Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Guages and guage placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
anyone have any input on the megan racing gauges? i like the look, and they are fairly inexpensive. any thoughts?
anyone have any thoughts?

here is the link:
http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...idCategory=907
Old 06-01-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those gauges look real nice. And the price is right.
I don't know...I have an issue buying Megan stuff because of the lack of RnD that went into their springs, but I've heard good things about their coilovers. I'm sure their gauges come from another department, and I'd like to see if anyone else has tried them out.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mr meaty, i think i want to go with autometer or aem. i want a boost/vac gauge. but each one ive found is over 200.
and i agree on the megan gauges, they look real nice, but i just dont trust their parts that much.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My AEM gauges were close to $300 each, except oil pressure which was just under $200. Autometer has many styles, and I beleive their cobalt and carbon fiber series are less expensive. here is a link to the carbon fiber series at dezod's website:
http://www.dezod.com/cat_carbon_fiber.cfm
I'm not sure which are boost/vac and which are only boost, but you can compare the part numbers with autometers' website.
I would recomend splurging on the AFR and getting it from AEM. dezod has that as well for $309. and alot of people say it's the best. Then get autometer for the rest of your gauges, if you wanna save a little cash.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by olaHalo
mr meaty, i think i want to go with autometer or aem. i want a boost/vac gauge. but each one ive found is over 200.
and i agree on the megan gauges, they look real nice, but i just dont trust their parts that much.
whats wrong with the megan parts? are you talking about there parts in general? i have some of their parts, and I love them all. I just dont want to spend another grand on gauges alone. i think that cost alone is rediculous. you can get some coilovers for that price.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I spent about $800 on 3 AEM gauges and a gaugepod.
I'm hoping megan's gaguges are good, because they look nice, and I'm considering them for my next 3 (egt and some others) The only BAD thing I've heard was Megan's springs, but bcnu just got them on, and their supposed to be redone, so if they turn out to be good, my confidence will be restored in the company.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone have any input on the megan racing gauges? i like the look, and they are fairly inexpensive. any thoughts?

here is the link:
Chances are, those gauges are mechanical and not electircal. Therefore, they are not as accurate.
Here is why:

Originally Posted by Joe Dezod
There are two major types of gauges out there, electrical and mechanical. It should be obvious which one is better. In case you don’t know, yes it’s electrical! They are far more accurate, easier to install, and can offer more features such as data logging or linking (connecting 2 or more gauges together to work with each other). The only downside is the cost. Typical electronic boost gauges will go for around $200 where most mechanical gauges cost about $50-60. It’s better to have a cheap gauge than to not have one at all. So if you’re putting a turbo or S/C on your car, you want to have a gauge, regardless of the type.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
I've heard was Megan's springs, but bcnu just got them on, and their supposed to be redone, so if they turn out to be good, my confidence will be restored in the company.
bcnu's springs either havent settled yet, or the settled wrong. the back springs look higher than stock, and the front springs look lower than 2.5 inches.
his car looks like a drag car. its kinda cool, but not the way its supposed to be
Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc

here is the link:
Chances are, those gauges are mechanical and not electircal. Therefore, they are not as accurate.
Here is why:

Originally Posted by Joe Dezod
There are two major types of gauges out there, electrical and mechanical. It should be obvious which one is better. In case you don’t know, yes it’s electrical! They are far more accurate, easier to install, and can offer more features such as data logging or linking (connecting 2 or more gauges together to work with each other). The only downside is the cost. Typical electronic boost gauges will go for around $200 where most mechanical gauges cost about $50-60. It’s better to have a cheap gauge than to not have one at all. So if you’re putting a turbo or S/C on your car, you want to have a gauge, regardless of the type.
Well in that case, how inaccurate are mechanical guages to electrical guages? im gonna send an email to Megan and see what they say. I think that would be better to get an answer from the company they are coming from.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

olahalo:
Well, that's better then the old ones which looked higher then stock in front and were lower then 2.5 in the back!!!
Hopefully, they settle a little more. My hothckis took a good 3 weeks to fully settle.

2 much tc:
That's a great idea! Let us know what megan says about them.

By the way, it seems like most of GlowShift's gauges are electrical, and still under $100, except their boost gauges which are mechanical.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think ill get the best boost/vac gauge and AFR gauge i can get. dont want to be cheap when it comes to car parts as critical as gauges
Old 06-02-2007, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

just wanna say, i have the megan voltage gauge, works great, looks great, and as accurate as i think it can be.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. Being a volt gauge, I would assume it's electical, not mechanical. Do you have any other megan gauges?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a question about where to put the gauges... for everyone who used the pillar gauges on the side... how did you get past the airbags??
Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
it really isnt a problem, they go on like normal.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ your cant use gauge pillar if you have side airbags
Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ill post some pics of mine....lol
and yes i have side curtain airbags.
like i said it goes on like normal
Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i understand that, but what is gonna happen if your airbags go off?
Old 07-14-2008, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i can only speculate, but the same thing as if they whernt, only diff is you have gauges flying at u....lol

I dont really know....lol
Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spico jw why are looking for a spot to put gauges? You got some kind of forced induction waiting around? also I want your fogs! This never went through, shoot me a pm lemme know how your living

Quick Reply: Guages and guage placement