Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Has anyone seen a Roots Style Supercharger for the TC.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Has anyone seen a Roots Style Supercharger for the TC.

My bestfriend owns a 2000 pontiac grand prix gtp with a roots supercharger. I kinda like it. I was wondering if anyone new if they made a root style supercharger for the TC. I love turbos and all, but i know with a roots style supercharger i will have instantaneous power instead of getting the lag you get when your using a turbo.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No.....the tC has a centrifugal supercharger! no roots charger has been developed..
Old 03-02-2008, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only trd makes a supercharger (real supercharger, not those cheap electric ones on ebay) for the tc.

nobody is going to make an aftermarket supercharger for the tc because trd already does make one.

think about it, trd supercharger comes with great fit, reflash for tun, and a warranty on parts, and or joins your powertrain warranty (if installed new by dealership)

an aftermarket party can't make a set up like that.

also, take the time, look at the layout of your engine. fitting a roots stlye blower is very impractical. so your stuck with the trd centrifugal supercharger.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Yeah

Yeah i know about the trd supercharger and all that good stuff. There great products. I was just curious if anyone has heard of anyone making a custom intake manifold and piecing it together a root style supercharger. I dont know what the hell I want anymore. 1 day i want a turbo, the next a trd supercharger, and now a roots supercharger. LOL. Im all messed up. Personally I love the Dezod Turbo kit but for 4 grand without tune, its kinda pricey for me. Turbotoyotas has that brawler kit for about 2grand, still waiting for info on that. And I think that for about 4 grand for the trd supercharger including the install is kinda pricey for only 40-50 hp at the crank. Thats alot of money for only 40-50 hp. If my bestfriend puts 4-5 grand into his GTP he would push around 500 whp. Hes only done cams, ugraded his supercharger and pulley, headers, exhaust and dynoed at 320 hp. He spent a total of under 2 grand for about 100whp. Stuff for the TC is to damn pricey.

Thanks Guys.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, but your friends GTP started out with a considerably higher MSRP, an came with a bigger engine (are they factory supercharged?) and whatever. they have a completely differently layout.

lets say paxton wanted to make a supercharger for the tc, they'ed have to either offer a centrifical supercharger like trd already does, or they could make a kit that some how manages to make an efficient tightly packed in roots type blower. but doing all that r and d, and manufacturing that kit would cost probably as much as the trd supercharger kit, or even more.

but the trd has warranty, good fit, safe trd tune. paxton would at best only have one of those three things. but hey, spending all that money on a paxton supercharger would be stupid because an aftermarket turbo kit would be just as risky as a supercharger, but have much larger horsepower returns.

so it just really isn't worthwhile for anybody to try and fit their own supercharger kit on the tc. it would be nice to have the options, but it just isn't going to happen.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default You

You know what your a pretty intelligent guy. Your right. What was I thinking. Stupidity gets the best of me. END THIS THREAD PLZ, dumb@ss me has got my answer. No need wasting my time with a root. Turbo or TRD for me.

Thanks Bro.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its alla bout space. Not enough room back there to make it work.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 AM
SL Member

Gotta agree with drax on this one, TRD put their time and money in developing it as an option and their main draw to it is the fact that it is a good design, but also warrantied and joins your powertrain warranty if installed by the dealer. I don't know for sure, but I don't know if any companies even offer warranties on their products past a year (if that) and if you do extra stuff to it (pulley...etc) you void the warranties in most cases.

As said by others, for safety and a small gain, but a bit higher $ go with the TRD SC, for higher power and more options go turbo.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

this has now sparked my interest in the turbotoyota kits. if there is such thing as 'boosting on a budget', the 'Simple' kit seem like a decent way to go. i havent looked too far into them as of yet, other than reading what is all included in the kit, but what kind of gains would i be looking at if i went with this kit? i have a good friend who is a great import mechanic and can really educate me on the set ups and install as well (he rebuilt his civic engine and did his own turbo install).
Old 03-02-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: You

Originally Posted by KillaSpiceTSW
You know what your a pretty intelligent guy. Your right. What was I thinking. Stupidity gets the best of me. END THIS THREAD PLZ, dumb@ss me has got my answer. No need wasting my time with a root. Turbo or TRD for me.

Thanks Bro.
I don't think this is a stupid question ... the m62 would work fine on the tC. I have seen a roots TRD made to the previous generation corolla. On a Saturn SC, I saw one mounted over the header & routed to the intake .. a configuration that'd work on the tC.

I think TRD saw that while a roots does have a potential for higer boost/less lag the roots is essentially not as thermally efficient as a centrifugal.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the supercharger is in front on those most not all but most of those style chargers are on cars that the intake is on our exhaust. liek the matrix/corolla has the "roots" style charger cause of the intake location.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

If you want a roots supercharger, drop the GTP engine into the tC.... thats probably the only way to have one....