Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Greddy Turbo Kit for tC out now

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member

Im Glad I live in IOWA ....NO EMISSIONS!!!! Im gonna get the GReddy as I have plans for some custom work and tunes and Adding it all up, its gonna be cheaoer for me at this juncture
Old 03-29-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

With the turbonetics kit being so expensive. You have larger injectors, and all the stuff you need for 400 hp... All you got to do is turn the boost up to 12 psi for those numbers.

Also the kit doesn't come with injectors. and the e-manage is tuned for 440s. So you'll need to buy injectors along with ecu, along with the bov, and the extra accessories for the base e-manage so it would have all the functions of the unichip (w/o the flux capacitor)

its cheaper.. But if you are looking at it like that. Building your own kit all together would be cheaper too.

I'm dissapointed with the Greddy kit. I was expecting too much I guess.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still holding out for 2 other groups with kits in development before I make my decision.
?
Sound Performance (waiting to see how their Stage 2 and Tuner kits perform) and then this group down in Alabama that have been posting their development progress on the YSTC forums. Right now, for me, it's a choice between those 2 and the supercharger.

And as for the header / cat thing. It does not matter if you put another one on. If you remove or even replace a working catalytic converter, it's a federal offense. It doesn't even involve an emissions test. It's all 50 states.

The odds of getting a cop who not only knows that law but knows that theres a cat in the oem header are slim, but there's probably one out there and he's probably the kind of _______ to write you up for it too. All depends on where you live and the cops that are there. If you're in CA, for example, getting an aftermarket header is, imo, an act of lunacy :p
Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbonetics is a great company but def overpriced because of the name. As for the cat unless you are going to get pulled over and a cop will look under (in most cases when he will simply tell you to go get one installed) you will be ok, as for emmisions, I dont know where you guys have been but there is a ton of other places to get those stickers. Ask the people around you with aftermarket turbos, a lot run no cats, and get their emmission stickers. Also unless you are running open wastegate(hehe I guess I know too many people that dont like to sacrifice power) with a tune for emmisions you will pass anyways without a cat, however that as well is only if they dont check under the car for a cat but then you can always fabricate a fake looking one.

And of course one last thing if your car is new (which I think every person with a scion has) you dont have to pass emmissions for 4 years. you are telling me that you cant get a few extra pipes to put on your exhaust to pass specificaly for emissions and then switch is back. Use the stock piping for the midpipe and fabricate something for the wastegate.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That weird, I have noticed that everybody that bought a brand new scion that comes with 4 years without emmission, I got a 2 years and gotta get the emission check in 2007. I'm sure when I got the Turbonetics with cat verison, I'll def pass the test. I was wondering, does cat cut some horsepower, for example, Turbonetics provide 300 horse and with cat will be 268?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElDiablo17
That weird, I have noticed that everybody that bought a brand new scion that comes with 4 years without emmission, I got a 2 years and gotta get the emission check in 2007. I'm sure when I got the Turbonetics with cat verison, I'll def pass the test. I was wondering, does cat cut some horsepower, for example, Turbonetics provide 300 horse and with cat will be 268?
Yes, the cat will kill some HP, not sure how much, but it will.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THAT SUX! It sux to live in the state where they required emission test and I dont want to replace everytime I go get a test. At least it still push really good horsepower though and upgrade some more horse.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

With the development of high flow cats. Some cars benefit from the very little restriction they have.

And a 12 second carb legal car, from a mid 15 second 4 cyl is much more impressive than a 10 second track car from the same 4 cyl in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Turbonetics is a great company but def overpriced because of the name. As for the cat unless you are going to get pulled over and a cop will look under (in most cases when he will simply tell you to go get one installed) you will be ok, as for emmisions, I dont know where you guys have been but there is a ton of other places to get those stickers. Ask the people around you with aftermarket turbos, a lot run no cats, and get their emmission stickers. Also unless you are running open wastegate(hehe I guess I know too many people that dont like to sacrifice power) with a tune for emmisions you will pass anyways without a cat, however that as well is only if they dont check under the car for a cat but then you can always fabricate a fake looking one.

And of course one last thing if your car is new (which I think every person with a scion has) you dont have to pass emmissions for 4 years. you are telling me that you cant get a few extra pipes to put on your exhaust to pass specificaly for emissions and then switch is back. Use the stock piping for the midpipe and fabricate something for the wastegate.
What is overpriced about it? Theres not one single item in the kit that will hold you back from 400+ HP and at the same time is top noth quality. I think its priced VERY reasonably.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

^^^
Gonna have to agree here... The MRSP is a lil steep. but they are selling below MSRP. So get it while it lasts guys.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MSRP is steep because it is a complete kit.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
MSRP is steep because it is a complete kit.
Lucky for you guys most shops don't sell for MSRP. They sell it at a lower cost...:D
Old 03-31-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, the GReddy turbo kit would be looking like this one?

Old 03-31-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

It is that one. Tubular manifold. 18g turbo and fmic.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome... it looks pretty good. Also its performance is great... it produce 100whp... in adition to that, it can be able increase by installing an emanage and injectors... are we talking about 120whp for less than $4000? (2700 shipped and 900 emanage Ultimate and injectors)

prices with pracing.com
Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone tried this kit, Im prty sure someone tried it out for greddy before it came out. how does it feel and do you think it will have any problems with installation and stuff?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

check out what ptuning is offering.......http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Des...y&ModelDesc=tC[/url]
Old 04-03-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ashraf2500
has anyone tried this kit, Im prty sure someone tried it out for greddy before it came out. how does it feel and do you think it will have any problems with installation and stuff?
Finding someone to TIG weld a BOV flange could be a pain. Not every muffler shop welds aluminum. Thats a little setback.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Well the SP kit is also a full bolt on. The SP comes with every thing needed to put the kit on. The SP kit also makes the most power on 7lbs of boost.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Originally Posted by ashraf2500
Finding someone to TIG weld a BOV flange could be a pain. Not every muffler shop welds aluminum. Thats a little setback.
can you ellaborate on the welding part of the flange? I thought most BOV used some type o T-fitting to install. Im not to familiar with well=ding a flange to install a BOV? Im really interested in the kit but not sure o the hassle to get it working?

What kind of BOV would you guys recoommend with this kit?

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Kit for tC out now