or Camry, low mileage unit, E350 or E351 for as low a price as possible.

Maybe I will have them do all the testing on that one, get it put together and send me the first one

Rick
Old 06-23-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hopefully everything goes well
Old 06-23-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gave up, not enough interested parties that can or will really do this, to much money and I fully understand.

I would however take this project on if we could get enough that will do it but not for awhile now as getting ready to move into a new house in Utah.

Rick
Old 06-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Banned
SL Member

Seems even being a hard core serious enthusiast wasn't enough to make this happen. The offer is still open though: your tC+30k for 325 hp, six speed, RWD (hood scoop too!).
Old 06-24-2006, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sometimes you have to learn when to change directions, realize you are not on the right path and spend your energy on something more promising.

I have alot more plans for our tC, alot more in the works now but the one thing I wanted more than anything was the CF roof which I have had for quite some time. I was willing to make a mold and build my own if I had to, that would of been a huge undertaking for one roof!

Rick
Old 06-24-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

carbon fiber roof?

really?
Old 06-25-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
Sometimes you have to learn when to change directions, realize you are not on the right path and spend your energy on something more promising.

I have alot more plans for our tC, alot more in the works now but the one thing I wanted more than anything was the CF roof which I have had for quite some time. I was willing to make a mold and build my own if I had to, that would of been a huge undertaking for one roof!

Rick
I agree on the roof, it's a big time consuming project. I still haven't found time to do it yet.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just installing it was alot of work, espectially the way we did ours to save as much weight as possible. Glad I did not have to build it!

Rick