Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Greddy Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy Turbo Kit

Hi all,

I just purchased a greddy turbo kit, and was wondering if there was anything beside the parts included in the kit that I should consider (both for handling the additional power and maintaining the turbo).

I was thinking that I should upgrade my clutch, but wasn't sure which 'stage' clutch or brand would be good. I also was planning on purchasing the thermostat and spark plugs from the TRD Supercharger Kit (which I think should keep the engine cooler, but correct me if I'm wrong). I also know I need guages, but am unsure again which type or brand. I have read information regarding 'wideband' gauges? Lastly, I was thinking tubro timer. Aging, not sure if I should shop price or brand specific (or are they all the same). Also, I have read things about the greddy pressurse sensor? What exactly is it and does it come in the kit.

And of course, tuning. I planning on using PTuning in MD. I read good things about them, but they seem expensive ($250 first hour, $150 thereafter).

Anything else, that I should need or be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Thermostat is not needed but i thought about using it as well so who knows.

Spark plugs do not order from the SC kit. Buy NGK Iridiums in 1 or 2 steps colder depending on how much boost you run. I would say 2 just cuz it cant hurt. I ran 2 steps colder on 5 psi.

As far as gauges I think there are 3 important MUSTS:
AEM Wideband gauge to monitor your Air/Fuel ratios which is VERY important so you can tell if your car is running lean or rich.
Boost and oil pressure gauge. Brand doesnt really matter but you get what you pay for. I ran Defi Blue Racer gauges and loved them. Best out there for quality IMO.

Turbo Timer.... Get the greddy one. I liked it a lot or almost any big brand one is good. Stay away from cheap ebay brands and that goes for anything turbo related.

The pressure sensor is for the Greddy Emanage and I am not sure if it comes with your kit or not but I highly doubt it. You can order it from Dezod.com

Tuning no matter what is going to be expensive. PTuning is the **** so definitely go to them if you can. Just bite the bullet and pay for good tuning and you should only have to have the car tuned once as long as you dont do any other mods: IE... exhaust, up the boost, boost controller, etc.

Hope that helps you out some
Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info, it really helps.

I do have a question, though, if you don't mind.

What exactly is a wideband? Is that how the guages work?

Also, what is a pressure sensor? What is its purpose? Does this relate to the O2 sensor? Will I need something to help me pass emissions?

Sorry for all the question, but I'm really excited for the kit/to expand my knowledge on the subject.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Well a wideband is basically an O2 sensor much like the stock ones on your header and s-pipe. It simply reads the air and fuel mixture ration and displays them on the gauge and tells you if the car is running lean or rich.
Lean = motor go BOOM. Rich = pretty safe.

You have to have another bung welded onto your s-pipe for the sensor to go in. Search and there is a good thread somewhere as to the position on the spipe.

A pressure sensor... im not exactly what it is but I know it is used for tuning and have been told u pretty much need it for the tC for tuning. Give Paul at Dezod a call and im sure he can explain what exactly it is. I myself used the AEM F/IC so i didnt need a pressure sensor.

As far as emissions... the only kit that will pass is the Dezod kit with a cat in the turbo downpipe and then leave your stock midpipe on. It still wont pass visual inspection though.

Dont be sorry for asking questions! I once didnt know one single thing about turbos. haha. Just takes time and experiece to learn about it.

One more thing I would HIGHLY recommend is an Oil Catch Can and Greddy makes a great one if you want it to match your kit and look nice.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

engine management? lol........i dont think your kit comes w/ one.

aem fuel ig. controller
greddy ultimate
and if ur a big money baller geta haltech, aem, or hydra standalone.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I forgot to mention, I'm getting ultimate with it.

Greddy Oil Catch Can/Timer/ PRessure Sensor/Wideband gauges.........check.

What about the clutch any suggestion?

Also, do you thinkt he thermostat is useless or just an unnecessary precaution?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Well I used to have a supercharger and had the thermo stat so honestly It cant hurt at all. It will just make the engine run a lil cooler which is good because the turbo gets HOT.

And as far as clutch im not sure as I had an automatic but I have heard good things about ACT and Competition but I cant recommend which so heres a link with all of them:
http://www.dezod.com/cat_clutches.cfm
Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spoke to someone at P-Tuning and told me I needed a pressure sensor and a boost controller for Tuning purposes. I was kinda surprised about the boost controller as I thought the wastegate took care of that. Does anyone know why I need the boost controller as well and how it works differently from the wastegate?

Also, he indicated to me that my car will be fine on the base maps provided with ultimate and tuning (specific to my car) was only needed for more power. I thought I read that you should get your car tuned whether or not you had a base map with the management system? Any experiences?

Lastly, he indicated to me that I should get a stage 3 clutchmasters or a stage 2 exedy as well as a findanza fly wheel? My question is that overkill, or is it really needed to hook up a greddy kit with a modest tune (6psi)?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not a necessity, but your clutch will wear prematurely from the added torque.

As for the pressure gauge, yes it is better to have it for tuning. Get it.

Boost controller - maybe they want to up the boost? Let them know you rather run off of the wastegate.

Fidanza flywheel isn't needed either - but it's nice to have.. will help quicken the spool.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. So my only question is, do i really need to get it tuned or can I run the emanage ulimate basemaps that come with the kit?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I almost forgot. I read that I will require 93 octane for the kit and synthetic oil is recomended (Mobile 1 5-30).

My questions is, how should I make the switch. By that I mean, should i run the 93 octane for a couple of weeks prior to the turbo kit (to get the ECU used to the higher octane). And for the oil, is there anything special i should do when I switch it, or just switch it? The reason I ask is on my motorcycle forum, certain people advised against switching to synethetic. not sure why though.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichTc
I almost forgot. I read that I will require 93 octane for the kit and synthetic oil is recomended (Mobile 1 5-30).

My questions is, how should I make the switch. By that I mean, should i run the 93 octane for a couple of weeks prior to the turbo kit (to get the ECU used to the higher octane). And for the oil, is there anything special i should do when I switch it, or just switch it? The reason I ask is on my motorcycle forum, certain people advised against switching to synethetic. not sure why though.
Yes I would get it tuned.. I don't rely on any basemaps.

As for the fuel, you should try and get a couple of full tanks cycled through before installing.

Same thing for the oil. Some people do synthetic blend first.. but I switched right over. I've had a couple of synthetic oil changes now, so I'm ready for my install.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks.

Do you think a 'few' is necessary? I'm up for an oil change (and would be switching to synthetic) but would have to wait to End of November for the next and wanted to get my kit on in October.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't need to wait that long for another oil change. Do your first synthetic one now.. and after like 1000 miles do the next one. You're gonna have to change the oil again anyways when you install the turbo - so be prepared for that one too.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will do.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

you dont really have to be fully synthetic few oil changes before, i changed to synthetic during the turbo install since you will have to change oil when installing anyways.. if you dont drive hard with the turbo you can even use regular oil, some say regular is good for conditioning the seals then change to synthetic after 500 miles..

but yeah get those suggested:
Air/fuel gauges (widewand), boost gauge, oil pressure gauge and EGT gauge of you can spend on that..
pressure sensor is highly recommended when using the emanages
clutch i recommend at least a stage 3 but you can do that later, i ran about 8K on stock clutch before i swapped and the stock is stil good
flywheel you dont really need
a tune is what you need, basemap can make you car run though but a tune will make it safer
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually got a PM from Mike at PTuning (very helpful) which helped clear things up.

He did indicate that the car was fine to run with the basemaps that included in the greddy kit with the upgraded ultimate out of the box (5 or 6 PSI).

So as that is the PSI I am looking for, am wary to spend the extra money for the pressure sensor, boost controller (if I want to go over 5 or 6 on my second map) and the tune, if it is not necssary.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go for it. Just remember that it's a generic base map created to be safe for customers all over the US. The map will be ultra conservative and will be really rich. Overly rich maps can foul O2 sensors quickly and are obviously worse for gas mileage.

My Turbonetics kit comes with a basemap as well.. I'm definitely going to get a tuner "clean" it up a little. But that's just me.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'll probably get it tuned eventually, but would rather wait if possible as the turbo is already burning a hole through my pocket!!!

Good luck with you kit!!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you read the catch can article in 2uner it helps you add a little bit of horsepower, like 2. That really doesnt matter, what matters is keeping those valves and intake free of sludge. You can see the sludge in the valve exhaust pipe, my car only has 2k miles on it but i can see a little build up.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Kit