Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

General question for FI noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default General question for FI noob

Well, I've been doing some research, and I must say that the sticky comparing the various FI options available has been a fantastic help. Now I'd like to hear some opinions from you gents...

In a few months I want to get a turbo kit. I was wondering if you guys could give me feedback on the kits you have or have worked with based on the following criteria.

1. Ease of install: I can work in my garage on jackstands, or if I get lucky, get to work inside an actual shop with lifts for 4-10 hours. I will definitely be asking my fellow local Scion owners for help as well.

2. Ease of tuning

3. Compatability with my car: No CEL, etc.

4. Bang for the buck: ratio of all of the above + whp/tq gain + cost

I know these are a lot of factors, but it'd be great if some of you guys could help me out, and I'm sure there are others out there like me with these burning queations. As a last question, for something like a turbo, do you guys reccomend a DIY install, or just take it to a performance shop?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went through your situation about two months ago. I ordered the Sound performance kit and will be installing it myself in a few weeks.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113091

Where abouts are you in GA? I live near Greenville, SC. If you could spare a day or two you can come up here and watch/help with the install and heartaches (if any) of DIM (doing it myself) when the kit comes in.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

1) Each kit has their fair share of install difficulties. There is not one kit available that the DIY had issues or came across an issue while installing. That's why I choose to have the Pro's that designed the kit, actually install it for us. No Headaches that way, and we can drive away happy.

2) The stock ECU is very smart. So, whichever kit you choose, you will have a small hurdle to overcome with tunning using a Piggy Back. The most sold Piggy Backs for the tC have been E-manage, and Unichip, as ZPI, Turbonetics, and Dezod are the dominant turbokits on this board. ZPI and Dezod use E-manage, and TN uses Unichip.

3) That's just a matter of tunning.

4) The fastest recorded tC's on the streets and track, are running the ZPI kits. Ironically using the smallest turbine, and are quicker than the cars running T3/T4 setups. Some of the other kits could possibly yeild slightly more whp/tq, but are not as quick spooling as the turbine used by ZPI. But at the same time, the wait for the fastest kit is a lot longer than the other kits. If you don't race your car, then your fine, and can choose any kit out there. But if you want to be the fastest, I don't know anyone else who pushes the tC to limits with aggressive tuning and bad a$$ 1/4 mile times with fast trap speeds as ZPI does.

PS...This is a matter of opinion, to which we all have one. But at the end of the day, track #'s and who crosses the line first is all that matters.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Hmmm thanks for the replies. Any other opinions?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ga huh? I think you should probably go with a ZPI stage 0 with emanage. The stage 0 is as straight forward as it gets and emanage is pretty straight forward as well from what I hear
Old 05-31-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by xavier
Ga huh? I think you should probably go with a ZPI stage 0 with emanage. The stage 0 is as straight forward as it gets and emanage is pretty straight forward as well from what I hear
I was considering the ZPI stage 0, is it difficult to install, or should I just take a four hour drive to KY have them install and tune it?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ZPI Stage 0 doesnt come with any engine managment... you dont need to tune it. But alot it seems have chosen to get management.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the car will run like junk without management...keep that in mind
Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
the car will run like junk without management...keep that in mind
Not true. ZPI's stage 0 runs just fine with no engine management whatsoever. The tCs have a computer that "learns" and will adjust the fuel maps accordingly. Once you get above 6-8psi of boost, then you will need to add some engine management.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I dunno man, I have helped out a friend with his stage 0 and it didnt run good at all without management. Every other person on the site that started out with just a stage 0 the car didnt run right without managment. Does your car run right with the stage 0 only....honestly?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So far, I've heard from a future owner of the Sound Performance, and the ZPI owner. Anyone with the Greddy's and Turbonetics, please feel free to interject by all means =) I'd like to get as many knowledgable opinions as possible before I do this. Also any pre-boost work you think should be done to ease the transition would be welcome (Quaife Diff, stage 2 clutch, etc.)
Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rabid_Lemming
So far, I've heard from a future owner of the Sound Performance, and the ZPI owner. Anyone with the Greddy's and Turbonetics, please feel free to interject by all means =) I'd like to get as many knowledgable opinions as possible before I do this. Also any pre-boost work you think should be done to ease the transition would be welcome (Quaife Diff, stage 2 clutch, etc.)
I have the turbonetics kit. It was the first turbo kit I ever installed. Installation was a pleasure. I think its the best all around kit out. U should get it retuned to your cars needs. Retune, boost controller(10psi) and clutch = smile on your face. Get the kit and u will not be sorry. I just installed a srp mbc set at 9psi and it rips. Tuned at 10psi and u will smoke your tires up to 75mph. Keep in mind u will need a new clutch soon after install.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Turbonetics kit is good. If you want to be turboed for the sake of being turboed, then it dosen't matter what kit you choose. But if you want to have the fastest tC on your block, and you want to know who has the fastest tC's on the street then you go with a ZPI Stage 1 plain and simple.