Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Getting Tuned on Friday! A little Nervous though!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you know the owner, you shoudl totally ask if he'll pay for it if is tuner blows your block. If he says yes...hell, turn it up to 20!

No, really, if you want 10, do 10. Run it for awhile and see how you like it.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I've got great news. The motor got toasted . I was sitting there and watched it happen. The tuner and I pulled in the car and he installed the TurboXS boost controller, which he did perfectly correct. had it turned so that the car could get a run on just the wastegate spring. First pull, overboosted to 20 pounds and he immediately let off. Car idles fine, drives fine, perfect oil pressure, intact block, but you can hear the rod....The boost controller was acting funky though until we took it apart and put it back together, then it worked perfectly.

So now it's time for low compression pistons and stronger rods! As soon as we get them we're going back to work. Expect numbers off a built block by the end of next week. It sucks really bad but at least it can be rebuilt better and stronger...
Old 05-19-2007, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rodlandscion
Well I've got great news. The motor got toasted . I was sitting there and watched it happen. The tuner and I pulled in the car and he installed the TurboXS boost controller, which he did perfectly correct. had it turned so that the car could get a run on just the wastegate spring. First pull, overboosted to 20 pounds and he immediately let off. Car idles fine, drives fine, perfect oil pressure, intact block, but you can hear the rod....The boost controller was acting funky though until we took it apart and put it back together, then it worked perfectly.

So now it's time for low compression pistons and stronger rods! As soon as we get them we're going back to work. Expect numbers off a built block by the end of next week. It sucks really bad but at least it can be rebuilt better and stronger...

Umm...So it blew up... DAMN it MAN!

FYI....I have the same BC on our car. If you read the directions, it says that you need to turn it all the way down first, as it comes pre-set completely open (aka..20 PSI). I think your tuner missed a step when installing it. It's not likely to just straight up malfunction when it's Brand New. I think he didn't turn it down like the instructions state, and blew your block to pieces.

In the instructions, it says to turn it all the way down (closed), and then give it 3 full turns to increase to your FIRST extra PSI level. After that, for every ONE full turn, you go up 1 PSI.

Sorry to hear about another tC needing a heart transplant.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That blows. Is that going to have to come out of your pocket? Or is the shop going to cover some of it?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:09 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ouch. sorry to hear that. i hope the shop is helping you out.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

wow, you should have listened to your first impression of him man! =(
Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 PM
SL Member

you arent going to continue to let this guy work on your car are you???
Old 05-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Your kidding right??!?!
Old 05-19-2007, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I double checked his work when he was done and it was closed and completely turned clockwise.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Paul,
What part do you think he is kidding about?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who up here is breakin-I mean tuning your car? That's insane it trashed on the first pull.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

No I double checked his work when he was done and it was closed and completely turned clockwise.

Damn...I'm speechless then.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
SL Member

your wastegate should have 2 prongs coming off of it. were you running vacum lines to both prongs from your boost controller? if you were, this makes that perticular model work in reverse. it happened to me too. not that bad though.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
your wastegate should have 2 prongs coming off of it. were you running vacum lines to both prongs from your boost controller? if you were, this makes that perticular model work in reverse. it happened to me too. not that bad though.
No it was hooked up properly as well...
Old 05-20-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Paul,
What part do you think he is kidding about?
Long story but basically I have bad luck with forced induction lol...
Old 05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn man, that terrible, i really hope that u dont go back to this guy 2 tune your car....i never heard of a car blow on the first pull thats just sad i repeat do NOT go back to these tuner
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

If everything was hooked up correctly as mentioned, then it's not the tuners fault.

Did the tuner also install your kit the same day? If not, did you ever get into boost while driving prior to making it to the dyno?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The kits been on since February and I've been running on the base map with 8 pounds no problems.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Did you make a pass on the dyno at 8lbs?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah....were not getting the whole story here.

Quick Reply: Getting Tuned on Friday! A little Nervous though!