Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

HELP - Dezod - Anyone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 PM

Default HELP - Dezod - Anyone!

I purchased the PnP harness and AEM F/IC from dezod a couple months ago. Finished installing custom turbo yesterday, and the car started up fine with no management, no CEL no problems. Today I installed my F/IC with the harness and the car had the hardest time starting up, but finally got going, but I've thrown a CEL, I ran an OBD II diagnostic check, and it's (P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction ). The only changes I've made to the AEM is to pull about 20% fuel at idle because the car was running pig rich, so I tried the test jig. Same result. Back to stock, no code, but back to running rich. I visually inspected the camshaft position sensor, nothing wrong there and I never messed with it during installation. If you're following me, everything I've tried is pointing to the issue being in the PnP harness.

stock ecu - no code
aem - code
aem with test jig - code
back to stock - no code

I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, any suggestions?

If anyone else has used the harness with the F/IC, was there a setting you had to change in the software in order to avoid this problem?

PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

um...is it tuned? or are there 0s in all the maps?
The car won't run with the F/IC and no tune. There isn't a base map either, but I could send you a couple that I have to at least get you started.

pm me your email address.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM

The only thing I have changed so far is I did the RPM, and TPS calibration, and then I changed the MAF maps in order to cut back about %20 fuel at idle because the car was running very rich. I PMed you for the maps, thanks for the help.

C.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Just a thought, but if the tuning aspect were the issue, then the CEL would have been gone and car would have started up fine when I put the test jig in line. The issue HAS to be with the harness. Question for anyone from Dezod- Is there anyway to test the harness, or a particular wire in the harness? I visually inspected the cam position sensor wire (blue/black pin 9 on the 24 pin connector of the harness) and it looks fine. All the wires look fine. Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Okay, it appears I solved the problem. For some reason pin 22 (blue/grey from the 22 pin PnP harness) was not plugged in anywhere else on the harness. This wire is (cam pos sensor +) After looking at the ECU pinout, I found that it should have been plugged into C-27 of harness that goes into the factory ECU. I simply plugged it in, reset the ECU, and there's no more CEL code, and the car started up fine. Thanks for your help Mr meaty. I would still like you to send me those maps if you could. Thanks again!

C,
Old 10-07-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wierd.
anyway, i got your PM and was like "who the hell? what the hell? OH YEAH!"
email sent.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 PM

Very weird. I don't know if it arrived disconnected, or if I somehow disconnected it accidentally, but nonetheless it's problem solved. Thanks again for those maps. They'll be a great place to start. I will probably only need to make minor adjustments as I have 550cc inj, as opposed to 650 like you. Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:45 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what year harness and whatnot you got?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, I wish I knew how to tune. I have 2 maps that are really close, but I dont' know where to make adjustments to get in the middle. And I don't feel like forking over $250 for a new tune from a new shop since my old tuner is moving.

If you can provide any tips after looking at my maps, I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 PM

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, because by no means am I experienced at this, BUT.. My suggestion would be to load the closest map you have and then log some WOT runs. Once you have that data, look at the AFR's throughout your range to determine where you need to add or pull fuel. Then run it again until you have fine tuned it. The part I get confused about it is that any change you make to the fuel map, you will need to make a similar adjustment in your MAF or MAP tables in order to keep the trims as close to zero as possible. Right now I have only pulled about 20% fuel between idle and up until I get to boost. This is working for me right now because I'm keeping the car out of boost until the turbo is broken in some. When looking at the diagnostics page in the AEM software, it looks like my adjustment has the fuel trim between 0 and -2 which means the factory ECU is only trying to take about 2% fuel at worst, and when at 0, it is on the same page as the AEM. There is more information about this in the AEM forums where you pointed me. Once I have the turbo broken in, I will try to fine tune the C. maps you gave me, but unfortunetly I don't know if they will help you as I have 550cc inj, and you have 650cc I believe, but if I figure anything else out with it I will let you know. Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. And the Xero map is similar, but I believe that was tuned with 550cc injectors, so you might have more luck with that.

Where is the diagnostics page in the software?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

phil, can you give me those two maps so i can load them while i wait for money to tune my car?

or figure it out myself cuz i have nothing else better to do

we both have 650cc's right?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM

My mistake on the disgnostics page. I was looking at the gauges in the AEM software, and the diagnostics page in my OBD-II software. Sorry about that. I haven't tried the Xero map yet. Right now I am running on the C. map, but I still seem to be running rich. Basically:

Idle - A little rough, but between 500-700 RPM
Any gear through 3000 RPM seems to be fine, but the minute I get above 3K I begin to built an appreciable amount of boost and the car begins to bog. And by bog I mean jerk back and forth. Any suggestions? I have heard about other people having bogging issues, is this the car running too rich? Thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aen: I'll send you whatever maps you need. I think you should run pretty good on mine cause we have similar setups and are in the same temperature areas.

cpavli:
is that map running rich when your out of boost?
and how rich does it get when you get into boost? If your AFR are dropping below 10, it will bog (mine does) if you really pound on the gas.
Also, have you checked your plugs (or changed them) to see if they are fouled?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I`suggest running a autolite copper plug while tuning. there really good, a stage colder and there only a 1.19 a piece.
autolite 3923 is the part number.. don't foul out expensive plugs.

also i'm not too familair with the AEM FIC but I do have good tuning experience. I'll take a look at a map if anyone likes. as long as I can see rpm, timing, afr and boost i should be good
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM

MR_Meaty: The map was running relatively rich all around. I had a really unstable idle with it (between 500-700) and it would never settle down. I tried making adjustments at idle, but I think the trims were too far off and the factory ecu was fighting my adjustments. I never actually got into boost, I'm still in my break in period but as I would get above 3000 rpm and begin to built pressure, the car would just rattle and it became annoying so I decided to put the test jig back in line for the time being. Because I'm only running 550cc inj, and my ex. WG is set at 3.5 psi, plus I'm not really getting into boost, the factory ECU has the car running really well. I'm ordering my turbo-mafia exhaust and boost controller on friday, so as soon as I get those on I will begin seriously trying to tune the car. Right now it's useless to tune without the exhaust, because I will just have to redo everything later. I will keep you posted. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions! Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with your logic.
Have you tried any of the other maps I sent you?
The "Base tune" i sent you is supposedlty the base from an NA tC set up by JR at AEM, so theoretically, that is the one you would want to start with. But neither I or 2 other guys could even get our cars started with that map. However, 2 others did use it, and it worked for them.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Didn't get a chance to try the X. or the S. map. I tried the base map but that one ran like crap. I finish my work weeks on Thursdays, so friday morning (assuming I'm not hung over to death) I will fool around with the other maps, and see if I can't figure the software out a little better. I will keep you posted, especially if I learn anything new with the software. Seems like there aren't too many of us running the AEM, and even fewer who are currently running it well. As for now though, the car is running awesome. I'm having a REAL hard time not just punching it to see what happens, but the way I see it, I would rather break the turbo in than break the engine.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know how it is! but I got on it a couple times, and with that small of a WG spring, you should be OK to get on it a little
I'll be expecting updates to this thread by the end of the weekend!

good luck and Happy Boosting!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:50 AM

Well, on the way home from work last night I decided to get on it a little, and the car took off pretty nice. Unfortunetly I'm gonna have to behave myself a little because as I was getting into boost, I noticed my AFR's running rich as hell. My zeitronix will save hi and low data, and it got as rich as 9.6. Until I tune a little, that is way to rich to risk. I don't want to foul the plugs and start a whole new problem, but other than that, it was good times.

Quick Reply: HELP - Dezod - Anyone!